× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 - Brave Browser broken after firmware update

darkmage0707077
Initiate

XR500 - Brave Browser broken after firmware update

I just recently updated my firmware to the latest version 2.3.2.56, with no apparent issues. However, after attempting to log back in several days later, I find that the router website no longer works with the Chrome-based Brave browser: I will VERY briefly see the usual login menu appear and disappear, where it then takes me to the "cannot authenticate" page that normally appears when you supply bad passwords or cancel out of the prompt (where it requires the router S/N to continue).

I've tried everything from clearing my browser cache to restarting my machine to resetting the router to a full factory reset, and nothing works. The prompt appears fine on other browsers such as Firefox, and it WAS working fine with the previous edition.

Is it possible to roll back to the previous firmware version?

Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

so it works fine with other browsers but not your brave browser?

If brave is based on chrome, there was issues with chrome doing this same thing with a recent update to chrome.

https://kb.netgear.com/000061261/Google-Chrome-77-is-blocking-access-to-NETGEAR-login-pages-what-do-...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

so it works fine with other browsers but not your brave browser?

If brave is based on chrome, there was issues with chrome doing this same thing with a recent update to chrome.

https://kb.netgear.com/000061261/Google-Chrome-77-is-blocking-access-to-NETGEAR-login-pages-what-do-...

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you rebooted the PC or device that your broswer is installed on and tried again after the reboot? 

@darkmage0707077 wrote:

I just recently updated my firmware to the latest version 2.3.2.56, with no apparent issues. However, after attempting to log back in several days later, I find that the router website no longer works with the Chrome-based Brave browser: I will VERY briefly see the usual login menu appear and disappear, where it then takes me to the "cannot authenticate" page that normally appears when you supply bad passwords or cancel out of the prompt (where it requires the router S/N to continue).

I've tried everything from clearing my browser cache to restarting my machine to resetting the router to a full factory reset, and nothing works. The prompt appears fine on other browsers such as Firefox, and it WAS working fine with the previous edition.

Is it possible to roll back to the previous firmware version?

Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The link from plemans will likely resolve the issue. We are working on getting that fixed as well.
You are able to downgrade the firmware without issue but that's not the problem here.
Message 4 of 6
Netduma_Alex
NetDuma Partner

Yes I believe that Brave is based on Chromium, however I don't know if it has the same developer toggles that Chrome has. If you can, you need to disable http-auth-committed-interstitials

Message 5 of 6
darkmage0707077
Initiate

Ah, FINALLY have a chance to login and test, and sure enough, the info in the link about disabling the Chromium setting worked.

Thank you for your assistance, everyone! Here's hoping this gets fixed in the next version of Chrome!

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7