× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Upgraded from netduma to xr500 for faster speeds ...

Upgraded from netduma to xr500 for faster speeds ...

Why is it such a struggle to just plug a router in and get the 1000down/up your isp is giving you. I spent $200 on netduma now $300 on xr500 I feel like I am literally getting hosed hard. I have cm1000 to the xr500 then multiply devices plus a r8000 in ap mode.
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Upgraded from netduma to xr500 for faster speeds ...

It would be preferred to have the XR wifi on the main level however if it has to be in the basement, then disable it's wifi radios and use the R8000s wifi in AP mode if it can be up on the main level. I would disable the X4 upstairs as well and see if the wifi from the R8000 in AP mode is sufficient for wifi upstairs. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Speed testings wired with the cable modem first. Then wired with the XR router while nothing else is connected? 

Did you walk thru the setup wizard when connecting it to the cable modem and you power cycled the cable modem as well? 

What FW version is loaded on the XR500? 

The max you'll see out of any 1G supporting router and capable PC is 900Mb + or -.

Message 2 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you put your expected speeds into the Anti-Bufferbloat bandwidth options? Are you running a wired speed test as well?

If you're using QoS you'll remember from the R1 that it'll throttle your speeds so after making sure you've entered the correct speeds make sure Anti-Bufferbloat is set to never and 100% then run the wired speed test.
Message 3 of 10

My biggest issue is that the internet works fine. Then WiFi keeps getting dropped and the wife is 😡. I was wondering if I have a r8000 in ap mode then the xr500 has to use the same MAC address as the r8000 does that mess with the network that they have the same MAC address? I just want to get this working. I get home and run me run the setup wizard and I will have internet on wired devices but not WiFi.
Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 4 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

MAC addresses should not be the same on any network. 

If you have the R8000 is AP mode, then you should disable the wifi radios ON the XR router unless you have a good distance between the XR and R router, 30-40 feet to start and you use manual channels on each farthest channels away from each other on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. 

@EurynomeStolas wrote:
My biggest issue is that the internet works fine. Then WiFi keeps getting dropped and the wife is 😡. I was wondering if I have a r8000 in ap mode then the xr500 has to use the same MAC address as the r8000 does that mess with the network that they have the same MAC address? I just want to get this working. I get home and run me run the setup wizard and I will have internet on wired devices but not WiFi.

Message 5 of 10

Ok thanks I will disable the WiFi on the XR then. I have the XR in the basement the R in the living room then I have a x4 upstairs. I think when I get home I just am going to unplug everything and start from scratch and reset
Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

It would be preferred to have the XR wifi on the main level however if it has to be in the basement, then disable it's wifi radios and use the R8000s wifi in AP mode if it can be up on the main level. I would disable the X4 upstairs as well and see if the wifi from the R8000 in AP mode is sufficient for wifi upstairs. 

Message 7 of 10

that is exactly what i did and ewverything seems to be running good for now. i will let you know if something comes up. i am going to be making a new post with a question about the devices on the device manager.

Message 8 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear, Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@EurynomeStolas wrote:

that is exactly what i did and ewverything seems to be running good for now. i will let you know if something comes up. i am going to be making a new post with a question about the devices on the device manager.

Message 9 of 10
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Thanks Furry for the great advice. Glad you got it sorted OP

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7