× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR1000 + Xbox series X High ping

Belvedere89
Aspirant

Re: XR1000 + Xbox series X High ping

just played with that same friend : still getting a 20-30 ms difference. sometimes a bit better : around 10ms difference. also i dont know if it changes anything but my ping fluctuates a lot : ill be ranging from 85 up to 105 up and down non stop. When i play on my PC, my ping is stable at whatever ping im at ( example if im at 80, i might change to 80-81-79 but thats it but on xbox series x... my ping fluctuates a lot.

Message 26 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Do the process I detailed above again please, then play solo and see where you're placed, whether the ping is lower when the server is within your radius etc
Message 27 of 32
Belvedere89
Aspirant

did that, eveything is good but still that 25-30 ping difference on all servers. When i get lucky, i connect to oregon : 45 ping but its a busy server. Restricting my connection to only that one would take an hour before i get on a game and that is still a 20 ping difference. I can understand a 20 ping difference for oregon tho but why would the router ping the server at 50 on other ones and give me a 90-100-110 ping on my side ? I played with that same friend last night : only one server out of 15 games my ping was better than his by an average of 5ms. 2 servers out of 15 were on par with his and the rest were 25-30 over his. Im starting to think this is the best i can do but at the same time im frustrated that he has a DSL line at 75mbps down and probably 25 mbps up with a better ping than me with the tv on, and wifi running on his phone with one of his friend over and a roomate while i have 1000mbps fiber optic with a gaming router that supposed to be the caddilac of caddilac. Even tho i have about 30 devices connected, there is about 14-15 connected at all times and the rest is on and off. Also with the traffic monitor page on the router : my xbox doesnt use much, my security camera uses about 3-4 mbps and my samsung tv using netflix uses 30mbps at most for 4k... Also, with all the wiring being cat6 which should be in the ballpark of 550hz for bandwidth, i dont think i have any crosstalk or interference happening since disconnecting everything doesnt affect it. Im very troubled with all this and this is "annoying" but i have to be realistic. So any idea if there is a setting somewhere else on my LAN or WAN set up that i could uncheck or check, or DNS settings that could be changed ( i also put the automatic DNS on my xbox instead of Google dns... .didnt change much ). Im just trying to see if there is anything else than the geofilter that could help me at this point.

Message 28 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is the exact model of your modem? Also connect directly to the modem without anything else connected, what ping do you get then? Also while direct to the modem do a speedtest.net test, what ping does it show?
Message 29 of 32
Belvedere89
Aspirant

modem : huawei echolife HG8240u

Xbox on modem :

xbox setting stats for speed : 1080mbps down 643 up with 46 ms with 0 packet loss and 1480 mtu

xbox microsoft edge speedtest.net : 950mbps down 940 up 3 ms

xbox thru xr1000 settings stats : 1170 mbps down 599 up 41 ms

xbox speed test on edge :

1st try : 2 ms 600 mbps down 945 up

2nd try : 1 ms 560 mbps down 945 up

3rd try : 3 ms 950mbps down 935 up ( this one was done with real speed test app on xbox series x which uses speedtest.net )

4th try using same app : 3ms 940 down 940 up

While connected straight to modem to my xbox series x in solo warzone : 1. 100ms 2. 105ms 3. 90ms 4. 110ms

Message 30 of 32
Belvedere89
Aspirant

also with my computer connected to xr1000 : 4 tests at 650 down and 650 up with 1 ms. ( average. some test at 645, some at 660 )

closed the window, and did another one : 3 tests at 860 down 940 up 1 ms.

Message 31 of 32
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thank you for all that information, as your pings are good except for to the game even direct to the modem I think it must be the routing to the server and that's not something we can resolve directly - that's down to the ISP
Message 32 of 32
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7