× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR300 - MAC Whitelist

arnostko
Aspirant

XR300 - MAC Whitelist

Hello,

a while ago I bought the EX7300 and was surprised to learn that it does not support a MAC address whitelist for the wireless devices. Instead a whitelist should be configured on the router itself. As the WNDR3700 I used at that time only filtered wirelessly connected devices using the mac filter, this opened a potential security leak. I asked here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/EX7300-and-quot-positive-quot-MAC-ad...

So now I bought the XR300 and again can't find any way to allow access only for defined MAC addresses. Sure, I can block already connected devices, but what kind of security concept is this? First allowing a device to connect to the network and then be able to block it? Or am I missing something here?

Model: XR300|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 4
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

The XR300 doesn't support a whitelist feature unfortunately.

Message 2 of 4
arnostko
Aspirant

That is just "fantastic'! Why is it called a "PRO" Gaming Router then?

Nevermind, I never would have thought, that such an essential security feature will be ommited ever by a router in the 3rd millenium. I guess it is my fault for not doing the research and relying solely on the Netgear brand.

Model: XR300|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 3 of 4
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Because the features focus on what will help your gaming. MAC Whitelist won't affect that. I would assume that if you created a strong WiFi password then you wouldn't have devices potentially connecting that you don't recognise. This will be up to Netgear if they want to include it again.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7