× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VLANs on Nighthawk Routers

buffalo418
Tutor

VLANs on Nighthawk Routers

Is it possible to setup VLANs within the OS of the XR500?  Ideally create two networks that are truly separate from each other where devices on each cannot see or access each other.  I see there is a VLAN/bridge but does that mean the only way you can have a VLAN also enables a bridge?  If that is the case I assume it will bypass the NAT, which someone may not want.  Or mabe it is possible to have a VLAN without a bridge, therefore utilizing the NAT.  If anyone has done this please let me know.  Also any documentation is helpful.  Cheers!

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

There is VLAN on my XR450:

VLAN / Bridge Settings

Wired Ports Wireless

(if required; range: 1~4094)  

Found under Settings/Advanced Settings/VLAN_Bridge Settings

Message 2 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Also assuming you do this QoS may not run effectively as we've discovered there may be a bug there that needs fixing.
Message 3 of 6
buffalo418
Tutor

A reason to have a VLAN or even separate network is for IoT devices.  Has anyone accomplished this config ?

Message 4 of 6
buffalo418
Tutor

Considering purchasing the XR500.  For anyone that has setup a guest network, are you able to tell me what internal IP it provides?  Can this be changed and is it truly isolated from your main?

Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The internal IP would be one in your existing DHCP range. There is no way to specifically change it for guest network. Guest network will only be able to access the internet or if you choose, anything on the local network as well. They won't be able to access the interface.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7