× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: When will new VPN clients be supported for Netgear XR500?

tcc13c
Follower

When will new VPN clients be supported for Netgear XR500?

I am currently running a Netgear XR500 router with NetDumas OS V2.3.2.22.  I am trying to set up a VPN like Private Internet Access or NordVPN on this router.  It appears the only client currently supported is HideMyAss.  I refuse to use the HMA service for obvious privacy reasons. I have seen other posts referencing that you can use a Ubiqiti router to achieve this VPN implementation.  However, this router is already $300, and I am not spending another $100 just to achieve functionality that my current router already claims to have.  SO, enough of a rant, my question is simple, when, if ever, will a router firmware update be released to support other VPN clients?  If this simple update is not implemented soon, I will be returning this router and you will be losing a Netgear customer. Thank you for your time.

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We've completed our VPN Hybrid solution which allows use of third party VPNs, we're trying to get a beta for users that want to try it before release
Message 2 of 23
cmadeyes
Aspirant

I am interested in testing - i received my XR500 a couple of days ago.

My VPN provider is Torguard.

Message 3 of 23
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for letting us know. As soon we have the green light for VPN Hybrid to be publicly tested we'll let you guys know!

Message 4 of 23
bsilverthorn
Apprentice

Would love to do this as well. I have three lifetime subscriptions to differnt VPN providers I would love to try.

Happy to test as well.

Message 5 of 23
Alaric55
Tutor

I'm eager as hell to test the VPN beta solution!!!
I bought the XR500 as it stated that it had support for for IPVanish client. I even checked it up with Netgear presales and read the manual before purchase. That was half a year ago but it sounds as when I bought the R7000. Then Netgear also told me a VPN client was close to be included in the firmware - allthough it never showed!
I guess I can just hope that the new firmware turns up before we have a new standard for WiFi and the router hardware is outdated!

Message 6 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

They removed that VPN provider from their client, I'm unsure why. It is coming, just waiting on Netgears test team to approve it.
Message 7 of 23
Maniacal
Guide

Any update on this... It's a joke that we have all been waiting for so long with no change. This is something that was advertised and misleading. Might raise a claim with ACCC for false and misleading claims. 

Message 8 of 23
Roadrunner79
Guide

If this falls under the hybrid VPN service netgear has a firmware update for the XR700 router that is either selling out pre orders or is pushing back the release of the router. They said they would be offering the hybrid VPN for both XR500 and XR700. I think netgear is going to hold off on it for the XR500 until after the release of the XR700. 

Message 9 of 23
Maniacal
Guide

The firmware with the hybrid vpn is already available for the xr700. If netgear is intentionally holding off on releasing a fix that was advertised on the xr500, just so they get more sales of the 700, god help them. I’m lodging an official complaint Monday. 

Message 10 of 23
Roadrunner79
Guide

Holiday season is here. Sales are double edged sword. If the XR500 gets it first I'll buy a XR500 and save $200 dollars. I have lost the impulse buy for the XR700. 

Message 11 of 23
ezambran
Aspirant

I am interested in testing - I received my XR500 a couple of weeks ago.

My VPN provider is Mullvad.

Message 12 of 23
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for letting us know @ezambran - hopefully there will be a version to try out soon.

Message 13 of 23
smitheram
Guide

Hello,

I've had the XR500 for a week and I am happy with it so far but one feature that is lacking is the VPN Client which is only available for HMA. Also I'm having problems with the VPN Service I export the config file and place it into OpenVPN but it will not connect due to a certificate problem.

Message 14 of 23
bsilverthorn
Apprentice

Yep same issue here, I just imported the non windows version of the config and it worked fine.

Not sure why the 700 is here yet, they don't have many of the kinks worked out of the 500 yet.

Message 15 of 23
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

I recommend you drop NETGEAR's official support a line about the VPN Server export problem - they may be able to fix it, but if not, they can record a ticket to pass it onto the developers (we, Netduma, are not the devs for this): https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx

Message 16 of 23
alteredbeing
Guide

Any updates?

Message 17 of 23
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi - yes, this is now out on the XR500 on the latest firmware.

Follow this guide on how to upgrade and setup your Hybrid VPN: http://support.netduma.com/support/solutions/articles/16000087492--dumaos-optimal-settings-guide-hyb...
Message 18 of 23
bsilverthorn
Apprentice

So far so good, the only issue so far is 5 /5  vpn connections seem to not want to break 1meg on the download.

Treid differnt providers and vpns.

More testing later.

Message 19 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Try using TCP as the connection type as most speed tests use TCP
Message 20 of 23
bsilverthorn
Apprentice

I’ll try that next. Haven’t tried a speed test per say. Just a download from different sources.
Message 21 of 23
ngearftard
Luminary

Dropping in to let you know on the XR500 using ExpressVPN with any of their OpenVPN server configurations I only get 5 Mbps down and 1 up, no matter which server is used. Configured through my PC instead of the XR500, I get 10-20 times that bandwidth with the same ExpressVPN servers. The difference is the same whether QOS is enabled or not.

Message 22 of 23
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

VPN on the router is slower, however if did you try connecting through TCP?
Message 23 of 23
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7