× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Using the ethernet ports of an XR500 access point

tarzan2
Aspirant

Using the ethernet ports of an XR500 access point

Hi, is it possible to use the ethernet ports of an access point configured XR500 router? Currently I am not able to find a device connected via ethernet to the router and I am wondering if I can reconfigure somehow to get it to work. Basically, I just want the ethernet ports to function like a switch for the main router. I want the router's DHCP server to serve those ports as well.

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Using the ethernet ports of an XR500 access point

Yes you should be able to do that no problem, there aren't any ethernet settings on the router and settings available to you in AP mode are less than router mode. So your setup is something like ISP modem/router > XR (AP mode)? If that is the case then all devices connected to the XR whether WiFi or ethernet will receive an IP address from the ISP router not the XR and so should all be accessible on LAN
Message 2 of 4
tarzan2
Aspirant

Yes, that is the basic setup. For some reason I cannot find the device connected to the netgear AP on my DHCP IP address server lease page. Maybe its just a problem with the device then.

Thanks for the response.

Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It depends how the ISP router handles an AP, it may regard devices connected to the AP as 'one' device (the AP) even though it gives each individual device an IP, as long as the device itself shows an IP from the ISP router you should be good to go.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7