× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR1000 haserl CGI Error

SillyMo
Tutor

XR1000 haserl CGI Error

Hello!

I have an XR1000 that throws the following message when I try to log in to the admin page after rebooting the router.

haserl CGI Error
Failed to readline from 'config get DumaOS_Theme_Version'

Unfortunately I have to reboot the router quite frequently (once a week or so) due to the DNS issues that has been following me through every XR product I have had.  The only thing I have been able to do to get around this is master reset the router.  As you can imagine I'm not very excited to redo all my settings weekly.  

So!  Help?

Message 1 of 56
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

When does the error start to appear, is it after heavy usage, a reboot, settings changes etc? I see you have an Adblocker on the web browser, can you whitelist the interface please and see if that makes a difference?
Message 2 of 56
SillyMo
Tutor

It seems to have been happening for the past 2 months or so on every reboot.

The issue is the router stops serving IPs for my wireless devices every week or so, so I reboot the router.  I noticed the issue when the Duma OS Android app wouldn't log in and just said Unknown Error Occurred.  I then tried to log in via a browser and got the message.  When this happens the only thing I have been able to do to get around this is reset the entire router using the pin hole then redo my entire setup.  About a week later we repeat this process.  (Side note, I'm getting really tired of these DNS issues)  I have tried to reinstall the firmware via the browser.  I looked at the TFTP process, but the directions say to look for an orange light, as far as I can tell my router doesn't have an orange light and I didn't want to make anything worse.

I disabled every plug-in in Edge Chromium and am still get the message.  I removed the AdBlock and still get the message.  I have tried it in Chrome, Edge Chromium, and Opera.  To make sure it wasn't my computer, I pulled out my Windows laptop and my MacBook Pro and get the same thing.

Message 3 of 56
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The amber light is when you're doing the process, you won't see it at the start. I prefer this method, if you do it wrong then it just won't upload the firmware so it's perfectly fine to do - it can take a few tries sometimes to get the timing but I think in your case it's vital you do so https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Message 4 of 56
SillyMo
Tutor

I tried to get the firmware uploaded for 2 hours. Every time it would fail so I gave up.

Now my router has been reset and it's not handing out an ips on the 2.4 ghz.

This is getting beyond ridiculous.
Message 5 of 56
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

That's strange, so devices on the 5GHz channel are getting IPs fine?

Do you have SmartConnect enabled or disabled?

Message 6 of 56
SillyMo
Tutor

Devices on 5ghz get their IPs fine.

Double checked and SmartConnect is off.

After 4 master resets, 2.4 started to hand out IPs.

Message 7 of 56
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

OK, good work.

Have you since tried the TFTP upgrade now that it appears to be funcitoning properly again?

Message 8 of 56
SillyMo
Tutor

Oh its not functioning properly.  It might be handing out IPs... but after rebooting it I can't change any settings.  Chaning anything on the Duma side, it just throws an error.  Attempting to get to the actual router settings, it never loads, just a blank page.  

Thankfully I made the choice to get ProSupport so I RMA'd the thing. While I have absolutely no belief that the 3rd one will work as it should, hopefully the 3rd one is the charm.

Message 9 of 56
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

OK thank you the update, let us know if you have any further problems.

Message 10 of 56
patrickbedgood
Apprentice

I have the same issue, had to reboot my XR1000 router because Ring Support recommended me do this since we were troubleshooting an issue with one of my cameras. There is no reason at all why we should be dealing with something like this in any NetGear router, absolutely ridiculous and I really want to return this router and go back to my AX3000 model because it also allowed me to reboot the gateway from the mobile app, without requiring me to start the config process all over again. So what is the recommended solution for this particular issue because I am unable to login. 

haserl CGI Error

Failed to readline from 'config get DumaOS_Theme_Version'
Message 11 of 56
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can reboot from the mobile app as well without setting up again. Have you tried the previous suggestions from this topic?
Message 12 of 56
patrickbedgood
Apprentice

I just reset and configured router again. Do you mind providing link to instructions that will allow me to reboot via mobile app? At this point, I will do whatever is necessary. 

Thanks 

Message 13 of 56
patrickbedgood
Apprentice

Message 14 of 56
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can download the Netgear App or the DumaOS app from your mobile app store and they will have the reboot option there in settings. TFTP is for re-installing the firmware bypassing the boot process, it could be helpful for your issue so would suggest trying it
Message 15 of 56
patrickbedgood
Apprentice

I already have the NetGear mobile app installed and I use to reboot my AX3000 NetGear router remotely all the time with no issues. As far as the firmware, I dont have any other firmware files available and here is the current version installed. Are you saying I need to downgrade the firmware or install another version?

XR1000 1.0.0.52_1.0.38

Message 16 of 56
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

You can re-install the same version you're on, you can find the file here: https://kb.netgear.com/000062702/XR1000-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-52 use it as per the TFTP guidelines and then that should resolve the issue, you may need to factory reset once you've waited 2 minutes after TFTP completes and if doesn't work
Message 17 of 56
patrickbedgood
Apprentice

I just installed the DumaOS mobile app, are you saying if I press reboot, the router will not lose its configuration? If the router reboots and has to be factory reset, are you saying I need to upgrade the firmware using these steps or do I need to upgrade the fimware using these steps regardless then test the reboot process?

Message 18 of 56
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Correct, rebooting it there will not cause a loss of settings. Follow the TFTP process and install the same firmware. Once you've done that, wait 2 minutes then try to access the interface. If it doesn't work then hold the reset button for 30 seconds, release, wait 2 minutes then see if you have access
Message 19 of 56
patrickbedgood
Apprentice

So applying the firmware via this method is what resolves the config loss issue during a reboot?
Message 20 of 56
patrickbedgood
Apprentice

Also, forgot to ask important question. Will holding the reset button using a toothpick not fully factory reset the router again back to factory defaults? I dont mind applying this firmware using TFTP method and if the update applies this way, can the router also be rebooted via the NetGear NightHawk mobile app or only via the DUMAOS mobile app?

Message 21 of 56
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I thought you were still getting the error - if you are follow TFTP - if you're not ignore it. Rebooting via the app will not cause settings loss. You can reboot via both apps. Holding the reset button for 30 seconds does fully reset it - it will stay on the same firmware though.
Message 22 of 56
patrickbedgood
Apprentice

When I try to execute TFTP as the XR1000 is booting up, all that I get is Block #0, nothing happens. I also set a static IP. I have already opened a ticket with NetGear the same week I purchased this router which was exactly 3 weeks ago because I configured and then rebooted via the mobile app and when I did, I lost everything in my config. Support did not provide me with much information other than this is something that is common with this router and hopefully a firmware update will soon resolve the issue. 

Message 23 of 56
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Can you provide a screenshot of the error when using TFTP please?

I've only heard of settings being lost when you unplug the router from power suddenly but not from the app. Try rebooting using the DumaOS next time and see if it works
Message 24 of 56
patrickbedgood
Apprentice

Yes and specifically when you enable "Anywhere Access". There could be a situation when you are away from your home and you need to access the router and reboot it. If I reboot this new router outside of my home or even connected locally inside my home, the router loses its configuration completely. I am interested in learning how to apply the firmware update via TFTP. Did you see my error message I reported when following these steps?

1.) Unplug all network connectons from router except for dedicated static IP to PC or laptop

2.) Power off router, wait 10 seconds. 

3.) Power router back on, when you see the orange light and flashing, execute PUT button on TFTP client

Message 25 of 56
Discussion stats
  • 55 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7