× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Will there be a new one soon?

Thomo1318
Aspirant

Will there be a new one soon?

I am currently about to upgrade my router...
But with wifi 6/ax on the horizon I don’t know if the upgrade the the XR700 is worth the upgrade since it will soon be old tech.
Hence looking at a switch to ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 however it’s hardware and OS don’t seem to be as good as the XR700, it doesn’t have a 10GbE, the OS doesn’t seem as good for the prioritisation of BW and it doesn’t have the same media server capability.
That being said I don’t feel like Netgear’s AX12 is comparable to the ASUS if I were to go the Netgear wifi 6 option.
I will be running a synology 6 bay NAS as a plex media server for local and remote access (massive library). 3 gaming consoles, 3 mobiles, 3 laptops, 3 iPads, 24/7/365 torrenting and 3 streaming services. Looking for high processing power so the transcode of 4K over the network is seamless...
Long story short, do I jump ship to ASUS, do I go with the AX12 or do I wait for Netgear to bring out their option of a gaming router with wifi 6 and is that on the horizon?
Let me know what you think.
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

there's also the RAX200 to consider. It was supposed to be released in early July but has been pushed back. 

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/RAX200.aspx

Message 2 of 14
Thomo1318
Aspirant

RAX200 = AX12
Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

Message 4 of 14
plemans
Guru

The RAX200 is AX11000 not ax12.  Similar devices but with some differences. 

Message 5 of 14
Thomo1318
Aspirant

I stand corrected...
Looking at the tech specs, apart from the upgrade to wifi 6 the other tech specs still don’t marry up to the RX700
Message 6 of 14
plemans
Guru

@Thomo1318 wrote:
I stand corrected...
Looking at the tech specs, apart from the upgrade to wifi 6 the other tech specs still don’t marry up to the RX700

Depends on your usage. Yes the XR700 has 10g port but  I don't know of a consumer modem that supports this.  The RAX200 supports link aggregation for wan port or using the 2.5g port for wan. More likely to see consumer modems with 2.5g or link aggregation. 

Rax has triband so you can separate out devices. Its tough to compare processors as their different suppliers (Annapurna vs broadcom).

Little bit of differences but I'd hold off until wifi 6 has been ratified if you can. I think it'll give time for the firmware to stabilize and truly see a comparison in speeds. 

Message 7 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Just my two cents, there are currently no devices that I am aware of that support AX WiFi and so any of your current devices would not see the benefit of that technology even if you had a router that used it.
Message 8 of 14
plemans
Guru

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Just my two cents, there are currently no devices that I am aware of that support AX WiFi and so any of your current devices would not see the benefit of that technology even if you had a router that used it.

Samsung S10 supports ax doesn't it? 

Message 9 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes looks to be one of the first devices, I stand corrected thanks! If you're not planning on buying all new phones, laptops etc then AX won't be of much benefit.

Message 10 of 14
plemans
Guru

Not trying to be arguementative but AX does help with standard ac devices for concurrent broadcasts. Its tough to objectively measure since you're using mutliple devices but it subjectively feels faster when I've been testing AX routers 🙂  I don't really notice until I get multiple devices rolling with some decent bandwidth. 

Message 11 of 14

The CM1200 multigig cable modem supports the 10g
Message 12 of 14

I would wait for the Rax200 and run the SX10 pro gaming switch for all your gaming consoles. Both have multigig technology. I also just got the CM1200 multigig modem to be ready for the Rax200.
Message 13 of 14

Not 100% accurate there might not be any true ax Wi-Fi devices yet but the technology itself will eliminate slowing speeds due to overlapping and high data households. So you will not see a speed boost from ax per-say , but having a 2.4ghz and (2) 5ghz channels with 4 antennas each will spread out devices fighting service. This will allow you to get the closest to your ISP speed you are paying for. In short your current devices should run smoother and faster than they normally do.
Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7