× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR1000 slow ethernet speed

XR1000 slow ethernet speed

I recently “donated” my XR500 to my son (different household) and bought myself the XR1000. I have tried everything I have seen mentioned in other threads in here- even the Netgear speed guide, and everything I can think of… yet I am unable to get this thing dialed in to the speeds my XR500 was putting out- either wired or wireless.
I have COX Gigablast (non fiber), a CM1000 modem, and all CAT8 cables. With the XR500 I was getting 800’s and 900’s down and 34 up wired, and 600’s down/ 34up on 5G. The XR1000 is only getting 200’s and 300’s down wired and 400’s and 500’s on 5G- both LAN & wifi upload are solid 34. The XR1000 came with firmware version 1.0.0.52 loaded and the install said it was up to date. I currently have QoS disabled, which only gained me about 30-40 Mbps extra on the download. Straight to the modem I get just shy of 900 down and 34 up, and my benchmark test through Duma showed 917 down and 35 up. I really want to love this router, but at this point I’m kicking myself for being a nice guy… my son couldn’t be happier though, lol.
On a side note, when I first installed the XR1000 it was getting super slow speeds, and any adjustments I made seemed to make things worse. I would change the settings back, and the speeds would still remain low and not go back up either. Then the router reverted, all on its own, to the factory SSID and password as well- despite my chosen ones still showing in Duma. Shortly after that my network went unsecured! I factory reset it and did a fresh install, which fixed all of that, and got my speeds to where they are currently, but it did change my SSID/password once again, and then 3 days later mysteriously started broadcasting mine again and has remained that way since. Is it possible I just got a lemon? Should I return it to Amazon while I still can and try another one? Is there an older firmware anyone recommends? I almost want to just get another XR500 and save myself a hundred bucks- but I am getting better range with the WiFi 6. Sorry for being long winded, but I wanted to give as much info as possible. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

So you should be able to turn this off using the Nighthawk App on your phone in the settings, then reboot from the app, wait 2 minutes before accessing and see if the speeds are improved

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 15

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

There is actually a newer firmware just released than the one you're on - .58, I'd recommend you do the check again to upgrade to that, once completed do a factory reset from the interface. Then see where you're at with the speeds and we can go from there
Message 2 of 15

Thank you, I will try that and let you know the results
Message 3 of 15

Ok, so I finally got time to mess with it. When I checked my netgear app and Duma, both confirm I am running the .58 firmware.
I ran some more speed tests with and without QoS enabled and also with trying to disable a few settings like goodput and work at home, but those made little little to no difference. With QoS enabled I now get much lower numbers than I was before. I also had congestion control set to never, and no bandwidth allocations set.
Qos off: LAN: 219/33.8
5G: 341/34.2
QoS on: LAN: 94.4/33.7
5G: 69.9/32.8
Message 4 of 15
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

If you run a Connection Benchmark on the XR1000 GUI, could you please post a screenshot of the results? This may give some indication as to whether the XR1000 is seeing full speeds from the modem.

Another thing you could try to help us narrow down the problem would be to put the XR1000 into AP mode, then connect to it via ethernet and re-test your speeds.

Message 5 of 15

This is my benchmark result. I put the router into AP mode and my ethernet result was 559.5 down and 33.6 up
Message 6 of 15

Also, as I went to log into the GUI my router dropped internet, so I rebooted it via the rear power switch. As it was coming back online I noticed my ethernet was back online before my wireless, so I went ahead and ran a Speedtest and the result was 815 down and 34 up. But once the router started broadcasting wifi I ran the test again and my ethernet download speed dropped down to 175
Message 7 of 15
Netduma-Liam
NetDuma Partner

That's interesting, is this reproduceable by disabling the Wi-Fi radio in the settings? After doing this, re-test your speeds, that will tell us if it's definitely Wi-Fi causing the problem.

Message 8 of 15

Ok, well so far I have not been able to reproduce that result. But, I have also still been running the XR1000 in AP mode because that seems to deliver my best throughput so far. When I got that result the XR1000 was the only router I had running. In AP mode with my old Nighthawk R7000 as the main router, I’ve been getting 500’s and the occasional low 600’s both wired and wireless. However, now this morning I just noticed that the speedtest on my iphone is showing 15-20% packet loss. I went on my laptop and did command ping, and both routers shows 0% packet loss wirelessly to the laptop. If I turn off broadcasting on the XR1000, I no longer get packet loss on my phone… but my wifi speed is cut in half- which I’m guessing is because of the limitation of the R7000. Unfortunately I haven’t had as much time as I would like to work on this lately, but I do have this weekend free to dedicate to trying to figure this out. That being said, I also only have 10 days left to be able to exchange this router through Amazon
Message 9 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the information, are you using Armor by any chance?
Message 10 of 15

Yes, I am using Armor. I didn't know if that could be turned off or not
Message 11 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

So you should be able to turn this off using the Nighthawk App on your phone in the settings, then reboot from the app, wait 2 minutes before accessing and see if the speeds are improved
Message 12 of 15

Ok, thanks, I’ll give that a try
Message 13 of 15

Thank you so, so much! That seems to have done the trick! After turning off Armor and rebooting, my first test was 901 down, and then 3 consecutive in the mid 800’s. My wifi is still in the 500’s as well. I really appreciate the help!
Message 14 of 15
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Ahh that's fantastic to hear! You're very welcome, glad its all sorted!
Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7