× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: What Security Improvements with latest XR700 Firmware

martyr444
Apprentice

What Security Improvements with latest XR700 Firmware

Hello, I would like to know how much or more details on what Security improvements were added for Version 1.0.1.34. I tried to just upgrade the Firmware from Version V1.0.1.20 and it causes my Content Filtering Schedules not to work properly. I then reset back to Factory and then tried my backup from 1.0.1.34 and still the same issue. It doesn't trigger the blocking of all Services for the chosen IP range during the set schedule.  I have the setting to start at 21:00 and to end at 7 hour 0 minutes. To get it to trigger I have to actually go to the schedule settings and hit apply which manually triggers it verses automatically doing this on it's own. To wipe it and add all of our Devices will take at least 1/2 day. I need to know how much improvement and any deatails you can give me on the Security improvements to weigh the gains verses the pain of doing all of this again. Thanks

Message 1 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Just generic security fixes as far as I am aware, there was no security advisory out that I can see. If you're having those issues then you should be fine to go back to .20.
Message 2 of 16
martyr444
Apprentice

Hello, I know that many Netgear Routers have been known to have vulnerabilities. That's why I wanted to get more details on what this fixed in making the XR700 more secure. I went ahead and set my XR700 back to Factory. I then configured everything to find out if using a backup from V1.0.1.20 to recover V1.0.1.34 was causing this issue. Even with a clean install and reconfiguring everything without using the backup still have the same issue. So it's this latest Firmware V1.0.1.34 it causing the issue. I set the Content Filter Schedules the same as before so the Service blocking starts at 21:00 and ends at 7:00. The only way I get it to trigger is to go to this schedule and hit apply at 7AM which I shouldn't have to do. I can go back to the V1.0.1.20 and it will work like it's supposed to. But then I'm losing the new Security updates which is a bad idea. How do I escalate this so the Engineers can get a fix? It it's a problem for my setup, it should be an issue for all setups that use this feature. Please advise.

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You would have to make a ticket here and see if they can escalate it for you: http://support.netgear.com/
Message 4 of 16
martyr444
Apprentice

I created a Ticket to support via Email. No one has resoponded. What's the next step to get support for both of these over $500 Netgear XR700 Routers. For this kind of Money and due to Security issues in the World today, I need this resolved. I need the features and I need the Security I paid for. Can you help get me some support help?

Message 5 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

@Christian_R @DarrenM can you help please?
Message 6 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

You can also check here as well:

https://www.netgear.com/about/security/

Message 7 of 16
martyr444
Apprentice

All the Firware update notes are the following which doesn't give any details on the Security fixes. We all need better security on our Devices but we need the features to work too. At this point I would either have to lose security by going back to the V1.0.1.20 so the Content Filter schedule works. If I keep the current 1.0.1.34 then I get some unknown security fixes but lose the function of the Content Filter schedule. Both are bad choices as I need both to be working.

New Features and Enhancements:

• Supports Plex media server version 1.19.5
  • Supports additional ISPs from Asia in the ISP profile list on Internet Setup page

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the SAMBA issue when the file size is greater than 2 GB.

Security Fixes:

• Fixes security vulnerability issues

I sent private messages to @Christian_R @DarrenM to see if they can get me some help on this.

I still haven't got any response offering help on this. I would be willing to test a new Beta to get this issue fixed.Right now I have had to go back to Firmware V1.0.1.20 which means Security will be an issue with both of my XR700 Routers.

Message 8 of 16
martyr444
Apprentice

I have asked for a solution including will to test Beta Firmware so I can get the latest Security along with the Router features to all work. I have asked here, directly at Netgear Support and have not received any working solution response. As a matter of fact, this is the only place I received any kind of response. Things like this are what defines a Company's after the sale caring and service.

@martyr444 wrote:

All the Firware update notes are the following which doesn't give any details on the Security fixes. We all need better security on our Devices but we need the features to work too. At this point I would either have to lose security by going back to the V1.0.1.20 so the Content Filter schedule works. If I keep the current 1.0.1.34 then I get some unknown security fixes but lose the function of the Content Filter schedule. Both are bad choices as I need both to be working.

New Features and Enhancements:

• Supports Plex media server version 1.19.5
  • Supports additional ISPs from Asia in the ISP profile list on Internet Setup page

Bug Fixes:

• Fixes the SAMBA issue when the file size is greater than 2 GB.

Security Fixes:

• Fixes security vulnerability issues

I sent private messages to @Christian_R @DarrenM to see if they can get me some help on this.

I still haven't got any response offering help on this. I would be willing to test a new Beta to get this issue fixed.Right now I have had to go back to Firmware V1.0.1.20 which means Security will be an issue with both of my XR700 Routers.

Message 9 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've passed this on directly to the XR700 lead at NG so will hopefully get a response soon.
Message 10 of 16
martyr444
Apprentice

I hope so..............

Thanks

Message 11 of 16
martyr444
Apprentice

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
I've passed this on directly to the XR700 lead at NG so will hopefully get a response soon.

So now Netgear has another Security Update. This is version 1.0.1.36 with lots of Securtiy Fixes. But just like the previous update 1.0.1.34, the Content Filtering Schedule is still broken. Netgear broke this with the version 1.0.1.34 and even after I brought this up several times at different locations including here, it's still broken! It doesn't kick in at 21.00 like its suppose to and so it also doesn't turn back on at 7.00AM. Why??????? This is how I control Services access to my Son's Devices.

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:

Message 12 of 16
martyr444
Apprentice

The only way the blocked services schedule works with these lastest Firmware updates is for me to manually click apply at 9PM to get it to start. And then to get it to stop I have to click apply again as seen in the photo at 7AM. That defeats the whole purpose of having a schedule that works automatically by using your set time. This should be an easy fix. I don't know what they did to break this. Please get this fixed!

Content Filtering still broken.PNG

Message 13 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd recommend you upgrade to the 3.0 beta and use the Traffic Controller feature instead, you can do the same thing as well as being a lot more specific.
Message 14 of 16
martyr444
Apprentice

Where do I find that? I would still like for them to fix this since it's suppose to be working on these paid for Devices.

Message 15 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7