× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Automatically Factor Reset Itself Overnight

SteeleMage
Tutor

XR500 Automatically Factor Reset Itself Overnight

Last night, some time between 4am and 8am EST, my XR500 router must have factory reset itself.  Because the internet was unavailable in the morning, and attempting to login to the DumaOS admin interface, it had reverted back to the 192.168.1.1 network and address, and was now presenting the initial "setup wizard" screen!

I saw this thread with the same issue, here, which was, interestingly enough, posted almost a year ago, exactly:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR500-Factory-Reset-Itself/m-p/1533304...

Some notes about my setup:

- Automatic updates should have been OFF (I prefer to install updates myself, when I'm ready for them)

- Current Version:V2.3.2.40
- Current GUI Language Version:V1.0.0.342

I had a lot of customized settings configured in the router, so this is highly inconvenient and unexpected.  I certainly hope it doesn't re-occur, again!  Especially not frequently.

Questions this event makes me ask are:

• Is DumaOS programming having an issue with the fact that I turned OFF auto-updates when it wants to update?
  • Is there a bug that triggers this related to recent Daylight Savings Time changes, somehow?
  • Is there a security issue where these routers can be triggered to do this?  Or worse?
  • Is this caused by a bug related to ReadySHARE or USB Storage configurations?

Other than the USB/ReadyShare settings, nothing else has been modified in the router configuration in many months, and even those configs have been operating fine for a few weeks, now.

Normal reboots, I can understand, but full Factory Resets should always be a manual process, so this is quite disturbing.

Any insight or thoughts on this?

Thank you!

--Dan

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya that should not have happended. 

Had you already updated to v40 or was it still at a prior version with auto update disabled? 

I would do a factory reset and setup from scratch and once the router is fully set up, do a save configuration to file under Backup. Keep this file for future needs. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@SteeleMage wrote:

Last night, some time between 4am and 8am EST, my XR500 router must have factory reset itself.  Because the internet was unavailable in the morning, and attempting to login to the DumaOS admin interface, it had reverted back to the 192.168.1.1 network and address, and was now presenting the initial "setup wizard" screen!

I saw this thread with the same issue, here, which was, interestingly enough, posted almost a year ago, exactly:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR500-Factory-Reset-Itself/m-p/1533304...

Some notes about my setup:

- Automatic updates should have been OFF (I prefer to install updates myself, when I'm ready for them)

- Current Version:V2.3.2.40
- Current GUI Language Version:V1.0.0.342

I had a lot of customized settings configured in the router, so this is highly inconvenient and unexpected.  I certainly hope it doesn't re-occur, again!  Especially not frequently.

Questions this event makes me ask are:

• Is DumaOS programming having an issue with the fact that I turned OFF auto-updates when it wants to update?
  • Is there a bug that triggers this related to recent Daylight Savings Time changes, somehow?
  • Is there a security issue where these routers can be triggered to do this?  Or worse?
  • Is this caused by a bug related to ReadySHARE or USB Storage configurations?

Other than the USB/ReadyShare settings, nothing else has been modified in the router configuration in many months, and even those configs have been operating fine for a few weeks, now.

Normal reboots, I can understand, but full Factory Resets should always be a manual process, so this is quite disturbing.

Any insight or thoughts on this?

Thank you!

--Dan

Message 2 of 9
SteeleMage
Tutor

Hi, FURRYe38:

It's been a little while since I've manually upgraded the DumaOS, but I remember having the navigation menu on the left change after I had done so (adding/changing to read HybridVPN, which I believe is one of the chnages in the .40 release), so I'm pretty confident I was already at it.

ISP modem is:  Technicolor.  DPC3216.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I would do a factory reset and setup from scratch and once the router is fully set up, do a save configuration to file under Backup. Keep this file for future needs. 

@SteeleMage wrote:

Hi, FURRYe38:

It's been a little while since I've manually upgraded the DumaOS, but I remember having the navigation menu on the left change after I had done so (adding/changing to read HybridVPN, which I believe is one of the chnages in the .40 release), so I'm pretty confident I was already at it.

ISP modem is:  Technicolor.  DPC3216.

Message 4 of 9
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Definitely weird that this happened. Furry's advice is great.

Message 5 of 9
yootzee
Aspirant

Feel your pain SteeleMage, I had the exact same problem yesterday.  I didn't see this thread when I started my own (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR500-Factory-resets-itself-in-the-mid... I can't understand random reboots, nor the weekly bi-weekly freeze ups, where I have to power cycle the unit.  Did you have any resolution or have you had it happen again?

Message 6 of 9
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Can you make sure the router is directly plugged into a power outlet rather than an extender please as that can cause issues like this sometimes.
Message 7 of 9
SteeleMage
Tutor

Hello, @yootzee - since the "auto" reset, it has not happened again, thankfully.  I have only done minimal reconfigs so far, and am giving it a little time to see if it decides to act up, again.  Wish I could help more.  But, no solid info on this, still.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

@yootzee wrote:

Feel your pain SteeleMage, I had the exact same problem yesterday.  I didn't see this thread when I started my own (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Routers/XR500-Factory-resets-itself-in-the-mid... I can't understand random reboots, nor the weekly bi-weekly freeze ups, where I have to power cycle the unit.  Did you have any resolution or have you had it happen again?

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7