× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Where to go after XR500?

JNewms
Guide

Where to go after XR500?

Hi, I'm trying to get some opinions from the community. I was unfortunate enough to purchase the XR500, and since purchasing the device have had nothing but problems with it. For the price of the router I expected much more. I've never been able to receive my full internet speeds on the device, the latest firmware constantly disconnects from the internet and it's obvious that Netgear is content to leave their community on broken software with absolutely zero communication on when fixes are coming.

I've tried reverting to previous hardware, I've followed the troubleshooting steps for qos, and every other thing I've done while searching through the forums. Nothing has made this router work properly.

I'm unable to still return it for a refund as it's outside of that window. So my question is, do any of you have any suggestions for routers that can actually handle gigabit speeds and not require resets every day in order to stay connected? Netgear has broken my trust with this product so I'm looking to find a product that works well and has a company that stands behind it. Would really appreciate some help finding something that'll work.
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
JNewms
Guide

Gonna mark this thread as solved, as I'm not actually having any success with the intended purpose. Literally the same troubleshooting steps I've seen in every other thread that didn't work. I'll try to find another forum of people that had to buy something to replace this router. It seriously feels like this thing was pushed out to have beta testing done in production.

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 21

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

The XR series can handle 900Mb wired speed tests...

Message 2 of 21
JNewms
Guide

My modem is a Netgear CM1000. I have reverted the firmware back to .32 since .40 is unable to stay connected to the internet.

I've seem where people claim this router can handle these speeds, but I have my doubts. I've verified with speed tests it's wired to the modem they I'm receiving full speeds, but then when wired to the router I don't get close to them. I've done all of the troubleshooting in this forum and spent weeks now combing through them all for new solutions. Nothing has worked. I feel like I was robbed of the money spent on this router as it has yet to fulfill any of the performance it claims to give.

The forums and other sites are littered with posts of this router not getting full speeds, and of firmware .40 constantly losing internet connection. Yet, nothing but silence from Netgear. The lack of support for fixes to this router, and instead rolling out a more expensive router and updating its firmware show exactly where their priorities are.
Message 3 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you doing a full factory reset and setup from scratch when upgrading or downgrading FW? 

Are you getting 900Mb now with v32 loaded? 

Ensure the cable in between the modem and router is of good quality. CAT6 is recommended. 

Yes v40 seems to have issues. 

You can check the WAN to LAN speeds of the router if you have two PCs and switch:

https://www.duckware.com/tech/router-wan-to-lan-throughput-test.html

Message 4 of 21
JNewms
Guide

Yes. I always do a full reset after updating or downgrading.

No, I still don't get my full speeds. Like I said, this router has never achieved full speeds.

All of my cables are Cat 6. I went and bought all new cables in October to ensure they were all cat 6 to rule that out as an issue. Like I said, I've combed through everything I could find looking for solutions. Nothing has worked. I'm at my wits end and need to figure out an alternative that works.
Message 5 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Can you post a full screenshot of your QoS page please so I can take a look
Message 6 of 21
JNewms
Guide

I'm not at home at the moment, but I can tell you any info you need about them as I've had to turn it off and set it back up so many times.
Message 7 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

I would ask NG for an RMA. The XR does support 900Mb from Wan to Lan. If yours is not, then the unit maybe bad.

Open a support ticket here:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

Message 8 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Well firstly, have you put your correct speeds into the Anti-Bufferbloat menu? If so do you get full speeds with QoS completely disabled in the menu?
Message 9 of 21
JNewms
Guide

I'm outside of the small warranty window that they have. I was foolish enough to believe that an hate would fix the issues, and didn't return it or use the warranty before I was outside of the window.

To be clear, I didn't make this post expecting a refund or anything. I was looking for other users to help me figure out which router and modem to go to from here. The current Netgear setup is not performing, so I would like to ensure that the next purchase I make isn't on an expensive dud with no support
Message 10 of 21
JNewms
Guide

Yes. I put my actual speeds in manually. But no, I have never been able to get my full speeds. I have mentioned this a few times already. The speeds have never, not once, been what they were supposed to be when using this router.

Unless there is some issue with how the CM1000 and XR500 work together, I can only assume it's the router that's a bust. I've received the correct speeds when hard wired directly into the CM1000
Message 11 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If it's disabled from ABB menu then usually indicates an issue upstream. Could you give the XR500 the MAC address of your previous router in internet setup please and see if you get your full results then.
Message 12 of 21
JNewms
Guide

My previous router? This is the only router I've been using with this modem. I bought them both at the same time when I moved into this apartment. Not even sure what my old routers Mac address was
Message 13 of 21
JNewms
Guide

But I can try to find it when I get home. It'll be an hour or two though
Message 14 of 21
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes please do, occasionally what can happen is the ISP doesn't negotiate well with a new router but changing the router MAC to the router you had previously resolves it. Just a thought as really should be getting what you pay for.
Message 15 of 21
JNewms
Guide

Ok. I'm home now. Changing the Mac address has made it so that the router will not connect to the internet at all. The internet light is just staying orange. I've power cycled the modem and router to no avail...
Message 16 of 21
JNewms
Guide

Ended up having to go through the initial part of the setup process again to get internet back. No improvement in speeds at all. Still only getting 40% of what I should. This router is seriously a disaster. I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from buying it.

I appreciate you attempting to help. But this router is seriously flawed. I just hate that I spent so much money on this thing. It seriously is over priced and under performs, and Netgear obviously isn't interested in fixing anything. I doubt I'll be buying any more of their products after seeing how this "premium gaming" router performs, and lacks any official support from the manufacturer
Message 17 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

I would ask NG for an RMA. SOunds like the unit you have is just faulty.

@DarrenM 
@Blanca_O 

Message 18 of 21
JNewms
Guide

Like I said earlier. I'm already outside of their small warranty window. Plus, it doesn't sound like it's my individual router at all. I've seen tons of posts with the exact same issues I'm having where they had RMAs that did nothing to remedy the issue. RMAs do not fix design flaws, or faulty firmware. Whichever it may be.
Message 19 of 21
JNewms
Guide

Gonna mark this thread as solved, as I'm not actually having any success with the intended purpose. Literally the same troubleshooting steps I've seen in every other thread that didn't work. I'll try to find another forum of people that had to buy something to replace this router. It seriously feels like this thing was pushed out to have beta testing done in production.
Message 20 of 21
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

I would look into a replacement for sure as this router can easily handle way over 1000mbps.

Either way, sorry to hear you had a poor experience.

Message 21 of 21
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7