× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR450 not giving full speeds on 2.4GHZ band

FURRYe38
Guru

Fraser, Thank you, I'll get this loaded this evening and get some testing going. 

Thank you for your time.

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
Hi Furry, I have PM'd you the XR450 version. Thank you for your patience.

Message 51 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Hi @Netduma-Fraser I loaded the beta FW yesterday and did some speed testing. Nothing has changed. Tried same devices and even added a new Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 to the mix. Seeing same 80-100Mb on 2.4Ghz. 130Mb on Mac Mini 2012. Nothing over that. I set SC and 5Ghz to disabled for just testing 2.4Ghz only. 

Only method I did not do was to factory reset the router and setup from scratch. Unsure if this would help or not. Something I couldn't do last nite and others needed internet services. I'll try to do this this weekend. 

Could this be a Wifi Driver or HW issue or something between the FW and the devices I'm testing with? 

@DarrenM

@Christian_R

@ChristineT

Message 52 of 61
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Could you try the factory reset - if for nothing else than to see the result from the auto speedtest the Startup Wizard performs. What website are you testing speeds with by the way, Speedtest.net?
Message 53 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes will do a full reset this weekend. This week if I can fit it in. 

Yes speedtest.net. Also trying different servers as well around my city. Simiar results. 

I'm also checking connection rates between the router and iPhone using WiFi Sweet Spots app. Connection rate reported 235 to 245Mb. Kind of fluxuated mildy towards 150Mb on 1st test then seem to be stable around 225Mb. Phone was about 10-12 feet from router. A wifi analyzer on the Tab only reported 144Mb. I presume maybe thats a max connection rate for the S2. I'll look into finding out what it's max rates are as I'm new to this device.

Thank you. 

Message 54 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Just wanted to update. I have done a full factory reset, disabled smart connect and just used default settings for everything else. I'm still not getting much over 100Mb on 2.4Ghz. I submitted a support ticked and was contacted by NG today. They are sending out another router for me to test. I'll report my findings. Hoping the replacement router will have better results. Smiley Embarassed

@Netduma_Jack wrote:
Could you try the factory reset - if for nothing else than to see the result from the auto speedtest the Startup Wizard performs. What website are you testing speeds with by the way, Speedtest.net?

Message 55 of 61
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi mate - hope the new router works better. Just one thing, you said 'I'm still not getting much over 100Mb on 2.4Ghz' - I imagine you already know this, but 70mbps - 90mbps is usually the max you can get on 2.4GHz (n protocol). 

Message 56 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

I would probably agree, however using some other NG router and wifi HW, I'm getting over 100Mb on 2.4Ghz:

This test is a R7800 in wireless bridge mode connected to a CBR40 tied to 2.4Ghz.

I do understand about theoreticals and such. I am wondering though what IS the official download bandwidth that we should be seeing ON XR series routers for 2.4Ghz. I'll post this question to NG support to see if they can get any info. Would be nice to know what we all should be seeing on 2.4Ghz as far as expectations go. 

Message 57 of 61
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Best to ask them as I'm not so clued up WiFi as they are (or probably you are in fact!). I didn't know 2.4GHz could reach speeds of over 100mbps, learn something new everyday...

Message 58 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, got a RMA unit in last week. Did some testing over the weekend. Seeing similar issues. Mostly with Apple devices. And a D-Link DWA-192. Still not getting much over 100Mb. I connected a Mac Mini and using it's built in WiFi, I'm seeing 150-200Mb. I connected a R7800 in wireless bridge mode and connected my Mac Mini wired to the R7800. I'm seeing speeds from 300Mb to 400Mb. I presume there maybe some wifi driver issues between some devices and the XR450. From what I'm seeing, I believe the 450 is capable of handling speed over 100mb on 2.4Ghz however depending upon device, wifi configuration, MIMO and 20/40 Coexistence settings, all of this seems to play a part in what speeds will be seen. I saw some changes with 40Mhz only set. Didn't seem to do much for the iPhone or DWA-192 adapter. 

All this has been sent to NG support. I just  wanted to update this thread. 

Message 59 of 61
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the update!

Message 60 of 61
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, got final word on wifi on the XR450 and 2.4Ghz:

" Just got an update from our engineering team. According to them, the 2 products does not have the same ability in 2.4G. The R7800 2.4G is 800Mbps @2.4GHz—256QAM while the XR450 2.4G is 600Mbps @2.4GHz-64QAM. From the debug logs, the D-link DWA-192 is a 3x3 client so its maximum 11n HT20 link rate with Netgear XR450 is 216 Mbps (3x3, HT20, 64-QAM). Its maximum 11N HT20 link rate with Netgear R7800 is 288 Mbps (3x3, HT20, 256-QAM). So 2.4G at R7800 should be better than XR450. And Apple iPhone 6S Plus is a 2x2 client. Its maximum 11N HT20 link rate with Netgear XR450 is 144 Mbps (2x2, HT20, 64-QAM). The 96Mbps is and expected result."

So even though the 2.4Ghz wifi on the 450 works, It's working as expected with some devices. And for 2.4Ghz, were not expecting F1 racings speeds anyways. Thats kept to 5Ghz and should be. Overall, the 2.4Ghz wifi is what it is and does it's job for the XR450.

This case is closed. 

Message 61 of 61
Discussion stats
  • 60 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7