× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR1000 Packet Loss while gaming

Inoculate
Guide

Here is 3 photos. These are the spikes I am getting and sometimes it gets bad enough to actually reset my WAN connection and boot everyone offline. This happens with both current firmware and trial. I am the only one on internet and this PC is also the only device connected currently.

Message 26 of 53
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The spikes are pretty minimal really, only going up to around 30ms which wouldn't be too perceptible. There is a little packet loss but it does recover. Can you try a local site as well and also when you're connected direct to the modem please?
Message 27 of 53
Inoculate
Guide

Yes, most of the time thankfully it's minimal and does recover. At times, it does get severe and the other night I was playing and i got totally disconnected from the game and discord servers. I will plug directly into modem again and monitor it. I've never had an issue with only modem. How long would you like me to monitor the modem connection? Would you like screenshots every hour for maybe 2 or 3 hours or PL, whichever occurs first? I can do the same for the router as well so I can get stable, consistent results for the team.
Message 28 of 53
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yeah that would be good, really what I want to determine is whether you get this packet loss when direct to the modem as well - if you do then that would indicate and issue with the line/modem itself and the router can be ruled out
Message 29 of 53
Inoculate
Guide

Message 30 of 53
Inoculate
Guide

Here are a few sites, Fox 8 being a local news station. Played for about an hour and a half, 2 hours. This is with Modem direct. Would you like me to do same test with router?

Message 31 of 53
Inoculate
Guide

Here is Fox and Twitter with the router plugged in, Ethernet connection. I have notcied the lag spikes are actually not as bad with this trial firmware however, I do occasionally hit a bad section still and I will lose all connection and it reconnects itself eventually which is where I experience server disconnects because I "time out". 

Message 32 of 53
Inoculate
Guide

Twitter router ethernet

Message 33 of 53
Inoculate
Guide

The most recent 2 red lines you see caused me to disconnect from discord and freeze in Call of duty but reconnected in like...5 ish seconds.

Message 34 of 53
Inoculate
Guide

Message 35 of 53
Inoculate
Guide

Sorry for all the photos. I'm just showiong as much data as possible. Here, I lost all internet connection and got kicked from lobby.

Message 36 of 53
Inoculate
Guide

so...remember when I was concerned about the DoS attacks? Well, I decided to disable port scan and dos protection and thankfully, its not bugged in this trial firmware. So far, 0 red lines, 0 interuptions with internet. I could be speaking too soon. If this does prevent the internet dropping and PL issues, do you think its because the router is being flooded with logs and causing issues?

Message 37 of 53
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Ahh well done on figuring that out, it's quite possible those settings were blocking legitimate packets and causing the problems - keep monitoring it and let us know how you get on.
Message 38 of 53
Inoculate
Guide

The connection drops way extremely less frequent now. I do get a connection drop at least once every hour which is way more managable. I looked at the router logs and it does say internet connected at xx:xx:xx and the time sync with NTP server when it does drop but thats only happend 2x in 2 hours. You thinking its just a firmware issue?

Message 39 of 53
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That's quite frequent, can you provide the system log please when it happens? Then I can better determine whether its a firmware issue specifically that needs a fix
Message 40 of 53
Inoculate
Guide

Okay I will do that for you. I want to take the time to thank you very much for you support and dedication. Without you, none of this would be possible. I know sometimes, these things can be stressful and I know it's hard to help people over the internet when your not in control of others networks to see for yourself. I have a hard time trying to help my friends out over internet things because I have to have my hands on it. I try to give you as much info and detail that I can to make your job easier. Thanks again and I look forward to working with you again in the future, maybe with less issues. Netgear senior tech has my phone number and they will be giving me a call sometime soon. I will let them know of my experience with current UPnP and the need to disable port scan and dos protection just to get a more stable connection. I'll also explain trial 10054 does in fact fix UPnP issues. I'll post those logs when I can for you!

Message 41 of 53
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great! Thank you for the kind words, that's very nice of you, I do appreciate it a lot! Hopefully they'll have some additional steps you can try
Message 42 of 53
Inoculate
Guide

[Time synchronized with NTP server] Thursday, Jul 01,2021 00:34:48 [Internet connected] IP address: 104.231.97.103, Thursday, Jul 01,2021 00:34:48

Here is the log I just received and also I added a photo from pingplotter and you can see the red lines. It was at this time that we got connection interrupted and my WAN time had reset on the router status page.

Message 43 of 53
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Time synchronization shouldn't cause any problems, the packet loss is minimal really, I can't see why it would cause such a disconnection. Have you heard anything back from NG?
Message 44 of 53
Inoculate
Guide

Nothing yet. I let ping plotter run all night and my WAN has only been on for 11 minutes as I type this. Someting is causing my WAN to disconnect and reset everything and when it does that, thats when we get interrupted during everything we do just stops for a good 5 to 10 seconds. I'm not sure what to do at this point but go back to my other router and let this one sit. The dos protection being disabled did slow down the WAN reset but something else is triggering it.

I will add a file too. The darker red lines is when WAN resets. The thin red lines, we dont actually feel or experience an issue. 

System Up Time 1 days 05:34:05

PortStatusTxPktsRxPktsCollisionsTx B/sRx B/sUp Time
WAN1000M/Full5621165161011681593800:15:47
LAN11000M/Full25781779106430260724141446516:28:31
LAN2--000001 days 05:34:05
LAN3--000001 days 05:34:05
LAN4--000001 days 05:34:05
2.4G WLAN b/g/n/ax600M1098778732954083679491 days 05:34:05
5G WLAN a/n/ac/ax4800M142705010286500140535431

1 days 05:34:05

Message 45 of 53
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You could try reinstalling the firmware with TFTP https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP which will upload the firmware bypassing the boot process and any issues there. Then when it's done do a factory reset, that will give you the cleanest possible installation and hopefully may reduce the issues
Message 46 of 53
Inoculate
Guide

Okay, I tried that and I'm still having WAN disconnect and reset. My R8000 router doesnt have the DoS attacks like this one does and I also don't lose the WAN connection. It's gotta be a firmware issue or hardware issue. Actually, I had to go back to the last firmware on my R8000 opposed to the current one because my internet speeds were not even hitting 100 out of 400. After going back to previous version, speeds were above normal. This seems to be a Netgear pattern with their firmwares. One breaks another and so on. Hopefully netgear can fix this soon and once its stable, if ever, i wont be downloading new firmwares cause whew, this is tiring and i dont need things to keep breaking haha.

Message 47 of 53
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's an issue NG are aware of but it doesn't usually happen this frequently, you could try going back to a previous version and see if that is more stable.
Message 48 of 53
Inoculate
Guide

Update: Can confirm this was faulty hardware. I went to bestbuy and bought the same router. no issues with the new one. Sadly im 300 dollars in the hole beacuse netgear support takes FOREVER to help out.

Message 49 of 53
Inoculate
Guide

After 14 hours, the WAN reset and now its resetting every 6 to 12 hours and this causes internet disconnects. I am going to return this router and buy an R2 from your website. Done with Netgear. I submitted a support ticket on July 2nd and I was told I was priority. I have not received a phone call or email since. Netgear is dropping the ball and none of this is Netduma's fault. 

Message 50 of 53
Discussion stats
  • 52 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7