× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR300 Awful wifi signal

akale90
Aspirant

XR300 Awful wifi signal

Hello,

Just bought an XR300 router as the wifi signal from my current one is shocking, so have turned that into a modem (my ISP's kit) and setup the xr300 - it did cause me alot of issues to setup, but once i did it was perfect. However, the second I leave the room and go to any other part of the house (anywhere downstairs, and any room upstairs as well) the signal drops completely, on both 2.4 and 5ghz networks. I have changed wifi channels, disabled the 5ghz network to see if that made any difference and nothing. I am losing my hair over this as I spent alot of money so we would have guaranteed wifi in every room, plus not much time to play around with it as I'm working odd hours. Any advice why this is? Is it a dodgy router? Or is the wifi strength/signal not brilliant on this router?

Thank you
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: XR300 Awful wifi signal

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

What building materials is the home made of? 

Where in the home is the router place? Main floor centrally is recommended. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM.

Is Smart Connect enabled? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 7
akale90
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

Couldnt tell you the size of the house as I have just moved in there, and made of bricks.

Its placed in the lounge currently due to where the modem is and I have manually set channels after scanning the nearby neighbours channels. Both 2.4 and 5ghz are using unused channels.

I dont believe there is a smart connect option for this model (could be wrong) and beamforming is enabled.

My ISP is Virgin Media in the UK with a Superhub 3 - I did check first and people are using the XR300 with this model and all okay.

I just fail to see how the wifi range on this model can actually be worse than what there was before!!
Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

"I have just moved in there, and made of bricks." This maybe one reason why the wifi isn't traveling well in the home. Brick and mortor or concrete and rebar will cause wife signal propagation to not go a far. You may need an additional wifi extender to help with this. Maybe two depending upon size of the home. Size of the home is important. Larger the size will need an additional extender. 

Message 4 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm also in the UK on Virgin Media with the same hub, I'm in a top floor flat of a Victorian house and I experience this issue as well. It's due to how it's built. The WiFi signal is seriously impacted by the walls. I've used a power line adapter to basically place my XR500 into the middle of the home as much as I could (which misses out a lot of walls) to rectify this. You could try this and also the WiFi extender.
Message 5 of 7
kwacha22
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 I'm trying to find which booster to go along with the XR300. I have it in my place of business with my apartment above, would like to be able to just have one internet bill rather than having to set up another router upstairs for me to use my laptop/cell phone. Any suggestions or ideas?

Message 6 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Any powerline adapter/booster/extender should work just fine with the router.
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7