× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR1000 Slow WIFI download speed

sweeney515
Aspirant

XR1000 Slow WIFI download speed

Hello i have the XR1000 Wifi 6 gaming router and I have 400 mbps spectrum service which i almost get at ethernet cable direct connect speeds but the wifi I'm only getting around 100 mbps. Any ideas ? 

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: XR1000 Slow WIFI download speed

what device are you testing with? 

Are you testing over 2.4ghz?

5ghz?

What app are you using for testing? 

Message 2 of 7
sweeney515
Aspirant

I am using my desktop pc that has an Intel dual band wireless AC adapter. I am on the 5HZ connection, and using the ookla site speedtest.net
Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

how far from the router are you? 

Have you tried other devices?
what actual intel card is it? 

What firmware is on the wireless card? 

Message 4 of 7
sweeney515
Aspirant

My PC is probably about 25-30 feet away. Signal strength in netsh interface shows 85%. It is the AC 8265 card, I looked at the specs and it seems like it can go to 400 mbps or better on wifi on 5Ghz. I don't see firmware but i see driver version 20.70.19.1. My iphone if i go to the speedtest page in safari gets 400 mbps. 

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

5ghz speeds drop off quickly with distance/obstructions. 5ghz also doesn't penetrate materials as well as 2.4ghz so if there obstructions in the way, it can also slow down speeds. 

If your phone is getting full speed, I don't think its an issue of the router. You're also a bit behind on the intel driver. 

I'd recommend taking a read through this article on wifi misconceptions

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

Message 6 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Good advice above, if the phone reaches the speeds then it does indicate that specific device is the reason rather than the router.
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7