× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Automatically resets itself and no internet

Targetlockon
Aspirant

XR500 Automatically resets itself and no internet

My XR500 router resets itself and i have do the auto config of setup again in order for the internet to work. Sometimes it is a loop until i get it to work.

I did not know it was set to automatic updates by default.

I had my internet down several times. The lights on the XR500 was orange, i thought it was my modem but it was not.

I never had issues until it automatically updated to the newest firmware.

The first time i got a power loss, the XR500 resetted itself and i had to do auto config again.

It was the same when i tried to manually power cycle it to turn off. I had  to  do auto config again.

I am not sure how to troubleshoot this to fix this problem.

Is there a way to download the logs?

I have tried to restore my old settings but awhile later they still had issues.

Please help thank you.

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I don't know why upgrading would cause this to happen. Download a previous firmware from here: https://www.netgear.com/support/product/XR500.aspx then disable Auto Updates in the firmware section after downgrading. Does it continue to happen? Keep in mind you'll lose some security updates but this is just to see if it fixes it.
Message 2 of 7
Targetlockon
Aspirant

For some reason when i tried this time to reboot the router as power failure it did hold the information. The internet works and everything but whenever i need to use 192.168.1.1 to login i get the admin and password screen to reset my password. I usually press skip and it works.

Update as of today 4/18/2020 around 7-8AM PST, my XR500 router was giving no Wi-Fi internet connection. I restart my modem, checked if that was the issue (it wasn't) I plugged directly into the modem to test. I restarted my router XR500, i still have the same red light that shows my internet isn't working (all the other lights are white and normal). I tried resetting the router a few times using the reset button. After that, i tried downgrading it the previous verison "XR500 Firmware Version 2.3.2.40. I still had the same issue and used reset button that time too.

I noticed that whenever i restarted my router it takes awhile to load DumaOS (not as snappy still in circle loading) even though i waited for quite awhile.

It took me a several attempts and all this troubleshooting. The internet finally works. I have exhausted what i know to troubleshoot the router. Unless, there is something else. Please don't fail again XR500.

I had no issues until the new autoupdates?? Because my router would often restart to lose internet. (I had turned off auto firmware update after this issue.)

I am not sure why this is the case. I have spent a lot of money for quality router, but in the end i have more issues it being down than my modem internet connection.

Model / Version: XR500 Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Message 3 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you had this issue again since then? If not don't change anything and let us know if it occurs again and we can try something else.
Message 4 of 7
Targetlockon
Aspirant

Update: I forgot to add.

Whenever I try to check updates it gives me no updates. I tried updating the latest via browser and locating the file on my computer. But that also didn't work.

Message 5 of 7
Targetlockon
Aspirant

Few days ago, i had to keep restarting my router whenever the internet cut out and it fixed it.

Recently, I have been playing Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) Warzone. I have been getting huge spikes of packet loss from 0% to 30% for no apparent reason. Sometimes it stays between 1-7%. Before it was fine, i am not sure it is like this now.

I have tried reseting to factory settings in the software and i have tried pressing the button on the back of the router method also.

It gives me the auto config screen and i go through the process. Filling out the admin/password and security questions.

Whenever i finish and try to use 192.168.1.1 and connect to the router again it shows up the auto config again but with just admin/password enter then fill out a new one along with security questions like the first. I am not sure why it does that.

Sometimes it laggs and does not load the software DumaOS and has a spinning circle. I have to close the browser and try again.

I have tried updating to the newest firmware but when i tried it still said the previous i had. I've tried updating through check for new updates and tried browse my files that i downloaded for the newest update from the Netgear website.

I am extremely frustrated even more so, i lost what i just had typed previously on this situation.

I expected it to work well, without having an issues because this was an expensive product i wanted to invest in.

Please help thank you.

- My previous reply with the No firmware update screenshot was my 2nd posting update after this one ( suppose be after this one). But i lost my autosave or somehow went back to the previous page. When i tried to load back to the page by closing it because i had no choice i lost what i had typed.
*This is suppose to be the 1st update (before i lost what i had typed :[ )*

Message 6 of 7
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Please try the 3.0 beta and see if it works any better for you https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-DumaOS-3-0/bd-p/en-home-beta-npg-duma
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7