× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Will Nighthawk Pro Gaming xr500 Router help my 600ping.

mistfuls
Aspirant

Will Nighthawk Pro Gaming xr500 Router help my 600ping.

I currently am using viasat as my internet provider because there are no other providers available in my area. I am a pro gamer and streamer on twitch. This ping issue is a very big problem for me. I am in desperate need for help in what direction I take. I am curious if I buy this router it will help resolve my ping issue. I have 100mbps because that is the highest they provide. My ping stays around 610-620. Someone please help put me in the right direction to solve this issue, anything helps.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Will Nighthawk Pro Gaming xr500 Router help my 600ping.

Viasat as in satellite internet? 

If so, there isn't much you can do. Satellite internet's biggest downfall is its ping times.

Starlink is supposed to help with that because of its lower orbit height but traditional satellite internet isn't going to have good ping. 

changing routers isn't going to help a whole lot

Message 2 of 5
mistfuls
Aspirant

Yes, satellite internet sadly. I haven't done much research on the starlink besides seeing a few youtube videos about it. I'm lost on what to do at this point. Do you have any recommendations?

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Get a different ISP that isn't traditional satellite based?

Its the problem with traditional satellite service. The satellites they use are in a high orbit and it causes high latency. 

Until we can increase the speed of light (not happening with the current physics model), you're only other option would be to switch to a different type of service. 

https://www.satelliteinternet.com/resources/gaming-on-satellite-internet/

Message 4 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'd recommend you connect just one PC to the modem/router and do a PingPlotter test, that will give us a better idea as to whether we can help
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7