× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR1000 not able to keep IPv6 Address

Driver8666
Tutor

XR1000 not able to keep IPv6 Address

Hey guys:

My XR1000 router will not hold an IPv6 address. If you restart it, it is able to grab one off my XB6 modem (Rogers in Canada). The XB6 does show that IPv6 is enabled in Bridge Mode, so that's ruled out. However on the XR1000, it takes about 25 minutes for it to lose the address and revert back to IPv4. Rogers uses DHCP, so that's what's on.

I do have an EAX20 Extender, but that's ruled out.

I'm using Firmware version 1.0.0.58. I know this is not a NetDuma issue, but this would definitely be a Netgear issue. And if you ask me, it's something that definitely needs to be fixed.

Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: XR1000 not able to keep IPv6 Address

Have you tried the XB6 in router mode and putting the XR1000's ip address into its dmz? 

It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a modem/router combo device not function properly in bridge mode. 

Message 2 of 12
Driver8666
Tutor

You can't do this. From what I read, it blocks all IPv4 addresses. Only allows IPv6. That's not an option.

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

Did you try it? 

and if its doing that (which it shouldn't), why do you think its functioning properly in bridge mode? 

Message 4 of 12
Driver8666
Tutor

Let's see what happens. I can't turn the WiFi off, but I can put the XB6 back into Bridge mode.

Message 5 of 12
Driver8666
Tutor

Let's see what happens. I did manage to turn off the WiFi on the XB6. The Router is in the DMZ.

Message 6 of 12
Driver8666
Tutor

Okay here's what I found:

WiFI on the XB6 turned off, and Bridge Mode not enabled:

IPv6 addresses can be obtained, but with the router in Pass Through mode. It kneecaps your speed, so it's probably not going to be worth it. However it does mantain an IPv6 connection. In DHCP mode, the router cannot obtain an IPv6 address. So the router has to be taken out of the DMZ.

With the XB6 in Bridge Mode, the rotuer can obtain an IPv6 address, the issue here is that the XR1000 keeps dropping it.

Also it just wiped out all my devices and the WiFi Network, I'm restoring the configurations from a backup file.

Based on this, I can confirm it will be a Netgear issue.

Message 7 of 12
Driver8666
Tutor

Here's what I also found out while all of that was going on. This will serve as a warning to anyone else. 

After that debacle and not accessing NetDuma OS (this is not NetDuma's fault so I will say that right away), I put the router back in Bridge Mode. Factory reset the router, and thanks to Netgear's silly setup, had to set the router up on my iPad, since it will not allow you to do so. This took double the amount of time to do. After getting the router back to the way it was, it was able to pull an IPv6 address from the modem. Here's where the problem is, and if Netgear reads this, a serious manufacturing flaw. Since I had to pull an overnight shift at work, when I went to bed, using my Series X, there was an IPv4 and IPv6 address. When I woke up to check, the Series X, it had bounced back to an IPv4 address. Unrelated, I did get the reset to fix the Geolocation and the Ping Map on NetDuma, but this doesn't concern them. Checking the routers settings under IPv6, the router can pull an IPv6 address from the modem, without an issue. The problem is getting devices connected to the router to obtain an IPv6 address. Pass Through does work for IPv6, as stated earlier, but you get kneecapped speeds, so, that will not be an option. Also, as you suggested putting the router in the DMZ, is also not an option. We should not even have to do this to get IPv6 addresses. 

If this cannot be fixed by software updates, Netgear should be ready to issue a recall. By now, they have to be acutely aware of this. If other routers in the XR line can pass both 4 and 6 addresses, and not this one. the problem lies right with the router. That's why I said "Based on this, it will be a Netgear issue". 

Message 8 of 12
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

Apologies for the delayed response on this thread, thanks for posting all this information, that's really helpful.

This is certainly something that can be fixed through firmware updates, Netgear are well aware of issues pertaining to IPv6 on the XR1000 and did include some fixes for it in the latest firmware update. We are also working with them to ensure new firmware is pushed regularly so it shouldn't be too long before this problem is fixed. Thanks for you patience nonetheless!

Message 9 of 12
Driver8666
Tutor

@Netduma-Liam wrote:

Apologies for the delayed response on this thread, thanks for posting all this information, that's really helpful.

This is certainly something that can be fixed through firmware updates, Netgear are well aware of issues pertaining to IPv6 on the XR1000 and did include some fixes for it in the latest firmware update. We are also working with them to ensure new firmware is pushed regularly so it shouldn't be too long before this problem is fixed. Thanks for you patience nonetheless!

It's very unnerving to see that the router can pull an IPv6 address from the modem, but can't seem to assign any IPv6 address to any device that's capable of it. I've used an R7000, R8000 and an EX7000 and never had this issue. The issue here is if they can release that firmware, because this is a widespread issue. Because they have ignored the issue, I would say it's a hardware issue. They don't mention it in the firmware notes. If they included firmware fixes for it, not to be rude, it's apparent that someone didn't drink enough coffee. If it's not mentioned in the notes, and lumped in under "Performance Improvements" or anything similiar, it's safe to say, this wasn't done.

2021-10-12.png

As mentioned before, I did put the router into the modem's DMZ, and when I took it out and put the modem back in bridge mode, that's when I had to factory reset my router because it would not allow me to access DumaOS.

The 5GHz channel is great, don't get me wrong, but the 2.4GHz channel is another story unto itself, which I'll probably have to exchange the router (loves to disconnect). I only save the 2.4 channel for major issues, when the 5GHz channel seems to hit the toilet.

Here's what I'm talking about for those that have viewed this. Grabs it off the modem, unable to assign it to any IPv6 compatible device. If you restart the router, it is able to assign IPv6 addresses, but then later on, it manages to lose them and got back to IPv4.

Message 10 of 12
Driver8666
Tutor

And here you go.And here you go.

Message 11 of 12
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I see you have IP Address Assignment set to Auto Config, does changing to DHCP server make any difference?
Message 12 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7