× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR1000 Connected to internet, Ethernet is working, wifi comes and goes

rjswayer
Tutor

XR1000 Connected to internet, Ethernet is working, wifi comes and goes

I've been having trouble with my wifi connection over the last few weeks.  My router indicates that it is connected to the internet, but the wifi connection will constantly disconnect and reconnect on my TV, computer, and iPad.  I will then switch over to my console (it's hardlined) and have no issues.  I've rebooted several times over the last week, and nothing has fixed this.  I'm trying to avoid a factory reset as I don't want to have to reset all my settings.  Is there anyone else that has experienced this?

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: XR1000 Connected to internet, Ethernet is working, wifi comes and goes

have you noticed a difference from 2.4ghz to 5ghz?

What modem/gateway is the router connected to? 

Message 2 of 9
rjswayer
Tutor

I have a Netgear CM1000-100NAS for my modem, ISP is Xfinity, and the 5ghz is turned off due to interference.  

To build more on Xfinity. They replaced all the cable ends in my apartment and replaced a bad cable to the telecom room from my apartment yesterday and everything is good on their end.  I'm reading 500+Mbs at the modem for connection speed with upload of 20 and ping at 15.

My 5ghz is turned off because I noticed drastic network speed changes when devices were connected to the 5ghz side, so I disabled it without issue 3 months ago when I first purchased the router.  Everything was great until the last week or so. 

Message 3 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

There may be some neighboring WiFi networks that have popped up around you, use a WiFi analyzer to find the least congested channel and change to that to see if it makes it more stable for you.
Message 4 of 9
plemans
Guru

The 5ghz is a much much faster network than 2.4ghz. It also doesn't broadcast as far or through as much materials. So if there's interference, there's likely even more interference on the 2.4ghz. Plus because 5ghz is so much faster, when a device is broadcasting, its a much shorter period. If the router isn't stable when using 5ghz, I'd be trying to fix that as it should be the fastest/best wireless connection. 

Message 5 of 9
rjswayer
Tutor

I am aware of the 5ghz being much faster, that's not the issue I am having though.  I turned off the 5ghz as it was the main cause for the lag spikes I had when gaming.  5ghz is not worth connecting to unless its through a computer or gaming system, but I hard line those for best speeds.  Phones, tablets, and most other devices are better off on the 2.4ghz.  I did do a full reset on my router and put the same settings back in place that I previously had.  It fixed the issue and is good to go now.  The 5ghz is still off though as I don't need it. 

Message 6 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Message 7 of 9
rjswayer
Tutor

I always keep a valid backup.  I restored from the previous version that was still operating as intended.  

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

It's recommended to make a new back up on the current version of FW. Older backups make on older version of FW can cause problems if loaded on newer versions of FW.

👍

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7