× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Wireless Connection - XR-500 - Connections dropping

gabrinc
Aspirant

Wireless Connection - XR-500 - Connections dropping

Configuration:

ISP: Rogers.com

Router: NightHawk XR-500

Firmware Version: V2.3.2.56

Wifi Extender: Aped S10000 Setup correctly and works for a few minutes. Router in basement and extender on 2nd floor. continues to drop the WiFi connection. Please do not suggest i have too many wall interference as this same configuration worked for years with a linksys AC1900.

Same symtom on smartphones where the 2.4 and the 5.0 disappear. 3 smart phones and 2 wireless computers.

Please advise.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: Wireless Connection - XR-500 - Connections dropping

Is it just the devices connected to the extender that drop? If you use the XR500 WiFi without the extender do you have the same issue?
Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the distance between the XR router and the extender? 

30 feet should be starting distance between them. 

Basements are not recommended placements for wifi routers. 

@gabrinc wrote:

Configuration:

ISP: Rogers.com

Router: NightHawk XR-500

Firmware Version: V2.3.2.56

Wifi Extender: Aped S10000 Setup correctly and works for a few minutes. Router in basement and extender on 2nd floor. continues to drop the WiFi connection. Please do not suggest i have too many wall interference as this same configuration worked for years with a linksys AC1900.

Same symtom on smartphones where the 2.4 and the 5.0 disappear. 3 smart phones and 2 wireless computers.

Please advise.

Message 3 of 14
gabrinc
Aspirant

Reply to Distance query.

The setup of the extender was done as recommended to be as close to the XR-500 where the 2.4 signal was 100%. Once the setup was done the extender was moved to the second floor which is more than 30 ft away from the router.

Reply to 'WiFi in basement.

I had a Linksys AC1900 for more than 5+ years with not issues with the same configuration so i respectfully disagree that WiFI is not recommended in the finished basement.

Reply to Extender drop.

I have shutoff the extender for the last 24 hrs and the Wifi continues to  drop evry few minutes to an hour. This affects working with 3 smart phones and 2 laptops used with Wifi and NO games.the router was purchased late September.

PS: If support needs access i am willing to provide.

Please advise as i cannot return to Canada Computers without penalty.

Message 4 of 14
gabrinc
Aspirant

Thank you for your query.

Yes I disconnected the Extender for the last 24 hrs and the dropping of the Wifi continued and still continues. it drops every few minutes to hours. I have had the extender working for a few years with a Linksys AC1900 with no issues. We have used the same placement and configuration with the only change in the Router. I got the XR-500 for its range and power off the WiFi but am quite disappointed with the performance.

I have updtaed the frirmware for bot the XR-500 and the extender to the latest version.

I have 3 smartphones and 2 laptops which work with WiFI. All the rest of the equipment is wired. We do not play online games at all.

I do not believe the load on WiFi is extensive.

Hope this helps explain.

Message 5 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You may be experiencing wireless congestion so I would recommend using a WiFi analyser and finding the least congested channels and change to those. Also how long to the disconnects last for? Do they regain connection on their own?
Message 6 of 14
gabrinc
Aspirant

Thank you for your response.

Reply to Wireless congestion.

Sorry do not have access to WiFI Analyzer. 2.4 is set to Auto and 5G is set to 44. I have also disabled both Guest channels so that the flip-flop does not choose the guest channels which require manual passwords. I do not believe i have more than 10-12 wireless devices or use the Wifi (may be 6 at the most). As indicated before, we do not use for online games and most of my devices are wired.

Reply to Disconnects. 

Now that the Guest access is disabled, the reconnects take less time about 30 seconds to a minute. Disabling Guest Access and removing the extender and tweaking channels defeats the purpose of getting an expensive router which would allow me greater range on Wifi, secure and features i would like to use.

Please suggest 1) what i could use for the WiFi analyzer and 2) what channels i could change to get better performance on this unit.

I strongly feel that this unit is not functioning as advertised. I can also welcome NetGear support to connect to the router for their own discovery and inspection. 

Message 7 of 14
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

If you have a smartphone, there's lots of wifi analyzer apps available for both iOS and Android.

Message 8 of 14
gabrinc
Aspirant

Hello,

I have used the WiFi Analyzer and the signal strength is good, not excellent. I went from a stable AC1900(linksys) to this model for the power and stability especially WiFi. For this I have had to remove my extender as there is a clash of channels, I have had to remove the guest access so that the flip flops are reduced, etc. No I have had no solution as yet. I have now ordered an Ubiquity Access point unit to see if that works. that unit will be received next week. So if you are asking if this is solved, not it has not solved. Am i happy with the product? The jury is out.! Very disappointed. Please provide steps to either return this product or get a new unit as my store will not take this back due to the 15 day return policy. Unit was purchased October 4th.

Message 9 of 14
gabrinc
Aspirant

Further to my previous reply, my network is supposed to be 192.168.1.xxx, while the Wifi Analyzer indicates 172.27.35.xxx. I do not have that IP network.

Message 10 of 14
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

That's strange, does your wifi extender actually have it's own DHCP pool?

Message 11 of 14
gabrinc
Aspirant

If this is in reference to the 172.xxx.xxx.xxx, please note that the Extender has been turned off since my issues started which is more than 6 days, but i continue to see this today when i use the WiFi analyzer today.

Is there anyway i can 'block' the neighborhood channels for WiFi.

As i write this my SSID is associated with 172.27.35.90. Strange is correct.!

Message 12 of 14
peter123456
Aspirant

me light goes orange over nite is it goin to sleep mode it only started in the last week or so do you have a fix for it 

Message 13 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Something has created that network, either something is conflicting and so it's changed to negate that or just naturally creating it. Do you have anything other than the ISP hub and XR router connected? No you can't block other channels unfortunately, you can only switch to channels that are less congested, have you done this?

@peter123456 this could be because it's losing connection to the ISP hub or your right in that there is not much traffic on the network at the time. Do you need to reboot when you wake up to receive internet?
Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7