× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VLAN Tagging Prohibits LAN Communication & SmartConnect Issues

jjdresselhaus
Aspirant

VLAN Tagging Prohibits LAN Communication & SmartConnect Issues

Resurrecting a problem that this post had -- https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR500-VLAN-tagging-making-wifi-devices...

Just bought the XR500, and configured it. Things work great -- getting fast speeds, a stable performance. Two issues though -- 

1). I had to set up VLAN tagging in combination with PPPoE, as I'm using Centurylink Gigabit Fiber Internet. Based on the link above, I believe this to be the resason that LAN communciation between Wifi and Ethernet clients doesn't work. This has been confirmed for multiple clients -- I am unable to SSH into my Raspberry Pi, nor am I able to connect to my Phillips Hue. Internet works fine for both WiFi and Ethernet, and I can communicate to Phillips Hue via internet -- just not locally. 

2). Smart Connect defaults to 2.4ghz all the time -- even when I'm in the same room, clear line of sight, with a Computer (2020 Macbook Pro), that fully supports 802.1ac. Created two distinct SSIDs as a workaround. 

Issue 1 is far more pressing as there isn't a workaround. 

Would love some assistance!

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 18
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Re: VLAN Tagging Prohibits LAN Communication & SmartConnect Issues

Thanks for posting, sorry to hear you've having issues!

Could you please confirm if you've currently got SmartConnect disabled? If not, could you please do so and just test the wifi devices connectivity?

Could you please also go to Advanced Wi-Fi settings and disable beamforming, MU-MIMO & HT160? 

Message 2 of 18
jjdresselhaus
Aspirant

Yes -- SmartConnect is disabled, and I'm currently using two separate SSIDs. 

Beamforming, MU-MIMO & HT160 are now all disabled. Is this to fix SmartConnect or the LAN Communication?

Message 3 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

For the devices issue, could you make a Guest WiFi network and allow the option to communicate locally, connect them both to that and see if it works then please? For Smart Connect it will only switch to 5GHz if the device needs the extra bandwidth.
Message 4 of 18
jjdresselhaus
Aspirant

Is Guest-Wifi the only option? That seems counter-intuitive, as Guest-WiFi should be more locked down and restrictive. 

Message 5 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's the only place where there is a specific option to allow communication on the internal network, it may not work but it's worth a try.
Message 6 of 18
jjdresselhaus
Aspirant

So here's some more testing -- 

Normal 5ghz Network: Ping to ethernet host succeeds, ssh fails.

Guest Network: Ping and SSH both fail. 

Message 7 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That was with 'Allow guests to see each other and access my local network' enabled?
Message 8 of 18
jjdresselhaus
Aspirant

Thanks for double checking. Now it is -- and it's the same behavior as the normal network. So SSH fails, pings succeed. 

Message 9 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It may be worth you upgrading to the beta and then using Traffic Controller to allow ALL traffic to those devices, that may help them communicate with each other.
Message 10 of 18
jjdresselhaus
Aspirant

How stable is the Beta at this point?

Message 11 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It still has some issues that we will resolve with more builds but it should be stable enough, you can always downgrade if needed.
Message 12 of 18
jjdresselhaus
Aspirant

Any chance on an update for this? It's pretty infuriating that my router can't route LAN communication properly...

Message 13 of 18
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Did installing the beta and setting a rule in traffic controller resolve this? If not, what results are you seeing now?

Message 14 of 18
jjdresselhaus
Aspirant

I did not install the beta. I would like a solution that doesn't involve running beta software in a production enviroment. 

Message 15 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I will pass it on to NG, if they can identify the issue they may be able to provide a trial firmware with a potential fix but it wouldn't be a tested firmware - would you be willing to try that?
Message 16 of 18
jjdresselhaus
Aspirant

Sure! I would do that. 

Message 17 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay thank you I have passed it on.
Message 18 of 18
Discussion stats