× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VPN Xbox and Kodi

Camster100
Tutor

VPN Xbox and Kodi

Hello I've just joined the community to ask this question. I appear to have a problem but one I'm sure the community can help with.

I can't streem 4k on kodi although I believe my connection should allow it so I hope a high end router should improve this. I also 'game' as well as stream and lastly I want a VPN but understand this will have a detrimental affect on my speed..... My thoughts are the router may 'offset' any loss from a VPN and the routers better management of my connection should help me achieve 4K and finally nothing should affect my gaming as my speeds are that good in the first place!
Obviously what I'm finding difficult is choosing one that can handle all three of these elements "speed VPN and Kodi" I do not mind paying the high end price only to find out £200 would have done the job.
My latest download speed was 306.66
Upload 29.3 and Ping 22 - provider is Virgin media.
Thanks very much

Thanks in advance
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Would you be wanting to apply the VPN to Kodi or a different device?
Message 2 of 8
Camster100
Tutor

I've not yet purchased the router but im doing it this weekend. I'm planning to apply the vpn to the router so everything will be covered by it.
My kodi is played via my Xbox
Message 3 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You would need to apply the VPN manually to all the devices. I would highly recommend you don't apply the VPN to devices that don't need at as you've already mentioned their speeds will be reduced. With the Hybrid VPN however you can apply the VPN to specific services/applications on each device, for example Skype. Allowing everything else on that device to go through your normal connection and therefore retain full speeds while still being protected. You wouldn't be able to do that on the console though due to the way the console handles traffic you'd just have to VPN the entire device. The VPN will reduce your speeds but as you've said QoS will manage your connection much better so it should still allow you to stream in 4K.
Message 4 of 8
Camster100
Tutor

Thanks for that........ I cant actually watch 4k on kodi at the moment.
4k on everything else is cool (everything leagle) TV netfix utube but for some reason kodi always states my speed is insufficient.... 1080 still looks amazing tho.... Actually better than 1080 on any other device I belive this to be a kodi stream is the only thing giving me true 1080.... Hence why I'm desperate to see the 4k..... I might just ditch the vpn and take my chances???
Message 5 of 8
Camster100
Tutor

I'm thinking the xr700?
Message 6 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you don't need a VPN then I would suggest you use it without it and then combined with QoS you should definitely be able to stream in 4K. Maybe I should check kodi out! The XR700 would definitely give you superior WiFi range/speed if your connection is fast enough.
Message 7 of 8
Camster100
Tutor

Kodi is awsome bro and runs so well on the Xbox the interface is brilliant...... My 1080p actually looks like my own tvs 4k
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7