× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Connection Issues

nytiger73
Star

XR500 Connection Issues

Hello - 

I bought an XR500 to replace my R8000 last week.  I was tired of some of the issues I was having with the R8000.  I had tried a Linksys, but that didn't seem to work out too well.  Anyway, I am having some issues with some of my wireless devices where they will randomly drop connection and then usually they will reconnect.  There have only been a handful of times where the devices haven't reconnected.  It should be noted that the router always stays online and my connection never completely drops.  When I was running the R8000, I didn't have the issues that I am having now.  

The devices I am having issues with are my Amazon Echos (usually only one) and a couple of my Logitech LogiCircle Wireless Security Cameras.  As I said, a lot of times, these things will come back on their own, but sometimes (especially the Echo) I have to default them and do a fresh reconnect to get them back on the network.  When these things drop, I don't have any other issues with any other devices.  

I've done some research on my own.  So far, I've done reserved IP addresses for the devices that seem to be doing it the most, so far, one of the cameras dropped once today before reconnecting a few minutes later.  I've also read that disable SmartConnect can fix some of these issues.  I'd rather not do that if I don't have to as I don't like having a million wifi networks in my list of available networks (aside from the million that I already have).  Can anyone suggest some of other things I could potentially try?

One other thing I am noticing is when I leave my house and come back, my iPhone or iPad will reconnect to my wifim but will not pull a proper IP address.  It will pull a 172.16.x.x IP.  My only solution to this is to renew my lease on either device.  I believe this was also occurring on the R8000 as well.  It should also be noted that the XR500 does have the most recent firmware.

Does anyone have any thoughts on any of these issues?

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

My suggestion would be to disable smart connect unfortunately as the drops may be occurring when its automatically switching between 2.4GHz & 5GHz. It will only add an additional WiFi network.

The IP sounds like it's likely getting it from your data plan and when you connect to the WiFi it's favouring the data of WiFi. Does that sound accurate?
Message 2 of 16
XHOLLARX
Aspirant

I'm having the same issues with mine.  Additionally it drops the IP address for my hardwired devices too.  Will disabling the smart connect resovle this issue as well?

Message 3 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

That wouldnt fix the hardwired devices, I've sent you a PM hollar.
Message 4 of 16
nytiger73
Star

I now seem to be having an issue with my hardwired PC as well out of nowhere.  It just drops IP addresses out of nowhere.  Initially, I changed ports on the router and it fixed it temporarily, but a short time later it lost the IP address again.  It has been fine for days.  What can I try to fix this?  I've tried resetting my networking within Windows to no avail.

Thank you.

Message 5 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I've sent you a PM tiger
Message 6 of 16
nytiger73
Star

That firmare was a steaming pile of crap. I loaded it onto my router and no device on my entire network could get an IP or connect to the Internet.  I rebooted my modem and router multiple times to no avail. I even went so far as to do a factory reset on the router which finally got the router to see my connection, but I still couldn't get Internet access on any device, despite multiple reboots, resets forgetting networks etc

Just so I could get back online, I hooked up my old R8000 which went flawless.  The XR500 is going back to Best Buy tomorrow.  I am not sure if I will try another one or not.  I went a router that is going to work out of the box and support all of my devices without me having to jump through constant hoops to keep them working.  I understand that I may need to reboot things here and there, but I'm honestly terrified to reboot this thing.  I don't know how long I'm going to be down for.  

Any other ideas?

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 7 of 16
Halfrican-Odin
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue with drops my hard-wired connections almost every 24 hours. at first I could just pick me up the router but now every time I reboot the router it goes back to factory settings. I have this thing for 3 months and it hasn't worked right since the first week though things are total piece of **bleep**. And seeing as it's one of their top tier models I'm not impressed. Thinking it was a compatibility issue I even bought a Netgear brand new modem to make sure there were no compatibility issues it still works like dog**bleep**. I'm this close to getting rid of everything Netgear I own cuz clearly they do crap for tech support.
Message 8 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Have you created a ticket/called the technical support line since the start of your issues as I see this is your first post so wondering what you've been advised previously.

WiFi connections are fine when this drops occur is that correct? It shouldn't be factory resetting after a reboot, how are you rebooting the router and what settings have been reset specifically?

Turn off any consoles that use instant on/standby modes and see if that resolves the drop within a 24hr period please.
Message 9 of 16
Halfrican-Odin
Aspirant

Just resetting the router resets everything. All presets all names all passwords all networks it's a factory reset as previously stated I have two tickets and either one has been responded to this company sucks balls
Message 10 of 16
Halfrican-Odin
Aspirant

Besides the only fix for this faulty router is turning off gaming systems for a gaming router then this is the worst design piece of crap in history . They should rename it the everything but gaming router
Message 11 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

How are you conducting the reboot? You can send an update on the ticket or use the telephone support. What's the ticket number, I'll pass it on to the team to be escalated.

Its an issue with the standby/reset modes of the console. It happens with other routers as well and we're working with their teams to fix it on our side.
Message 12 of 16
Halfrican-Odin
Aspirant

It doesn't matter what way I conduct the reboot. I've used the phone app. I've used the computer interface. I've used the reset button. Have used the power cord. I shut my power off all the way to the house breaker and waited 10 minutes. Every single method leads the same result. Your questions are insulting to my intelligence. Get it through your thick skull it's a faulty product.
Message 13 of 16
Halfrican-Odin
Aspirant

This is one of the case numbers . None of them has been responded to. I most likely just going to return the product to Amazon and buy from a company that knows what they're doing. I've used every reset method possible I've used app. For the first month I use their app every time and it would work after the app reset. Recently in the third month of this issue. Resetting them either by the app by the power button by the reset button or by the power cord or by the house circuit breaker for 10 minutes all of resulted in the same issue, it resets to factory settings.
Message 14 of 16
Halfrican-Odin
Aspirant

I find it pathetic that you're using the excuse that standby is the cause of this matters issues. because I used netgear's base model nighthawk for years and with zero issues with all computer and gaming system in standby. So if your base model has better performance than your luxury model and your luxury models issue is a hundred percent solvable with in your own companies tech, then your company has terrible communication. Cuz the answer is on your base model. I already know your company is communication sucks cuz I have two open cases with no responses.
Message 15 of 16
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I do not work for Netgear, I work for Netduma (DumaOS) so I am not able to access your tickets first of all. The issue is not with the DumaOS part of the software. Secondly, I am not trying to insult your intelligence I am trying to help you so there is no need to be rude.

It is not a pathetic excuse, that is what the issue is, we have narrowed it down to that as a cause. Obviously we do not want people to have to disable features on there devices which is why Netgear are working with multiple teams, e.g. the Xbox team to figure out a solution.

I've passed your ticket number on to be escalated.
Message 16 of 16
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7