× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR 500, EX8000 AND a EAX 80?

fropwns
Aspirant

XR 500, EX800 AND a EAX 80?

So, as the title suggests, I have a XR 500 and EX 8000, which is powering our 3100 sq ft house, but as of late, with the addition of more and more devices (Ring, soon automated lighting), I am experiencing more problems with poor wifi signal. Now, I guess I could provide a basic schematic for all of this, and will if necessary, but essentially the XR500 is upstairs with our modem, the EX 5000 is downstairs next to the garage door, which allows for coverage to our fire tv and ring stuff out and the garage, and some of the other items down stairs as well (Ring front door cam, alarm, etc.). I am wondering if adding the EAX 80 would help my problem or not. I know this is horribly general, but I figure better to start basic and work from there.

Message 1 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR 500, EX800 AND a EAX 80?

How do you have the EX connected to the XR, via ethernet or by connecting to the XR WiFi? If the latter that might be where the issues lies. Do you have the issue if connecting direct to the XR wireless?
Message 2 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Since your XR doesn't support AX modes, I would not recommend a EAX as you not be using it to it's fullest abilities. 

What is the distance between the router and EX? 30 feet is recommended in between router and extenders to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Is beamforming enabled on the XR router? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@fropwns wrote:

So, as the title suggests, I have a XR 500 and EX 8000, which is powering our 3100 sq ft house, but as of late, with the addition of more and more devices (Ring, soon automated lighting), I am experiencing more problems with poor wifi signal. Now, I guess I could provide a basic schematic for all of this, and will if necessary, but essentially the XR500 is upstairs with our modem, the EX 5000 is downstairs next to the garage door, which allows for coverage to our fire tv and ring stuff out and the garage, and some of the other items down stairs as well (Ring front door cam, alarm, etc.). I am wondering if adding the EAX 80 would help my problem or not. I know this is horribly general, but I figure better to start basic and work from there.

Message 3 of 29
fropwns
Aspirant

By wifi

Message 4 of 29
fropwns
Aspirant

Beamforming is enabled and the router is my own personal one, Netgear CM 600. Wifi extender distance from router is tougher to ascertain as router is on the second floor, extender is on the first, but if I go by "the crow flies" I would say 30-50ft including going through the floor, walls, etc.

Message 5 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

How is the modem setup? Is it using WiFi as well? If so I'd recommend disabling that to reduce contention. Have you used a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channels and change to those?
Message 6 of 29
fropwns
Aspirant

The modem does not have built in wifi.   And yes to the wifi analyzer and changing the channels to best suit our network.

Message 7 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

How do you have the antennae placed? Are they pointing to different locations to get maximum coverage?
Message 8 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Most antenna postitions should be vertical for single level homes, at an angle, about 45 degrees for multi level homes. 

Message 9 of 29
fropwns
Aspirant

They are all (4) roughly at 45 degrees.

Message 10 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Where is the WiFi signal poorest? I'm not sure if you've mentioned.
Message 11 of 29
fropwns
Aspirant

Front of the house where the Front door is and the Ring doorbell cam is.

Message 12 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Depending upon the size of your phone, an EX7700 or 8000 maybe a good additon. The EX7700s I have works great with my XR450. 

@fropwns wrote:

The modem does not have built in wifi.   And yes to the wifi analyzer and changing the channels to best suit our network.

Message 13 of 29
fropwns
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply, I have already changed them to non-congestive channels.  I wondering if a second extender would actually help me or not.  I already have an EX8000

Message 14 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have a EX8000 then this should be all that you need. Placement and distance will be key here. 30 feet or more is recommended in between XR and EX to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. 

You may want to move the EX around enough to maybe help cover the front door area better...

Message 15 of 29
fropwns
Aspirant

The only problem, though, would be that would possibly limit its ability to reach my ring door alarm in my garage and my fire tv in there.

Message 16 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the distance between the Ring door bell in front and the door alarm and items in the garage? 

What is the current distance between the XR and EX right now? 

What is the SQ Ft of your home? 

I have a 5000sq ft home and just the XR450 and 1 EX7700 is enough to cover my area. Garage included. 

Something you can try and move the EX temporarily closer to the front door area and see if anything changes. You can always move it back.

IF the coverage between the XR and EX isn't enough to cover both front door area and the garage area, then another EX maybe needed. 

Message 17 of 29
fropwns
Aspirant

"What is the current distance between the XR and EX right now?" So, it is a two story home.  The XR 500 is upstairs, EX 8000 is downstairs. I would estimate 30-50 ft as the crow flies (meaning through walls and the second floor)

"Whats the distance between the Ring door bell in front and the door alarm and items in the garage?" The door bell cam to say the tv (through wall) is 30 feetish.   Door bell to say the ring door alarm? 80 feet or more.

"What is the SQ Ft of your home?" House is 3155 sq ft not including the garage is about 750-800 (extended three car); so 4000 sq ft.

Let me see if I can draw this out.

Message 18 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Well for that kind of sq ft home, the XR and the 1 EX should be enough. 

Relative positioning to the front door area may be key here. 

Message 19 of 29
fropwns
Aspirant

So let me ask this.  Am I better suited to have line of sight distance to the extender?  If so, I am not sure that will be possible.  Still working on a mock up.

Message 20 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Line of site is always best however in homes it cant be done in most home configurations. 

Mine aren't in line of site. Just placed out at a good distances. 

Message 21 of 29
fropwns
Aspirant

Here is the first floor

Message 22 of 29
fropwns
Aspirant

Here is the second floor.

Message 23 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok looking at the pictures, seems like the XR and EX are mostly right over each other in relation to the stairs. 

Is the Office on the 2nd floor over the area were the front ring door bell is? And is Master BR on 1st level under Master 2 BR on 2nd level? 

Seems like you may need to move the EX farther away on the 1st level. Say into the garage area...As a test. 

Modem and XR router are on 2nd story near the media room? 

Message 24 of 29
fropwns
Aspirant

Yes, the office is right over the front portion where the ring cam is.

Modem and XR are together in media room.

Master bedroom 2 is partially over part of master bath.  

Kinda of think of it like this:                       (Master bed 2)

(Master bed 1)

The only problem with moving it into the garage as a test is that the amount of available outlets in the garge is, let us say, paltry. lol.

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7