× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Centurylink?

JHarper0823
Aspirant

XR500 Centurylink?

I have 1Gig internet from Centurylink and am currently renting a modem through them and I can’t get the range I need in the far corner of the house. So I decided to go with this router to hopefully replace the modem and also increase my range. When I first plugged the WAN into the internet port of the router and did the router setup it showed I had internet then after getting everything set up my internet connection was lost and didn’t come back until I replugged my WAN line back into my Centurylink port and called them for tech support. Does anyone know if this will in fact work to replace my modem with them and increase my range or do you know of another better solution? Thanks!
Model: XR500|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

If I've understood correctly, you still need to keep your modem in order to have a connection through the router. Routers need either a modem or an ONT to connect to in order to receive internet. There is nothing wrong with this as the modem will just pass all the traffic straight through, just don't connect any devices to the modem and instead have them all connected to the router.
Message 2 of 6
JHarper0823
Aspirant

No I don’t necessarily have to keep the modem as I’m renting it for $10 per month and I do have an ONT for the router to connect to. So should that work because it doesn’t seem to be which is why I’m questioning whether it’s compatible or not. I reset the ONT yesterday after reconnecting the Ethernet cable back to the Centurylink modem and that’s when my internet came back on.
Message 3 of 6
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Yes it should work with the ONT, take a look at the modems internet settings if possible, there may be something like a PPPoE login that you will need to enter on the XR500 instead now in order to sustain a connection.
Message 4 of 6
JHarper0823
Aspirant

I haven’t caught a break to check the settings on the modem but now I saw this model router offered through Costco. Do you feel this would be a better option for what I’m needing? Netgear Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream AX5700 Wi-Fi 6 Router

Thanks so much for your help!
Message 5 of 6
XR700_Fan
Tutor

I have nearly the same setup. After setting up your PPPoE credentials, you will also have to add a VLAN tag.
You may have to power cycle your ONT.

Here is the solution, Happy Holidays!

Model: XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7