× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Weak wifi signal for 2.4 and 5ghz

jeremyg237
Luminary

Weak wifi signal for 2.4 and 5ghz

I am having serious wifi strength issues. With my PC wired I get PING ms DOWNLOAD Mbps 921.45 UPLOAD Mbps 9.72. % ghz wifi I get 300/6 , using 2.5ghz iet 245/7. I purchased 1000 up and 30 down with COX internet in Virginia Beach. I have tried the following. 

QOS turned off and on.

Diable 20/40mhz coexistance.

Disabled smart connect

Every IPV6 connection type to include off. 

UPNP on/off

rebooting

changing channels

This router seems to have lots of issues, not with just wifi but also gaming as well. The new updaet did not do anything. However you did come out with a new XR700 which makes me laugh and cry inside because you did not fix the XR500 first and now I see xr700 issues as well. So here is an idea. You call COX and you two figure out the figuration I need. Because what is the point of having a high end gaming router that cant high end. But instead have to turn off features to get it to work or go back a few firmwares. 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What wifi devices are you using when speed testing? 

Tried different wifi devices to compare results? 

Is wired speeds getting what you pay for? 

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 15
jeremyg237
Luminary

What wifi devices are you using when speed testing? 2x PC one wired and on wifi

Tried different wifi devices to compare results? yes

Is wired speeds getting what you pay for? No

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many? Live in a condo assocociation. 

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

SO your not gettng wired speeds to spec? 

I would start here first. IF your not getting to spec wired speeds, then wireless won't be of any help yet.

If you live in a condo envrionment, you maybe in a wifi connected area. Not great for wireless signals. 

What is the Mfr and model # of the ISP modem the XR router is connected too?

Can you get to spec speeds with a wired PC connected directly to the modem? 

Message 4 of 15
jeremyg237
Luminary

SO your not gettng wired speeds to spec?  Yes I am. Please read first post. 

I would start here first. IF your not getting to spec wired speeds, then wireless won't be of any help yet.

If you live in a condo envrionment, you maybe in a wifi connected area. Not great for wireless signals. So then you are saying the product only works in a family type house hold or country area? This is not stated in or on the package.

What is the Mfr and model # of the ISP modem the XR router is connected too? NETGEAR CM1000

Can you get to spec speeds with a wired PC connected directly to the modem? Please see first post.

Message 5 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

When you changed channels did you use a WiFi analyser to find the least congested channels in the area? The WiFi tests were the done right next to the router? If not can you try right next to it please. Are the antennas placed so they point in all areas of the home?
Message 6 of 15
jeremyg237
Luminary

Ive done it all. Lets be honest. This thing sucks. Still no update to fix console connections and now the R-app will not load unless i reboot. Nobody should buy the XR500 period. Broke since day one and still is. Look at all my posts and you will see that I have put in a ton of effort. Done posting and wasting my time. This item is garbage and thats the truth. 

Message 7 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

R-App not loading is definitely not usual so I would say you probably have a defective router so if you're still in warranty I've get it replaced.
Message 8 of 15
jeremyg237
Luminary

Its not and this thing hasnt worked from the beginning. Answer to everytrhing is reboot, go back on firmware, new firmware coming out and faulty buy a new one. This thing is two years old no more excuses. Netgear makes **bleep**ty products period. ASUS here I come. 

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

You probably had a bad unit. You might ask NG for an RMA. Seems that your the only one experience this kind of issue with your XR500. 

Also some wifi mobile devices won't see speeds much past 400Mbps depending upon what they are designed for and support. 

If you have alot of other wifi neighbors, this will effect any router. Channelization is important along with power output. My XR router is working fine for me. 

Good Luck. 

Message 10 of 15
jeremyg237
Luminary

Seems that your the only one experience this kind of issue with your XR500. Challenge excepted. 

Message 11 of 15
jeremyg237
Luminary
jeremyg237
Luminary

Update. It is the firmware that is messing with the R-app, device manager and QOS. I rolled it back to firmware 40. The 2.4ghz is still weak as always. 

Message 13 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Did you do a factory reset after the .56 update as that is recommended to ensure no legacy issues from previous firmware. The fact it worked on .40 may just because those legacy issues don't affect it on .40 which is why it's a good idea to reset after updating and then see if its still an issue.
Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Only a few of you seem to have had this kind of issue. Doesn't mean everyone is. Seems ot point to a mis-configuration or a HW issue. 

Have you contacted NG support and asked for an RMA? 

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7