× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Using XR500 for just DumaOS?

Stylz
Tutor

Using XR500 for just DumaOS?

Hello Forum,

I'm hoping someone can give me instructions on using the XR500 gaming router between my Asus AC wireless router (which handles all wired/wireless traffic) and my PS4 console. I simply want to use the XR500 for the DumaOS/GeoFilter only; no wireless, DHCP, or any other feature will be used. Is it possible? What settings would be best for my needs? What should be enabled/disabled for this purpose? Am I able to assign a static IP to the XR500 within the Asus config page, then set and enable the XR500's DMZ for a static IP for my PS4? I've decided to use my tried and true Asus router for its excellent WiFi signals. Here is my current home setup:

Frontier Fios ONT (100/100 connection)->splitter->Ethernet ran to Asus/Coax ran to an ISP's Arris gateway for STB/VOD TV services (no wireless, DHCP or anything else enabled on the Arris). (also, for clarity purposes, I've followed a LAN-to-LAN configuration to use my Asus as my primary router and the ISP Arris just for it TV services. Article found here: Replacing the Actiontec (part 4): LAN-to-LAN keeps all devices on one network

Can anyone recommend and or suggest an optimal configuration to use the XR500 between my Asus and my wired PS4? Thank you for all replies! 🙂

Message 1 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

With your chosen setup you won't be able to use the XR500's QoS which is above and beyond what the Asus could provide.

However, basically what you said is correct. Disable the WiFi, DHCP (as long as you set a static IP for the PS4 and for a device which you'd use to access the interface for the Geo-Filter). Set a static IP for the XR500 in the Asus (and put in the DMZ to avoid double NAT issues) and put the PS4 in the XR500 DMZ. Nothing else really needs to be done.

I would advise against this setup though as there should be no need to use 2 routers. The XR500's wireless should be sufficient for your home.
Message 2 of 4
Stylz
Tutor

With this setup, couldn’t I still use the Netgears QOS, as well as the DumaOS geofiltering features?
Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You mean QoS from Settings? It's mostly removed as DumaOS QoS does a better job. I mean you can still use QoS but it is pretty pointless to do considering the Asus QoS would be handling devices downstream and therefore your PS4 also.
Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7