× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VPN service settings

jmc7
Guide

VPN service settings

I enabled VPN service on the router and generated the .ovpn file for my iphone. When testing, I'm able to connect but before it actually connects, a window pops up regarding TLS certificate signed with MD5 (see picture attached). Is this something that is going to get updated since openvpn will be dropping MD5 by end of this month (April)?

When connected to vpn and check ip via "whats my ip", I'm not seeing the routers IP address (ISP) but my cellular carrier IP address. When I use the VPN from my old router and connect via VPN, I see the router ip (ISP) and not that of the cellular carrier. In addition, I'm unable to connect to one of my internal home network cameras via VPN. Again, with my old router this is not an issue.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 10
jmc7
Guide

Ok, so when I enabled the vpn service, I left "clients will use this VPN connection to access" in auto mode. This setting apparently doesn't work correctly. After changing the setting from auto to All sites  on the internet  & home network, I was able to connect to my internal camera and now when I check ip on the browser, I see the ip of the router (isp) and not the cellular carrier ip address.

Still would like to know the issue with MD5 and openvpn no longer supporting.

Message 2 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great to hear you found the solution, thanks for letting us know. I imagine it will be yes. Netduma are working on a new version of VPN so it will be all up to date on that.
Message 3 of 10
jmc7
Guide

I just want to be clear that I'm not refering to the VPN client but the VPN service where you download the confi file from the router to access your network via vpn. Since openvpn is dropping support at the end of April and we are in the middle of the month, is there going to be a firmware drop for this fix?

Message 4 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I don't know as Netgear handles all the Settings page features, I'm sure they are aware of it
Message 5 of 10
JasonN
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi jmc7,

I will forward this topic to my internal team and have them review it for consideration. :]

- Jason N

Message 6 of 10
jmc7
Guide

Today is the 30th of April. Is there a fix coming for openvpn? As I originally posted, openvpn is dropping support certificates signed with MD5 at the end of April. Well, here we are and no fix. I paid alot of money for this router and now a function I need will be broken. This is unacceptable.

Message 7 of 10
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I haven't heard anything, perhaps Jason can give an update on the situation?
Message 8 of 10
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@jmc7 The lastest FW 2.3.2.22 has the fix for MD5 OpenVPN problem. In FW 2.3.2.22 Netgear dropped MD5 support and replaced it with SHA256. Once you have the lastes FW installed you will need to delete the old OpenVPN configuration files and generate new ones.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 9 of 10
jmc7
Guide

This is great news and thanks for the update. I'll update the router as soon as I get a chance.

Message 10 of 10
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7