× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR1000 WiFi Problems

SmokeyOdin
Tutor

XR1000 WiFi Problems

Hi All

I've been getting this problem when making any changes in the GUI (ie: static ips for computers etc, port forwarding, changing wifi name etc etc) the WiFi speed drops to about ~5% of my wired speed.

I've reset the router about 4 times today trying to work out why the wifi keeps dropping so badly but I cant seem to understand it.

Just to add some info, I'm on a XR1000 on Virgin Media UK, 600Mbps wired download speed and ~30Mbps upload wired and on WiFi <50Mbps download and upload seems to be okay at the moment.

Also when I reset the router and set it up again the WiFi speeds are perfect as they should be, but as soon as I make any changes it then drops my download speeds.

Any suggestions of things to try are very welcomed.

Thanks all

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
SmokeyOdin
Tutor

Re: XR1000 WiFi Problems

ok so quick update this morning, I fixed it last night by changing the 5Ghz channel band from 44 to another one and its working perfectly now!!

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

How do you have the V Hub setup - is it in modem mode or have you put the XR WAN IP in its' DMZ? Where are you testing the WiFi speeds exactly?
Message 2 of 5
SmokeyOdin
Tutor

Hi,

Yeah the VHub is in modem mode and using the SpeedTest app to test speeds, this has only just started happening over the last week or so and I'm just coming up to having the router for 3 months now

Message 3 of 5
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I have VM as well and find the modem mode to be a little finicky, could you use the DMZ instead and see if that helps at all with the WiFi speeds?
Message 4 of 5
SmokeyOdin
Tutor

ok so quick update this morning, I fixed it last night by changing the 5Ghz channel band from 44 to another one and its working perfectly now!!

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7