× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 - At least once a day I get disconnected. I've tried everything.

Mistform
Tutor

XR500 - At least once a day I get disconnected. I've tried everything.

XR500

V2.3.2.104-DumaOS3.0-Beta          <--- Tried this because I've tried everything else.

Windows 10

Wired to PC

Spectrum Internet

So a few weeks back I started to do more gaming on my PC and I started to notice I would lose connection around the exact same time every night. Some nights it would happen more randomly and multiple times. I've called Spectrum and they had someone check my internet, everything was fine on that end. When it happens my network drops on my PC and renews the connection. I've tried multiple firmware versions at this point with no luck. I also read various posts on the forums and it does sound similar to people having those DHCP issues, but I am unsure on what to do next.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Are you using a Spectrum router or pure modem? Are any devices connected to the Spectrum device or is everything connected to the XR?
Message 2 of 29
Mistform
Tutor

My spectrum has the modem and router as individual devices. I replaced their router with the XR500 due to the wifi strength. The only thing I have wired to the XR500 is my PC and my HUE Bridge. Everything is connected to wifi on the XR500. The spectrum modem is solely plugged into the XR500.

Message 3 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Could you ask Spectrum how long the lease is? - I expect it is once every 24 hours or so, could you ask them to extend it to a week and see if that resolves it please?
Message 4 of 29
Mistform
Tutor

I will contact them today with that. Once they do, ill reply with any updated results.

Message 5 of 29
Mistform
Tutor

So I just wanted to post an update (not sure if a verified fix thus far), but as of last Sunday (10-18-2020) I have yet to recieve a single disconnect like I had prior. The solution was to completely disable the IPv6 internet option on the router. I also noticed a small gain in latency during gaming as well. So I'm unsure if the IPv6 settings has issues or what, but I've had a stable connection for almost 6 days straight.

Message 6 of 29
mr_taint
Aspirant

I'm in the same boat, on the same firmware.

Router just spontaneously rebooting...first it was once in awhile, then once a day, then multiple times a day.

What's worse is the logs are wiped on every reboot...is there a way to get the logs to persist, or dump somewhere? 

I updated to the v3 beta -- same build as stated in OP -- a few days ago after trying downgrade/factory reset, and then downgrade/factory reset/upgrade after the first try failed, and hadn't had a reboot (to my knowledge) since I did...until just now.

Super frustrating, and I am completely puzzled as to why the logs would wipe...defeats the purpose of a log, and the alternative being daily emailed logs is not very useful for my situation.  Only other notable thing is my logs have lots of lines like this:

[DumaOS] Error parsing line in ARP table: 'fe80::1efe:........

I have IPv6 disabled in advanced settings.

Only difference I have hardware-wise is I'm on WOW! and a Netgear CM100

Message 7 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Is it plugged directly into a wall outlet or to a power extender? If a power extender it can sometimes not get the required power and that could cause a reboot.
Message 8 of 29
mr_taint
Aspirant

It was previously plugged into a UPS, via a short (1ft) power extender.  Before I tried downgrading a factory resetting, I switched to plugging it straight into a surge protector (not connected to the UPS)

Also, it was plugged into that power extender and UPS combo for a good 6 months before I experienced any of these problems FWIW.

I mean first things first -- is there really no way to get the logs to persist or dump?  I'm sure there's a lot to be learned about what's going on there.

Thanks for the reply and suggestion though.  Unfortunately that would not seem to be the source of my problem though.

Message 9 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No there isn't a way to have it persist through a reboot. I would suggest trying it directly connected to a wall outlet just in case as I've seen it be resolved by things like that in the past.
Message 10 of 29
Xcel
Apprentice

I have the same problem. Have had the this router for over a year and it has got progressively worse to where I lose internet connectivity on devices once a day. I thought maybe I bought a lemon so I purchaced a brand new XR500 and less than 24hrs later I lose internet while watching YouTube. It is plugged directly into the wall BTW

edit: I am connected directly to the fiber ONT, no modem. I pulled out my Linksys EA9500 and ran it for a week with 0 reboots, 0 loss of connection. 

Message 11 of 29
Xcel
Apprentice

I would send a log but the router is unresponsive and needs to be rebooted to access. This has been happening on the two latest released firmware and the Beta

Message 12 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The only thing I could suggest at this stage would be to make sure you're plugged directly into a wall outlet. Upgrade to the beta using TFTP (this will bypass any issues in the boot process) then do a factory reset and it's the freshest possible install then.
Message 13 of 29
mr_taint
Aspirant

I appreciate that none of this is your fault, but to suggest that the outlet and way it was plugged in for 6 months without issue is the problem is pretty ridiculous -- especially when your suggestion is to bypass even a surge protector? 

I've deployed surely over 1000 routers in my life, and every single one has been plugged into a surge protector or UPS.  Pretty sad that I'm going to have to go back to my R7000 because this this $300 router can't even preserve logs.

I've submitted a ticket, but I'm not exactly optimistic given your guys' fixation on blaming the power ingress method...

Message 14 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Not a fixation, a suggestion based on my years on technical support with these routers. If it's not mentioned that it's been tried and it could help then I will suggest it. I've asked the NG team lead for an update on the fix today.
Message 15 of 29
mr_taint
Aspirant

Hey look, like I said, I know this is very much not your fault, and I don't doubt your expertise, but even in the event that you're correct, the notion that a device could be so sensitive to power delivery so as to be to be plugged straight into a wall outlet is ridiculous on a number of levels. First of all it shows a real lack of electrical understanding, and second, if they really are that sensitive, 1) they're probably releasing the magic smoke the first time the power goes out, and 2) are engineered for s.....well let's just say not engineered well.

I realize you're on the ND side of the equation, and are probably not thrilled at the quality of this steaming turd and having to deal with less than happy people all day when they have apparently failed to give you live rounds and instead only a "POW!" flag and suggestions about plugging straight into the wall to work with.

I am currently downgraded to .32 and am having to factory reset because although everything came up fine, almost none of the r-apps will load because...well because great programming I guess.

Again, I appreciate that you're trying to help -- but this is quite the dumpster fire. I have been using and recommending netgear and linksys consumer grade stuff for over 20 years, but this colostomy bag of a router that I sunk $300 into is pretty damn close to getting the whole corporation black listed.

Logs that are designed to wipe on reboot is easily the most inept programming decision I've ever even heard of.

Message 16 of 29
mr_taint
Aspirant

Just an update...

downgraded to the .32 firmware, and then performed a factory reset.  No more IPv6 stuff in the logs, but now a bunch of:

[DumaOS] Ubus object 'com.netdumasoftware.devicemanager' added, attempting to bind pending, Sunday, October 25, 2020 12:46:09

The really good news is, STILL REBOOTING, still no logs, still no apparent logic behind the issue.

Most frustrated I've ever been by a consumer grade networking device in my life, and that includes the multiple days I spent troubleshooting a [brand new] POS Netgear ORBI router for my buddy that randomly worked perfectly on everything except Netflix just a few weeks ago.

I mean I submitted a ticket, but for what?  There's countless instances of people having this exact same problem, and a bunch of them saying they received a "new" router via RMA and/or even a new power supply via RMA, and are still having exactly the same problem.

This is genuinely disgraceful.

Message 17 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm working with NG on the issue, I now have a direct line with them which is different to before so I'll do my best to get it sorted. Not everyone has the issue (of course it looks that way on a support forum) so would try to push for replacement if you can.
Message 18 of 29
Xcel
Apprentice

Replacing the unit will likely do no good, as I mentioned before, I bought a brand new unit and less than 24hrs later I lose connection to all devices, cannot log into the router, must reboot by pulling the power. Sometimes a single reboot does not take care of it, a second power cycle is nessasary. The new XR500 goes back to Amazon as defective, I am willing to try again if you think it is hardware although I doubt that is it.

I have had the router crap out at roughly the same time the last week or so (approx 9:30am PST) Oddly enough this is when there is the lowest load on the internet/router. To be clear, that is not the only time it will die on me.

I would think my config settings file might help you figure out the issue but no one has asked for it.

Message 19 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've thought of something new that might help. NG show a lot of false positives for attacks in the log, they may actually be blocking packets that are required and therefore cause disconnects. Could you try disabling the DoS protection in WAN Settings please?
Message 20 of 29
Xcel
Apprentice

I had already disabled that. No joy. I just had another break down, some devices were still connected but others not connected. When I tried to log into the router I got this message after a while waiting 

Failed to fork child: Cannot allocate memory

Don't know if this is anything that might help isolate the problem 

Message 21 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for that, definitely one for the devs to fix then. I've updated our internal ticket on this.
Message 22 of 29
Xcel
Apprentice

Ok, I am almost sure that the router is running out of memory. I monitored the RAM Usage in the System Info screen. When I reboot, I start somewhere with 58% free ram and 9% Cached. As time goes on, the Cached rapidly rises to eat all almost of the free ram and shortly thereafter, the router becomes non-responsive, drops connections.......  

Message 23 of 29
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I'm in talks with the NG lead at the moment who will be talking to the developer and I'll let you know when I have more information.
Message 24 of 29
Xcel
Apprentice

My log that was emailed to me, right before the router went down:

[admin login] from source 192.168.1.2, Tuesday, October 27, 2020 22:13:39
[admin login] from source 192.168.1.2, Tuesday, October 27, 2020 22:13:32
[admin login] from source 192.168.1.2, Tuesday, October 27, 2020 22:13:32
[admin login] from source 192.168.1.2, Tuesday, October 27, 2020 22:13:26
[admin login] from source 192.168.1.2, Tuesday, October 27, 2020 22:13:26
[DumaOS] DHCP lease change., Tuesday, October 27, 2020 22:08:55
[DumaOS] DHCP new event., Tuesday, October 27, 2020 22:08:55
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.7] to MAC address 54:e0:19:00:63:6c, Tuesday, October 27, 2020 22:08:55
[DumaOS] DHCP lease change., Tuesday, October 27, 2020 22:08:53
[DumaOS] DHCP new event., Tuesday, October 27, 2020 22:08:53
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.7] to MAC address 54:e0:19:00:63:6c, Tuesday, October 27, 2020 22:08:53
[DumaOS] skipping 'com.netdumasoftware.autoadmin', Tuesday, October 27, 2020 22:07:44
[DumaOS] skipping 'com.netdumasoftware.neighwatch', Tuesday, October 27, 2020 22:07:44
[DumaOS] skipping 'com.netdumasoftware.autoadmin', Tuesday, October 27, 2020 22:07:29
[DumaOS] skipping 'com.netdumasoftware.neighwatch', Tuesday, October 27, 2020 22:07:29
[DumaOS] Some of the cleanup calls for com.netdumasoftware.geofilter failed., Tuesday, October 27, 2020 22:07:29
[DumaOS] ---- rapp end com.netdumasoftware.geofilter, #cstack 5 #res 5, flushing, Tuesday, October 27, 2020 22:07:29
[DumaOS] App 'com.netdumasoftware.geofilter' cleanup finished, Tuesday, October 27, 2020 22:07:29
[DumaOS] killing 13123, Tuesday, October 27, 2020 22:07:29
[DumaOS] ---- rapp end com.netdumasoftware.devicemanager, #cstack 0 #res 0, flushing, Tuesday, October 27, 2020 22:07:27
[DumaOS] App 'com.netdumasoftware.devicemanager' cleanup finished, Tuesday, October 27, 2020 22:07:27
[DumaOS] Some of the cleanup calls for com.netdumasoftware.qos failed., Tuesday, October 27, 2020 22:07:26
[DumaOS] com.netdumasoftware.qos cleanup error: ?:0: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value) -> stack traceback: ^I?: in funct,on <?:73> ^I?: in function '?' ^I?: in function '?' ^I?: in function '?' ^I?: in function <?:200> ^I[C]: in function 'xpcall' ^I?: in function 'try' ^I?: in function '?' ^I?: in function 'uninstall' ^I?: in function '?' ^I?: in function <?:493> ^I... ^I[C]: in function 'run' ^I?: in function <?:404> ^I[C]: in function 'xpcall' ^I?: in function 'try' ^I?: in function <?:263> ^I(tail call): ? ^I?: in function <?:30> ^I[C]: in function 'xpcall' ^I?: in main chunk ^I[C]: ? Tuesday, October 27, 2020 22:07:26
[DumaOS] com.netdumasoftware.qos cleanup error: ?:0: attempt to index field '?' (a nil value) -> stack traceback: ^I?: in funct,on <?:73> ^I?: in function '?' ^I?: in function '?' ^I?: in function '?' ^I?: in function <?:200> ^I[C]: in function 'xpcall' ^I?: in function 'try' ^I?: in function '?' ^I?: in function 'uninstall' ^I?: in function '?' ^I?: in function <?:493> ^I... ^I[C]: in function 'run' ^I?: in function <?:404> ^I[C]: in function 'xpcall' ^I?: in function 'try' ^I?: in function <?:263> ^I(tail call): ? ^I?: in function <?:30> ^I[C]: in function 'xpcall' ^I?: in main chunk ^I[C]: ? Tuesday, October 27, 2020 22:07:26

Message 25 of 29
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7