× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

XR500 5ghz Connection Problem

G4Captain
Star

XR500 5ghz Connection Problem

I have a brand new MSI GE66 with the Killer AX1650i. It connects to the 2.4ghz band no problem. It sees the 5ghz band, attempts to connect, but says it is unable to connect to that network. I have both the latest firmware available for the XR500, and the latest drivers available from Killer that were installed yesterday.

I have disabled smartconnect in DumaOS so I can pick which band it connects to. I have connected the GE66 to 5ghz band on a different router, so I don't think the problem is with the laptop. 

Anyone have any suggestions on what to try? I've been emailng with Killer support, and I think they are about out of ideas to try.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Re: XR500 5ghz Connection Problem

When you try to connect to 5GHz does it connect with no internet or completely refuse to connect to the WiFi? Do you have any manual settings setup for the WiFi adapter?
Message 2 of 6
G4Captain
Star

It attempts to connect and then says it is unable to connect to that network. The only settings I changed were the names of the networks.

Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If you factory reset the router, leaving the WiFi names default but disabling Smart Connect does it allow you to connect then? Don't change anything else before you try.
Message 4 of 6
G4Captain
Star

I think I figured out the issue that was preventing it from connecting. The MU-MIMO setting was turned off. When I turned that back on, it connects now no problem. I don't know why it wouldn't connect with that off, but it seems to be fixed now.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Well done for figuring it out, glad to hear it is working now. Thanks for updating us!
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7