× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR450 Port Forwarding not working

trav9996
Tutor

XR450 Port Forwarding not working

Hoping someone can help because I'm at my wits end trying to get my home security system working with the Nighthawk XR450.  I have an Amcrest 8 camera DVR system setup that has worked just fine with port forwarding on 2 previous routers, connected directly to the router via LAN cable.  For some reason I can't get the XR450 to transmit the video signal to the Amcrest app on my phone when I'm not connected to wifi.  To be clear, it works fine when connected to the wifi inside the house.  App on the phone works fine at home.  But as soon as I leave home and am off wifi and using mobile data connection, I can no longer see the video feed, although I can login to the DVR and see the router settings and can change them.  So it's for sure connecting, it just doesn't want to transmit the video outbound.  Reading some other articles with other routers, and it seems it may be a firewall setting.  I came across a suggestion to look at the WAN settings. Have tried playing around with DMZ, NAT filtering, enabling internet pings.  None of this seems to work.  Has anyone had any similar issues getting their security system to work with the XR450?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR450 Port Forwarding not working

It is a modem so should be no issues but I've just seen that it does have QoS on it so could you disable that please and then reboot the XR and see if it works.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

How is the router setup with your modem/router to get an Open NAT exactly?
Message 2 of 9
trav9996
Tutor

Within the XR450 Duma OS, I click on Settings, then WAN Setup, then NAT Filtering set to Open.  Again that was just a guess based on some other threads for other routers.  It is still not allowing the video signal through to the app on my phone unless I am connected to the local wifi network for the router that the DVR for the security system is connected to.

Message 3 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

What is the XR450 connected to? - What is it getting internet from - is it a pure modem or does it have WiFi as well?
Message 4 of 9
trav9996
Tutor

It is connected to a Netgear CM500 modem.  I would have thought they would work well together, but obviously I'm missing something.  Reading now that they may not be bridged properly for NAT?  But I do have an older, slower router that works just fine with the CM500. No issues getting port forwarding to work.  Not sure what's the deal with the CM500 / XR450 combo.

Message 5 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It is a modem so should be no issues but I've just seen that it does have QoS on it so could you disable that please and then reboot the XR and see if it works.
Message 6 of 9
trav9996
Tutor

Wow, that seems to have fixed it.  But what does QoS do?  Seems like something to help with online gaming?  As long as it doesn't create a security vulnerability, or mess up streaming with Netflix (I don't play online games very much) then maybe it's better off being disabled?

Message 7 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Great to hear that! QoS helps manage the internet traffic but as the XR has it (and a much better version in my biased opinion) you don't need it enabled on the modem.
Message 8 of 9
trav9996
Tutor

Good to know, and thanks for your help!
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7