× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR1000

Sledhead
Aspirant

XR1000

Would this router help me for gaming if I have a nighthawk modem/router being used now and then add this gaming router? Will it be pointless or help?
Message 1 of 8
microchip8
Master

You need to set your modem/router (gateway) in bridge mode or else you'll end in a double NAT situation and your X1000 will make no difference

Message 2 of 8
plemans
Guru

There's been some debate on the benefits of gaming routers. 

https://www.howtogeek.com/370605/do-you-really-need-a-gaming-router/

Have you already optimized your setup? That's where I'd start. make sure your gaming device is hardwired in. 

Also, are you that good of a gamer that a little lower ping will help? If you're a casual gamer, a little lower ping might not be worth the cost. If you're a dedicated gamer who's dropped a bunch of money on equipment/gear, then it might be that extra edge you need. 

Or if you're already needing to buy a router, then a little extra might be worth it. 

Message 3 of 8
Razor512
Prodigy

If the gateway device can be set to a transparent bridge mode, then the XR1000 can potentially provide a benefit.

The main thing that determines if a gaming router will be of benefit to you, depends on your connection throughput, as well as what other activities go on while you are doing multiplayer gaming.

For example, you doing something like streaming a lot of video while gaming, or downloading multiple large files, or are running some cloud backup software, or do things like sync your local NAS with a remote one as a form of offsite backup, or really anything that will cause WAN saturation, then a gaming router will help.

If you rarely have other activity going on your network while you game, them from a latency standpoint, a gaming router will not help much unless you are running a game that has really poor matchmaking where it will pair you with people far from you where ping times with other players will be horrible.

In those cases, the XR1000 is useful.

I currently use it, and it offers a noticeable benefit in maintaining performance for gaming, as well as streaming. For example, making sure youtube gets enough bandwidth while I am downloading a large file.

Overall, it all comes down to having well implemented QOS where you can dynamically slow traffic that is more friendly to handling a slowdown. e.g., if streaming a 4K youtube video, then a drop from around 12Mbps to 10Mbps will mean lots of freezing and buffering, while having steam download Ark survival evolved download slightly slower while you are watching a youtube video, will not be much of a noticeable issue.

Message 4 of 8
Sledhead
Aspirant

I have a modem one because the internet provider uses cable to being internet in so I have bad latency and lag with it right now and was wondering if I added this router to it and gamed off of Xr1000 it would get rid of lag and bad latency
Message 5 of 8
Sledhead
Aspirant

Yes I’m hardwired and I can’t stand lag and bad latency which I’m trying to fix and I have upgraded internet and doesn’t seem to help
Message 6 of 8
plemans
Guru

Cable (coax) doesn't tend to have bad latency. 

Who's your isp? 

What modem/gateway are you using? 

What testing latency do you get? 

What speeds (upload/download) do you pay for? 

What speeds do you get hardwired into the MODEM?

What speeds hardwired into the router? 

And what router do you have?

Message 7 of 8
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The router would be able to solve two major causes of lag:
Distance to game servers & local congestion. So in that way it can optimize your connection as much as possible. If you have inherent issues with the ISP then the router couldn't help with that. It might help make it more bearable but that issue would still be there.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7