× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR1000 Connection issues-Please help!

Taurus2313
Guide

XR1000 Connection issues-Please help!

Okay I posted in another forum but it got no responses at all. I don't know what else I need to do. I have been having an issue with this router for week now.

I keep getting "cannot obtain IP address" for my wireless devices. I have power cycled my entire system (Modem and Router) hundreds of times (over a week now) and factory reset the router many times as well too but still I have this same issue. If I leave the factory SSID in place everything works fine for a while but once I change the SSID of the 2.4ghz band where all my devices are connected back to the one I created for them, 1 year 9 months ago it totally wipes out any connection to both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands. I get the dreaded "cannot obtain IP address" across the board for anything that is connected via Wi-Fi.

Hardwired devices sometimes work and sometimes not. It is like it is all over the place. I have NEVER seen or went through anything like this with a router before. I have discussions with my ISP, I have had discussions with Netgear support and still cannot get this issue resolved. Netgear support closed my ticket due to it being out of warranty. So now I am stuck like chuck!

Today I decided to do another factory reset on the XR1000 because my system went down again and it asked me for the Fixed IP address setting from my ISP. It has never asked me for that info before. I don't know what those numbers are so I cancelled the setup and did a chat with Xfinity to hopefully get them. They would not give them to me and kept saying that I had to contact ARRIS for that info. It seems I am stuck in an endless loop of getting nowhere. I am desperate. What else can I do at this point? I am trying to salvage and not replace this router.. I have come here for help or ideas as to what is causing this issue. Surely someone has some insight on what is causing this or what I need to do. I would appreciate any advice..

Modem standalone works fine. No Issues. XR1000 has latest firmware update.

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Most ISPs use DHCP for the WAN side so no FIXED IP configurations are not needed here from the ISP. Check with the ISP if you need to see if this is required by them. 

Your model Arris model will be telling as well. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Most ISPs use DHCP for the WAN side so no FIXED IP configurations are not needed here from the ISP. Check with the ISP if you need to see if this is required by them. 

Your model Arris model will be telling as well. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

Message 2 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Good advice above. In regards to the WiFi issue, could you clarify please? So you have the default SSID e.g. Netgear 26 that all devices are connected to, then you change the SSID e.g Taurus WiFi then they don't get an IP? Did you re-connect the devices to the new WiFi? Even though it may be the same name as what was used years ago, the information may have changed such as the security method so you would need to connect them again.
Message 3 of 14
Taurus2313
Guide

@Netduma-Fraser 

On the 2.4ghz band if I change that from the factory name & password SSID to the one that I have been using for the past 1yr 9 months then yes whenever the devices come online to connect to that 2.4ghz SSID it knock everything offline and I get the cannot obtain IP address issue across the board for both Wi-Fi 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands..

Yes the one day I was able to get everything back up and going again I did have to update every 2.4ghz controlled device (Bulbs, Plugs, Cameras etc..) to the SSID all over again and it was an utter pain to do that. It took me almost all day to get it done and that is using the same SSID that they are tethered to for the past 1yr 9months..

After changing from the factory one back to the one I had been using. I hope that this makes sense..

Message 4 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you provide the SSID name you're using or if you're not comfortable with that, is it just alphanumeric or are you using symbols in the name as well? If you are using symbols, what symbols are you using?
Message 5 of 14
Taurus2313
Guide

@Netduma-Fraser 

It is one capital letter at the beginning and the rest are all lowercase with a single number at the end like so for example..

Captainkangaroo2

No symbols in either SSID's or passwords..

I did reply back to Furrye38 but it wouldn't let me post it saying I was flooding the system or something like that. I will try to post my answers to his questions "Again" as well.

Message 6 of 14
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

How many characters is the password - is it quite long or similar to the default? Are you using Smart Connect or do you have that disabled? Could you please disable OFDMA for 2.4GHz apply, then change the SSID and see if it still causes the issue?
Message 7 of 14
Taurus2313
Guide

@Netduma-Fraser 

10 Characters in the PW. Am not using nor have I ever used Smart Connect as I like having 2 separate bands because of most smart home devices only will connect to 2.4ghz band. I don't want anything that would connect to 5ghz to switch to that 2.4ghz band automatically.

I was able to get the router up and running again for now. I did follow @FURRYe38  and change the IP Pool from 1-254 to 100-200 and I am hoping that made the difference. If there is a change and it goes down again I will certainly try what you suggested.

Thanks so much for the responses. It is VERY appreciated and was very helpful. If I have issues again I will come back here to update.

Message 8 of 14
Taurus2313
Guide

@FURRYe38 

I am so sorry. I did try to reply to your post like 3 times and it would say that it posted but it never did. Going to try to answer your questions again..

Firmware version is latest one 1.0.0.64  -Whenever doing a factory reset upon completion of the registration it would automatically check the router for the current firmware version and update it if needed so I was running the current updated one.

Stand alone modem is an AARIS SB8200 and I have been using Cat7 cables ever since I had this setup in 2/2021.

In short I had done everything that you had suggested already with the exception of changing the DHCP IP address pool range. Once I was finally able after many more attempts to get the router registered and going I did go into the settings and change the numbers to the ones that you suggested and so far it has not dropped off.

Message 9 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Please change the DHCP IP address pool size as well as suggested...

Message 10 of 14
Taurus2313
Guide

@FURRYe38 

From the above post..👆

"I did go into the settings and change the numbers to the ones that you suggested and so far it has not dropped off."

Thanks again..

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 12 of 14
Taurus2313
Guide

@FURRYe38 

Now that is really good advice!! I am going to do that. So far so good and no drops in internet connections to my devices on Wi-fi.

Thanks so much to both you and @Netduma-Fraser  for all your help..

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

😉

Have a great weekend.

Message 14 of 14
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7