× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Using the Nighthawk XR 500 in AP mode

Murllin
Aspirant

Using the Nighthawk XR 500 in AP mode

I recently purchase the nighthawk XR500 router. It seems to have alot of great network performance enhancing features. However, my ISP provides a modem/router combo that is set up to provide wifi to one house and then the XR500 provides wifi for another house. I assume Im supposed to set up the XR500 as an Access point then since it is second down the line and (from what Ive read) will prevent any DNS conflicts. My concern then, is using the XR500 as an AP going to cripple its performance as a gaming hub. Should i be using a less expensive alternative as an AP. Since the ISP provided router is still handling the network addressing and all.
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

When in AP mode, ALL router features are disabled on the XR500. Only wireless is left running. 

You can do the following:

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem.

Message 2 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great advise above! What do you mean by two houses? As I would highly suggest you do not have anything connected to the ISP hub otherwise the QoS on the router will not be able to control all devices.
Message 3 of 10
Murllin
Aspirant

Thanks, those are good suggestions. I thought about bridging the connection. However in doing so that would disable the wifi access at the first house. Unfortunatly I have to provide wifi coverage for both homes. Would it be possible to instead, install a modem without router functions at the first home and then attach a switch to the modem. Would I be able to put a seperate wifi router in home #1 and then use my XR500 as a wifi router in home #2?
Message 4 of 10
Murllin
Aspirant

There are 2 houses because my set up is a bit unconventional. The ISP in my area does not service my home. They do service my neighbors home 400 feet in front of me. So Ive made an arrangment with my neighbor to set up and pay for internet service at their house, providing them with free wifi. Then I have an ubiquiti nanobeam installed on our roofs that send the signal to my own home as well. So theres the ISP provided router in their home that is connected via nanobeam to my home and into the XR500.
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

No that is not possible.

Your best solution if you need to supply internet and wifi access with the home #1 would be to use the ISP modem and wifi there, then use its DMZ for the XR router at home #2. You can leave the wifi enabled at the ISP modem in your case since the distance between the modem and XR router are far. 

Ok now that you posted distance. If your getting wifi via wifi beam, then I believe this would work with the XR in router mode. However having all this wifi devices and beam in the middle, you may see odd or bad gaming performances in this kind of configuration. Having different methods to get from one point to another while data traverses these could pose a problem. 

Message 6 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's quite a scenario, the above is probably the best method but unfortunately the QoS won't be as effective.
Message 7 of 10
Murllin
Aspirant

The Nanobeams are AC Antennas that operate at 5ghz. but I have ubiquities latest firmware that unlocks the higher frequencies so they operate around 5800-5900 mhz. Too high to interfere with the wifi on the routers as far as I can tell. Would setting up DMZ on the ISP router allow my XR to run as a router too? And would that open up house #1s internet to be exposed to the internet? I put a little jpeg of a "professional" diagram of my set up.
Message 8 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No it wouldn't impact them in that way, the XR500 would then be allowed to give your console an open NAT. Complications could arise in house 1 as all ports are going to the XR500
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you can and no it would not expose #1 to any problems. DMZ is only for the XR router and since it would be working in router mode while in the DMZ, the XRs firewall will be active and preventing problems from appearing on your system. Just like if it was connected to any modem directly. You'll be fine using the DMZ. 

@Murllin wrote:
The Nanobeams are AC Antennas that operate at 5ghz. but I have ubiquities latest firmware that unlocks the higher frequencies so they operate around 5800-5900 mhz. Too high to interfere with the wifi on the routers as far as I can tell. Would setting up DMZ on the ISP router allow my XR to run as a router too? And would that open up house #1s internet to be exposed to the internet? I put a little jpeg of a "professional" diagram of my set up.

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7