× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR 500 and Comcast xfinity gig internet Incompatable

Nrichards711
Aspirant

XR 500 and Comcast xfinity gig internet Incompatable

Hell everyone, 

A few months ago, I purchased the Netgear XR500 pro gaming router. My current ISP at the time was Spectrum and I had 400 Mbs service provided to my apartment. Well 4 days ago I moved out of my apartment to Georgia into a new house, and purchased Comcast Xfinity 1 Gig Internet. Now my XR500 isnt working properly, when I called Xfinity customer support. I was advised that the Nighthawk XR 500 does not work with Comcast Xfinity 1 GiG. Can anyone back this up? I find it hard to believe that a router that supports 1 gig internet would not work with their service.

Thank you again and hope someone can point me in the right direction. I would be upset to find out that the 300$ router I bought 3 months ago was now obsolete. 

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 17
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

They did give you incorrect advice, a router will work with basically any modem/router - likely don't want you using a third party router or haven't heard of the router yet.

What is the actual issue that you're having? Is it reaching your speeds? Did you use the setup wizard to setup the router again on the new connection or just plug it in without doing so?
Message 2 of 17
Nrichards711
Aspirant

It is not reaching the appropriate speeds, it is only letting me reach 60-150 mbs. Where as when I just hardwire into the cable modem I am getting 905 Mbs. 

Message 3 of 17
plemans
Guru

Whenever you setup new service, its always good to start fresh with your router. Thats setting it back to factory and redoing it from there. 

did you try this or just go from one to the next? 

What firmware is your XR500 on?

Message 4 of 17
Nrichards711
Aspirant

That is good to know, I will definitely follow these steps and update on what happens. Currently painting a room, but when done with the room will update with any news. Thank you again for the help so far!

Message 5 of 17
Xboxonex7
Aspirant

I have the same issue. I have gig internet and when I do the speed test I get 500 download paying for 860. When I update a game the speed is horrible or sometimes drops. I gotta change my dns settings to google or it won’t work. Please let me know what happens
Message 6 of 17
Nrichards711
Aspirant

I had issues with my ps4 last night not even on the nighthwak router with a streamed movie from the psn store dropping

Message 7 of 17
plemans
Guru

Did you perform the reset? Did that increase your speeds?

How is the ps4 connecting to the nighthawk? Wireless, wired? 2.4ghz channel 5ghz?

Message 8 of 17
Nrichards711
Aspirant

Last night I had my ps4 connected to my trusty netgear switch.

I just performed the reset and set up wizard for the router and was succesful in getting it set up to the the internet. The main issue tho is during the setup wizard, the speed test came back with 488 Mbs down and 44 Mbs upload. So its nowhere close to the 905 Mbs down I was getting off the Netgear Switch.

Message 9 of 17
Nrichards711
Aspirant

I just performed the reset and set up wizard for the router and was succesful in getting it set up to the the internet. The main issue tho is during the setup wizard, the speed test came back with 488 Mbs down and 44 Mbs upload. So its nowhere close to the 905 Mbs down I was getting off the Netgear Switch.

firmware 2.3.2.40 

Message 10 of 17
Nrichards711
Aspirant

Everything is hardwired to the router. Laptop, PS4, Tv.

Message 11 of 17
plemans
Guru

Are you using QoS? Try disabling/enabling it to see if it helps.

Another thing you can try is enabling/disenabling IvP6. I've had this help before. 

Message 12 of 17
Nrichards711
Aspirant

I usually use QOS. Just ran a speed test on speedtest.net

But when I ran the install wizard it set my router for QOS 488 because thats what it read... Do I have to redo the wizard for it to know its 1000 MBS? or is there a way to manually set it.

Message 13 of 17
Nrichards711
Aspirant

Ran a speedtest again still only pulling 500/600/800 Mbs its all sporatic and nothing consistent.

Message 14 of 17
plemans
Guru

If you have gigabit, disable QoS. Past 500 mbps, it really isn't needed. Also speedtest.net can give you the sporadic results because most servers can't saturate gigabit. 

Try speedtest.xfinity.com  or speedtest.googlefiber.net   usually these can saturate gigabit. 

Message 15 of 17
Xboxonex7
Aspirant

So the reset didn’t do anything basically?
Message 16 of 17
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

So just to be clear, what's the XR500 connected to upstream? An ISP modem or router? Is the XR500 the only thing that the modem's connected to? Is it in bridge mode, or is the XR500 in the DMZ of the modem?

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7