× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wan port or not

Rompy
Tutor

Wan port or not

Hi guy just move to EE fiber broad band and there bright box 2 modem /router has no modem mode but has a wan port could you tell me best set if I use wan port or best set up just of Ethernet port one on bright box 👍🏻
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Wan port or not

The IP you did was fine, you did it correctly. I would recommend you follow our optimal settings guides to get the most out of the router: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646

View solution in original post

Message 16 of 18

All Replies
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

On the bright box, connect the WAN port to your phone line/modem, and connect one of the LAN ports to your XR500.

Now on the bright box, turn off wifi, give the XR500 a reserved IP, and put it into the DMZ.

Message 2 of 18
Rompy
Tutor

thanks alex but if you could tell me what a reseve ip is and where i put it to in dumaos and how todo the dmc etc on dumaos menu just so many options on xr500

Message 3 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Go to Settings > Setup > LAN Setup and then you want Address Reservation but it is the same thing. Once you have done that and reserved an IP for the console then you put that same IP address into the DMZ server which is found in Settings > Setup > WAN Settings.
Message 4 of 18
Rompy
Tutor

ok thanks one last thing so do i make reservation address and console xbox one and dmz all the same ip address

Message 5 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes, take a look in the device manager or the Xbox console settings themselves and see what IP it has. Put that IP in the reservations in LAN Settings. When that is done put that same IP address in the DMZ as well.
Message 6 of 18
Rompy
Tutor

thank you bud my xbox is set up has a static ip so will just add that one i guest static ip on xbox will be ok

Message 7 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Remove the Static IP address from the xbox and set a IP address reservation for the xbox ON the router. It's not recommend to have a static and reserved IP address for same device. It's one or the other, not both. Both can cause problems. 

@Rompy wrote:

thank you bud my xbox is set up has a static ip so will just add that one i guest static ip on xbox will be ok

Message 8 of 18
Rompy
Tutor

If I remove static ip from Xbox I think it will change ip on Xbox every time I boot it up
Message 9 of 18
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

If you set the IP as reserved on the router, then the router will give it the same IP address every time.

An IP address reservation makes the router keep the IP unoccupied ready for the Xbox.

A static IP is more like the Xbox demanding an IP that the router might not have at the ready.

Message 10 of 18
Rompy
Tutor

Ok thanks my static ip is 10.0.0.125 on Xbox and this is what I have put in net gear Reserved ip so if I go on Xbox now and set connection to Automatic should it all work ok
Message 11 of 18
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

That's a strange IP address... What is the IP address of your router?

Message 12 of 18
Rompy
Tutor

Spoiler
Spoiler

my broadband ip is 95.144.148.162 the connetion type on netgear is DHCP with a wan ip off 192.168.1.164. also wanted to add my sons xbox which is on wifi i can reseved is ip but only seems to be one ip i can add to dmz  

Message 13 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I assume your router LAN IP is 10.0.0.1 is that right? If so that IP is fine. You can only put one device in the DMZ but keep UPnP open and the other console should be fine for NAT.
Message 14 of 18
Rompy
Tutor

my moden ee bright box ip is 95.144.148.162 the netgear xr500 wan ip is192.168.1.164 so do i need to change resvered ip address in netgear if so any ideal on what ip to use i just look the lan ip on netgear is 10.0.0.1 another thing is there away to get ping low has possible with netgear router 

Message 15 of 18
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The IP you did was fine, you did it correctly. I would recommend you follow our optimal settings guides to get the most out of the router: http://support.netduma.com/en/support/solutions/folders/16000090646
Message 16 of 18
Rompy
Tutor

ok and thank you to all you guys for your help

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Looks like you have a router built in to your ISP Modem already. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. 

@Rompy wrote:

my moden ee bright box ip is 95.144.148.162 the netgear xr500 wan ip is192.168.1.164 so do i need to change resvered ip address in netgear if so any ideal on what ip to use i just look the lan ip on netgear is 10.0.0.1 another thing is there away to get ping low has possible with netgear router 

Message 18 of 18
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7