× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: X10 vs XR500

Rjdelew
Initiate

X10 vs XR500

I just bought an X10 router 2 weeks ago. Its still possible to return based on the stores Christmas policy. Should I return and get theXR500 or am I better off with the X10?
Message 1 of 32
ErnestTheGreat
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It depends what are you using the router for and if you care about 802.11ad? The R9000 and XR500 device each have their market segment they go after. If you strip away 802.11ad the 2.4GHz and 5GHz combined speed is same as XR500. R9000's advantages are that it has, active antennas, quad core processor, Plex media server and 802.11ad support.

If we compare them performance wise R9000 may give you a slightly better range on 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi but it will not improve performance on online gaming side of things or give you ability to truly customize your router ui like XR500 does. When it comes to customization, QoS management, per device bandwidth management and device/network statistics the XR500 beats R9000 hands down.

My suggestion would be to really look at what do you plan on using the devices for if you have or plan on getting 802.11ad devices or using Plex media server, Amazon cloud back up then R9000 maybe a better way to go. If you are an avid gamer and care about router customization, online gaming experience, per device upload/download bandwidth control and just want an overall solid network performance XR500 is probably a better solution and also a cheaper one ;).

Message 2 of 32
Rjdelew
Initiate

My wife may have other plans but I intend to put a simpit in my spare bedroom to play Star citizen.

She just wants to watch TV.
Message 3 of 32

I had the r9000 but it went out after a year. BUT it was better in all aspects compared to XR500. I don’t see any ping differences with the gaming stuff turned on. I do see WiFi drops however...
Message 4 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi Brandon, you're saying you don't see a difference on the XR500 with the features enabled? What games are you playing? If you PM me I'll be happy to do a 1 on 1 for your issues.
Message 5 of 32
NandoFL
Star

My son want to buy an XR500. We already have the X10. The X10 is an excellent router. The best I owned so far. It manage two Xbox and two PS4 and never have problem with the ports.

I don’t see any benefit with the XR500. Still, he will buy it. He will pay for the router. The question is, can this two routers co-exists with one cable modem only? Will I be able to set either router on bridge mode? What about QoS? Which one should be in charge?

Thank you in advance for your suggestion.
Message 6 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Understand your concern. The XR500 QoS is unlike any other router's QoS solution. It will enable everyone to use the internet at the same time without causing each other to lag/buffer. The gaming devices can be prioritised to ensure they have the very best connection, along with the Geo-Filter they truly optimise their game as much as is possible.

What I would suggest:

Modem > XR500 (wired devices) > X10 (AP Mode)
Message 7 of 32
NandoFL
Star

Thank you for replying to my message.  

A couple of more questions...

Per your suggestion, I should connect both routers this way...

Modem > XR500 (wired devices) > X10 (AP Mode)

I suppose I should turn off QoS on the X10 and let the XR500 do all the QoS related job? Can I also turn off the wifi on XR500 and only use the wifi on the X10? (The X10 wifi is superb).

Again, thank you for your help and information.

Message 8 of 32
schumaku
Guru

The idea behind the AP mode is to re-configure the X10 to become a Wireless Access Point only - so you can retain the WiFi functionality (and the network switch ports). Advanced - Advanced Setup - Router/AP/Bridge Mode. A little bit an expensive WiFi AP I must admit.

Message 9 of 32
NandoFL
Star

I agree. It is expensive. 🙂

I always believe that if it is not broken, don’t try to fix it.

But my son still want to buy xr500. Thank you for the information. It is appreciated it.

Have a good day.
Message 10 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes you could do exactly that!
Message 11 of 32
vore82
Aspirant

xr500 is for pure gaming right ? is it just for 1 pc to play or can i use for +25 pc to play online , all this wired with a switch
Message 12 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can use multiple yes, you wouldn't be able to Geo-Filter them all but should be no need. QoS can definitely help in this situation.
Message 13 of 32
rebel_orbi
Tutor

Are there any routers that offer 10GBe and don't cost an arm and a leg?

I have an X10 also and debating if I should keep it or return it.

Its my main router connected to a Synology using LAG and two R7000 APs.

My cost was around $220 USD for it.

My priority is strong 10GBe and Link Aggregation. WiFi coverage would be a bonus.
Message 14 of 32
rebel_orbi
Tutor

Actually the wifi coverage is of use, I had it in the basement to cover the front and main floor of the house, since the two R7000s in AP were covering the back of the house and backyard and the other the top floor.

I use the Orbi RBK50 but found the lack of ethernet backhaul infuriating. 

The X10 looked promising with the use of a Plex Server, Link Aggregation and 10GBe. 

However the Plex Server puts way to much toll on the USB need for metadata caching and 802.11ad is dead.

So, I'm looking for a solution that would offer wifi, link aggregation and 10Gbe. 

I figure we are all due to upgrade once again once 802.11ax shows up with WAP3.

Message 15 of 32
schumaku
Guru

@rebeol_orbi wrote:

I use the Orbi RBK50 but found the lack of ethernet backhaul infuriating. 

Orbi does in general, and specifically also on the RBK50 support wired backhaul nowadays, isn't it? -> What is Ethernet backhaul and how do I set it up on my Orbi WiFi System

@rebeol_orbi wrote:

So, I'm looking for a solution that would offer wifi, link aggregation and 10Gbe. 

The trend does go away from single box routers. Think switching, wired backbone, distributed WiFi, ...  

Message 16 of 32
schumaku
Guru

Of course. One would assume that a switch infrastructure can act as the Orbi backhaul - not just the tree layout shown in the KB.

As soon as the SoC vendors have the chipsets ready, we will see "pre-standard" or "pre-ax" from all major router brands again. Long before the industry will adopt 802.11ax to the leading edge clients, and even longer before it will become mainstream. And then the "[vendor] makes no express or implied representations or warranties about this product’s compatibility with any future standards." and the like legal blush will pop-up again.

(This sub-forum is misconfigured ...)

Message 17 of 32
Pyretech
Initiate

“My son want to buy an XR500. We already have the X10. The X10 is an excellent router. The best I owned so far. It manage two Xbox and two PS4 and never have problem with the ports.

I don’t see any benefit with the XR500. Still, he will buy it. He will pay for the router. The question is, can this two routers co-exists with one cable modem only? Will I be able to set either router on bridge mode? What about QoS? Which one should be in charge?”

I have a similar set up 1 cable modem to a switch from the switch to two different routers. The caviat is I pay Comcast an extra $5 a month for a second IP address. This way each router has its own NAT.
Message 18 of 32
NandoFL
Star

That is a good idea. I would like that so my son can have his own router with a another ip address.
Unfortunately I called my cable company (Spectrum) and they don’t offer that service. They tried to sell me another cable subscription. I declined of course.
Thank you for the information.
Message 19 of 32
NandoFL
Star

Hello everyone.

“I am having difficulty understand this.....You purchased the X10 to connect 2 x Xbox and 2 x PS4, is that it? The best router you've owned? 802.11ad is dead, the box will be EOL. am I missing something”

I never mentioned  that the only reason I bought the X10 was to only connect the four consoles we have in our household. Not even close. It just happened that the old router died and it have an extended warranty at Best Buy.  I only paid the the extra for the X10 and at the time the X10 was on sale at Amazon and BB matched the price, plus some rewards certificate, I only paid $275 before tax for the X10. Not to shabby. So, why not.  After all, is my prerogative.

As of now, it is the best router I owned until the next one comes out.  

The 802.11 ad is dead? Who cares? Certainly not me. Even if I paid the $500 the X10 cost when it was release, I would not regret the purchase.

"Gaming routers for gamers, all you mention is the Xbox and PS4...and you don't see any benefit?.....your just playing with us!"

No sir, politely I will say this...

I am not play with you or anyone else. I respect you and every other human being. In no way I would come here to ask a simple question about a router just to "play with you".

🙂

Message 20 of 32
rebel_orbi
Tutor

You paid $275 for a router fill a function a sub $200 router from another brand could have done.

I paid around the same because I needed the 10Gbe, 802.11ad, and Plex Server functions.

The 802.11ad is dead in the water and the plex server barely holds because the USB drives get too hot when plugged in for the purpose of metadata caching. 

So the X10 is barebones router with a bodykit on it, made too look like a Ferrari, but build inside your home basement to create that illusion. 

Message 21 of 32
Whatisjose
Aspirant

Hey may I ask what speeds you're paying for and what speed youre getting from your router wirelessly? I have spectrum ultra 300 but only get around 230 with my nighthawk x6 so I might want to upgrade depending on your answer
Message 22 of 32
NandoFL
Star

Hello.  I am paying for 100 dl / 10 up using my X10 r9000 router. Wirelessly I get close to 110 down and 10 up using the 5 Gz band. With the 2.4 band I get like 80 to 90 download seed and 8 to 9 up.   I dont know aboutthe XR500 because I have the wireless radio turn off on that one.  To me, the speed is  enought and my family members are streaming often. when I am gaming, the speed of all devices drop to 70 down / 7 up but that is a feature of the XR500 to prioritize the bandwith to the console. A feature that can be on or off if you want.  Even when that happen there is not problem at all with my family streaming and they never complain about speed,

Of course, each household will be different.  Before getting a new one, trying changing the current wireless channel to 11 ot 1 on the current router.  Just out of curiosity, what is the speed when you test it using the lan port?

Have a good day.

Message 23 of 32
Whatisjose
Aspirant

Hey, before upgrading I had around those exact speeds with the modem and router in one I was given by spectrum. But now when I upgraded they replaced that one device with a separate router and modem. The router gave me 220 so I thought it was cheap so I got the x6 but I still get 220 and now for 2.4 I get 60 ( I changed the channel around too ). with an Ethernet cable on my pc I get what I'm paying for but I feel like wirelessly I should at least get 280
Message 24 of 32
NandoFL
Star

Mine is the X10 AD7200. (R9000). So far if working very good. 🙂

Message 25 of 32
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7