× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Verizon Fios gigabit slow speeds

CptinCaveme
Tutor

Verizon Fios gigabit slow speeds

Slow download speeds with verizon fios gigabit service.      

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 52
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Cptin, this is very likely misconfigured settings. Please follow these steps:

1. Set Anti-Bufferbloat to 'Never'
2. Ensure Bandwidth Allocation's Share Excess for both download/upload is ticked.
3. Remove any manual rules from Traffic Prioritization.
4. Do a wired speed test from a PC

If that doesn't work disable QoS from Anti-Bufferbloat's menu and then do a wired speed test from a PC.
Message 2 of 52
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Cptin, just checking in to see if my suggestions resolved your issue?
Message 3 of 52
CptinCaveme
Tutor

Hi Fraser​

I disabled all QOS and speeds where still low on dslreport, speedtest, along with a few more testing sites.  I average 250 down and 400 up.  I am paying for 940 down and 860 up.

I then tried different browsers and about the same.  

I am connected to my ISP router (DMZ) as I need for TV services.   I think from reading a few forums that maybe the issue.  When I test from ISP router speeds are closer to what I am paying for.  Averages 920 down and 900 up.  

Thanks for all your help.

Sorry for not responding sooner. 
Message 4 of 52
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you have other devices connected to the ISP router? If so connect all of them to the XR500 & turn off the WiFi on the ISP router so nothing can connect to it by accident. Then redo the test.

If you have IPv6 enabled on the XR500 then disable that and then redo the test. Are you using PPPoE on the XR500? If so can you make the ISP router handle that instead?
Message 5 of 52
itsyamce
Guide

I am having the same issue too... My XR500 is actually connected to the modem instead of the Fios Quatum router... which is giving me 300-500 mpbs or lower... I’m paying 948-840mpbs on my ISP
Message 6 of 52
itsyamce
Guide

I also am returning my FIOS Quatuam back to Verizon for The Nighthawk because I don’t want to pay up $10 a month for rent of Verizon
Message 7 of 52
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you saying that by bypassing the Fios router and connecting the XR500 directly to the modem that you're now getting your full speeds?
Message 8 of 52
itsyamce
Guide

@Fraser I’m actually getting lower speeds
Message 9 of 52
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do you get your full speeds when directly connected to the modem? Have you followed the settings I gave above? Also take a look here for more detail: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000061577-qos-bandwidth-speed-#3

Message 10 of 52
itsyamce
Guide

I followed your steps above @Fraser and it gave me 90mpbs with a high 30ms ping 😞 & ok I’ll check the link
Message 11 of 52
itsyamce
Guide

I’ve already done those steps before @Fraser
Message 12 of 52
itsyamce
Guide

Maybe it’s the nighthawk router:(
Message 13 of 52
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If that's the case then it is very likely due to the MAC address or DNS. Set the MAC address of the XR500 to the previous router's MAC address. As well as finding the DNS for your ISP and state and entering that into the XR500.

Also make sure the ethernet cable you're using is Cat5e and above, as well as the PC you're using to test that it's network adapter can handle your speeds.

If you're still having issues with speed please download & install TeamViewer https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows/ and then PM me with the ID and password it shows and then I can take a look at what is happening.
Message 14 of 52
CptinCaveme
Tutor

Should I try the MAC address for my setup?  As I would have two devices with the same MAC connected to the ONT.    

Message 15 of 52
itsyamce
Guide

@Fraser i will do everything you said later on tonight because I’m heading to work and ill be home by 7pm eastern time
Message 16 of 52
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

To clarify your setup is ONT > Fios router (required for TV services) and then the XR500 plugged into the Fios router? In that case you shouldn't need to do that I don't think. If you want to do TeamViewer I am happy to take a look now.
Message 17 of 52
CptinCaveme
Tutor

Yes that is my setup.  I am at work at the moment.  I know you are UK time zone (5 hours ahead)  I get off at 7pm eastern 12 your time.  

Can I get back to you on my availability. 

Message 18 of 52
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes absolutely, I am available anytime between midday to 2am UK time Sunday - Friday.
Message 19 of 52
itsyamce
Guide

Hey  are you availabe ?

Message 20 of 52
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hello, yes if you can PM me your TeamViewer details now I can take a look.
Message 21 of 52
itsyamce
Guide

do i need to put my broadband MAC Address from Fios to Netgear router ? 

Message 22 of 52
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you haven't followed the suggestions I've given yet I would do so first to see if that resolves your issue yes.
Message 23 of 52
itsyamce
Guide

ok i will

Message 24 of 52
itsyamce
Guide

im going to download team viewer

Message 25 of 52
Discussion stats