× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using centurylink fiber and bypassing their modem router using only my xr500

Ferzoco
Follower

Using centurylink fiber and bypassing their modem router using only my xr500

Hello,
I recently switched to century link fiber optic internet and was told that I could bypass the basic modem router combo provided by centurylink and use my xr500 directly with the fiber optic Ethernet cable. However the settings that need to be changed to allow this I don’t know what they are or how to do it as I am not the most tech savvy. I called into the help line (to which I have the subscription) and they were of ZERO help and had no idea what I was talking about. I’ve read online I would have to have some settings in the VLAN change? If some one could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Austin
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Using centurylink fiber and bypassing their modem router using only my xr500

What is the current modem/router combo model# unit being used with your ISP?

I would do a search of this modem model information and ISP name to see what information comes up for external routers being used with this service. You might call back to ask for higher escalated help. The ISP will have this information...

Message 2 of 3
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Using centurylink fiber and bypassing their modem router using only my xr500

This guide should help you on your way: https://superuser.com/questions/1148268/how-to-ditch-centurylink-fiber-modem looks like you need PPPoE and VLAN. Should be able to find the PPPoE details from your century link modem interface.
Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7