× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR1000 SLOW WIFI SPEEDS

Tots343
Guide

XR1000 SLOW WIFI SPEEDS

Recently just bought a XR1000 gaming router, after setup ive noticed i was getting 85 download which i am paying for 900 down, but getting full 24 up. Ive just set my computer up and hard wired it to the router and found that im getting full speeds through hard wire. Ive tried everything ive read about disabling QOS and having Armour disabled but yet no luck with wifi speeds increasing. I cant seem to find a solution to increasing my wifi speed one bit. Any bit of advice would be greatly appricated!

Thanks

Message 1 of 30
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Are you using SmartConnect? Could you please try disabling that if you are and connect to the 5GHz channel, then re-test speeds from nearby the XR?

Message 2 of 30
Tots343
Guide

Smart connect is disable as well. I’ve tried turning in on to see if would help with speeds, nothing. So I turned it back off
Message 3 of 30
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

What device are you testing your speeds with over wireless? Is it definitely connecting to the 5Ghz channel and not the 2.4Ghz channel?

Message 4 of 30
Tots343
Guide

I’m using a iPhone XS max, air book pro both on 5ghz and right next to the router.
Message 5 of 30
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Could you please go to QoS and under Bandwidth allocation, hit 'Reset Allocation' and make sure that Share Excess is enabled from the three-line menu?

After that, retest your speeds and let me know if you're still having the same issue.

Message 6 of 30
Tots343
Guide

okay i tested this and i was running speeds at 550 but why isnt the 2.4 getting full speeds either?

Message 7 of 30
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Was 'Share Excess' previously disabled in Bandwidth Allocation? If so, that's why the speeds were reduced.

What exact speeds are you now getting through 2.4 and 5GHz?

Message 8 of 30
Tots343
Guide

No, share excess was not disable.

5ghz averages 500
2.4ghz averages 90
Message 9 of 30
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Could you please use a Wi-Fi analyser (there's one on the Microsoft Store called 'Wi-Fi Analyser') to look at what channels your neighbouring Wi-Fi networks are using, then adjust your XR's Wireless settings to ensure you're using the least busy channels for both 2.4 and 5. After you've adjusted this, please see if there's any improvements to your speeds.

Message 10 of 30
Tots343
Guide

Okay I will try this when I get home from work and will give you a follow up
Message 11 of 30
FURRYe38
Guru

Remember that 2.4Ghz is limited by channel width which on 2.4Ghz is 40Mhz I believe is max.

2.4GHz AX: 2x2 (Tx/Rx) 1024/256 QAM
20/40MHz, up to 600Mbps†< This is a CONNECTION RATE ONLY. Differs from actual bandwidth speed.

Also its a 2x2 antanna MIMO configuration which also is limiting.

So wifi speeds seen on 2.4Ghz depending upon connection rate will not be as fast as what 5Ghz does. 

https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

@Tots343 wrote:
No, share excess was not disable.

5ghz averages 500
2.4ghz averages 90

Message 12 of 30
Tots343
Guide

speeds got alittle worse by switching the the recommended channels

Message 13 of 30
Tots343
Guide

@FURRYe38 hmm okay i kinda understand what you said but i had X6S before i moved and sold it and i didnt have one problem getting the speeds in 5ghz or 2.4ghz. Just thought upgrading too the XR would benifit me aliitle more =/

Message 14 of 30
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

On 5GHz change the mode to 2400Mbps, apply then see if the speeds are any better at all.
Message 15 of 30
Tots343
Guide

went up about 50 Mbps

Message 16 of 30
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

What is the exact make and model of your modem? Is it a router/modem (Wi-Fi capable) or is it a pure modem?

If possible, could you put the XR1000 into AP mode and check whether your speeds improve? This will tell us if something in DumaOS is causing the speed reduction.

Message 17 of 30
Tots343
Guide

It’s just a modem but it’s a Netgear cm700.

What’s AP mode? And how would find that mode?
Message 18 of 30
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

You can enable AP mode by going to the Settings tab and follow the below guide:

https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode

I believe you might not get connectivity through the XR in AP mode with a pure modem, but please do go ahead and try as I can't remember exactly.

Message 19 of 30
Tots343
Guide

Oh Yes I’ve read up before making the post, I’ve tried and had zero connectivity because of having the pure modem, I actually had to hard reset to to get it out of AP
Message 20 of 30
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

OK thanks for confirming, apologies you needed to reset. If you have a spare router lying around, put it between the XR and the modem and test AP mode, if you don't though don't worry about it.

Out of interest, have your speeds improved at all since the reset? When you setup the router again did you put 900/24 as your bandwidth speeds?

Message 21 of 30
Tots343
Guide

It’s okay understandable but no, speeds did not increase at all really stayed the same as I posted earlier, the bandwidth is set to that speed as you posted, I’m just baffled on what could be choking the speeds…
Message 22 of 30
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Couple of things to try/double check:
Make sure the router isn't on the floor so it's elevated instead.
It's not on a metal surface as this can interfere with the signal.
Electrical/wireless devices e.g. headphones, remotes etc are not within close proximity >~3 feet if possible
Make the antennae look like this _ | | _
Message 23 of 30
Tots343
Guide

The router has been elevated and away from electroics since we started this process and also the antennas have been in _l l _ the entire time also.

Message 24 of 30
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Could you please click the (i) icon next to the Wi-Fi Network on your iPhone then disable Private Address. After this, test your speeds again and see if you're able to get any better speeds.

Message 25 of 30
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7