× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR1000 Traffic Controller

DJacker
Tutor

XR1000 Traffic Controller

I am adding rules to the traffic controller in my Nighthawk XR1000 and I can't make one work. Specifically, I am trying to allow my phone to connect to a specific port (9339), but with the rule in place, I am getting blocked.

Attached is what my traffic controller looks like. Anything out of the ordinary? I tried to find something in the logs both in Event Capture and in Settings > Monitoring > Logs, but there is nothing useful there. 

Also, I have tried loosening rule #4 to allow all traffic and that does not help. Only thing that works is disabling every rule, which is not optimal.

Firmware - 1.0.0.58_1.0.44

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR1000 Traffic Controller

It's built in without any configurable options, it will not be blocking anything you need - if it rejected all inbound you would have no internet - port forwarding is what is needed for allowing games to work properly.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I wouldn't suggest having the first three rules that you do, it's not particularly safe. Could you tell us a little about your situation for this port as Traffic Controller might not be the right feature
Message 2 of 6
DJacker
Tutor

I am trying to setup rules, much like in a firewall, to control what comes in and goes out. Because as far as I can tell, if there are no rules at all, then everything is allowed.

How are the first three not safe? Destination ports are those for HTTP, HTTPS and DNS, which are necessary to surf the web. Source port is the entire range since it is always going to be ephemeral.

With rules 1, 2, 3 and 5 I can surf normally but can't do other stuff like play games on my PlayStation or my phone. Rule #4 is meant to unlock one of the games I play, but it does not seem to be working like 1-3 do.

Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The router has a built in Firewall and will not allow all connections, its not necessary to make rules like that you can browse etc perfectly fine without them. HTTP is unsecured compared to HTTPS for example.

It doesn't unlock ports, it sounds like you need port forwarding to open the specific port you need for the game, then it should work.
Message 4 of 6
DJacker
Tutor

Is the firewall somewhere where I can configure it? Or does it just come with a default config? It's the latter, which one? Allow all outbound, and reject all inbound?

Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's built in without any configurable options, it will not be blocking anything you need - if it rejected all inbound you would have no internet - port forwarding is what is needed for allowing games to work properly.
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7