× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR300 Nighthawk throttling speeds

XR300 Nighthawk throttling speeds

Hello, the past few months I have been having issues with my Nighthawk xr300. Seemingly at random my wifi and ethernet connection speeds will drop from 350mbps to 70-100mbps. Last time I was able to resolve this issue by switching from the first ethernet port on the back of my router to the forth. I have tried searching the internet for answers and have tried a lot of the recommended solutions but none seem to work for my current situation. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

Things already tried:

- Rebooting router and ISP modem both through software and hard reset

- Updating firmware of Nighthawk xr300

- Factory reset of Nighthawk xr300

- Isolating router as issue (Direct connect to ISP modem gives normal speeds of 350mbps)

- Try all four ports on back of Nighthawk xr300

Firmware: 1.0.3.78_10.3.59

Note: Nighthawk XR300 wouldn't show up for associated products

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Generally when it throttles it's due to your QoS settings, could you attach a screenshot of your QoS page please?
Message 2 of 9

Here you go, I had the QoS settings on default. But just tried disabling them, no difference so far.

Message 3 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's still throttling with QoS completely disabled? What is the model of the modem/router the XR is connected to? Are ALL devices connected to the XR?
Message 4 of 9

The XR300 is connected to my ISP modem Model: TM1602A. My computer is connected through ethernet to the XR300, and both my ethernet connection and wifi running off the XR300 seems to be throttled to 100mbps. If I directly connect my PC to the ISP modem there are no issues.

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? A complete pull of the power adapters for a period of time after the factory reset then walk thru the setup wizard and setup from scratch with a wired PC and web browser. Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.
https://kb.netgear.com/24089/How-do-I-specify-the-pool-of-IP-addresses-assigned-by-my-Nighthawk-rout...

Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 6 of 9

Thank you, seems like doing everything at once worked. My speeds are back to normal, the only issue is I seem to have developed another problem. When I access sites for the first time I get "This site can't be reached... DNS address could not be found. Diagnosing the problem... DNS_PROBE_POSSIBLE" Read online that this could be due to the router as well. The website loads fine if I reload the page, just wanted to know if this was an issue worth fixing or not. Thanks again.

Message 7 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Try changing the DNS on the router itself, perhaps to 1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1 and see if that resolves it
Message 8 of 9

That seems to have fixed it, thank you so much again.

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7