× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR1000 QOS for gigabit

Rome916
Aspirant

I must’ve read it wrong. I just checked and it said 25 plus. But I don’t know what can be the issue. I know I have to connect every device that uses Wi-Fi but we have an iMac that we don’t use that’s connected and a smart tv that we don’t use but still connected to the Wi-Fi. I’ve tried almost everything to get an optimal performance for gaming but it just seems the QOS doesn’t perform well with my connection. I had an isp tech come over and look over my coax cables and everything and to his investigation. Everything was on par. I don’t know if it’s because I have one too many devices on network but this seems to just make gaming not enjoyable anymore. Too much aggravation if I knew he should’ve died. Why aren’t my bullets registering. My next theory is that even tho I have such a high speed connection. I should probably set my QOS to like 800-35 instead of my actual average speed which is 944-42. Or I should just put my max speeds which is 1.2gb-42mb. But given the xr1000 doesn’t support anything over 1 gig. I should maybe put it at 1g-42mb. Idk but I’ll keep experimenting. Also what algorithm does the duma QOS use. Like cake or codel. Or duma has their own exact algorithm for it. I heard fq_codel is one of the best algorithm.
Message 26 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is your experience like if you connect direct to the modem? I would suspect it would be better without other devices using bandwidth but if not that would indicate an issue the router isn't able to resolve. Do try forcing servers further away as a lot of people try that with good success. FQ_Codel plus our own algorithm.
Message 27 of 55
Rome916
Aspirant

Well when I had my isp modem/ router all in one. My gameplay was a lot worse with all devices connected to it. But the current modem I have is just a modem and it is not capable of producing Wi-Fi. Would you suggest me to just buy a modem that is Wi-Fi capable and produces internet and ditch the xr1000?
Message 28 of 55
Rome916
Aspirant

Mind you my modem is the nighthawk cm2050v with built in automatic QOS. Idk if that would be interfering with the xr1000 QOS
Message 29 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, the CM series modems do not have QoS features. Yours just has voice features for phone support. 

I would recommend a CAT6A STP cable between his modem and the XR router as well. 

Message 30 of 55
Rome916
Aspirant

I have a cat 8 rj45 shielded cable running from the modem to the xr1000 wan
Message 31 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 32 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No that's not what I would suggest, I just want to see if you have the same issue. That would be a perfect test then to connect your gaming device direct to the modem instead of the XR, no other devices can possibly affect it and then you can see what the experience is.
Message 33 of 55
Rome916
Aspirant

Well I did try this. I once disconnected all my devices and connected my pc directly to the modem and my gameplay was amazing. Too bad i couldn’t use this set up because my devices need to be on the network as well.
Message 34 of 55
Rome916
Aspirant

Only thing that sucks is my modem has one lan port and that’s how I use it to connect my xr1000 to the internet.
Message 35 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Modems can only pass internet through to one device. Okay so it probably is related to your devices/settings. Have you tried forcing other servers yet?
Message 36 of 55
Rome916
Aspirant

Won’t be able to till I’m back in town this Monday but I believe it is my settings. I just don’t know what to do at this point. Duma is so buggy on the xr1000
Message 37 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Okay keep us posted, if those changes don't help I'm sure we can think of some other things that may help, if not the new firmware shouldn't be far off now.
Message 38 of 55
Rome916
Aspirant

So far no help even with long distance servers. Tried almost everything so I don’t know what could be making my bufferbloat spike so much. Do you have any idea when the new duma firmware will be out for the xr1000? Any estimated release date?
Message 39 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We don't give out any ETAs but it shouldn't be much longer. We'll be doing a big DPI update as well soon which may actually help as well.
Message 40 of 55
Rome916
Aspirant

I hope it is soon. Now currently I am looking at the asus GT-AX11000 pro. I’ve seen really good reviews for it’s QOS ability but I’m still having high hopes for the XR1000. I really want to love your guys’ duma software but so far it has been a huge let down on my end. I don’t know if it’s because I have too many devices the xr1000 can handle or it’s just the software itself. All I know is I’m just left bamboozled with a QOS mess
Message 41 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you using IPv6, PPPoE or VLAN? If so that could be causing QoS to not be as effective which might explain the problem
Message 42 of 55
Rome916
Aspirant

I’m using dhcp as I have a cable connection with Xfinity and no I have ipv6 turned off.
Message 43 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status and event log page.
https://kb.netgear.com/30007/How-do-I-obtain-the-cable-connection-information-from-a-NETGEAR-cable-m...
https://kb.netgear.com/30008/How-do-I-view-or-clear-the-event-logs-on-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-mode...

@Rome916 wrote:
Mind you my modem is the nighthawk cm2050v with built in automatic QOS. Idk if that would be interfering with the xr1000 QOS

Message 44 of 55
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It might be best to factory reset and just make changes to Congestion Control without changing anything else out of the ordinary to see if it's a misconfigured setting
Message 45 of 55
Rome916
Aspirant

I actually did try that before I came to these forums. But for now I will shelf my xr1000 until the new duma firmware comes out.
Message 46 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you please post the two log pages for the CM modem so we can review that please. Lets make sure the modem is to spec. 

Message 47 of 55
Rome916
Aspirant

I sure will. Right now I am at work so I will provide a screen shot of the modem event log when I get home.
Message 48 of 55
FURRYe38
Guru

👍

Message 49 of 55
Rome916
Aspirant

So an update. I decided to purchase one of Asus’s newest gaming routers (GT-AX11000 Pro). The QOS bandwidth limiter has worked phenomenally. Simple set up and I was getting consistent A+ plus bufferbloat grades. I don’t know if it’s there firmware but it seems to work very impressively for my connection line. Obviously I would’ve loved this type of performance from you duma guys but unfortunately with all the efforts I made to ensure I can get an optimal gaming experience. It just didn’t work out. Hopefully in the future I can come back to you guys as I really love your guys software features such as geo filtering.
Message 50 of 55
Discussion stats
  • 54 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7