× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Custom VPN?

racersimage
Guide

XR500 Custom VPN?

How can I use my TorGuard VPN configuration on this router?  

I only see an option for HideMyAss. 

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 143
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

At the moment you cannot. However, we are introducing a new VPN solution in the next firmware. That should then allow you to use alternative VPN providers.
Message 2 of 143
racersimage
Guide

Well that's good news I guess. I have already setup a return through Amazon for the router because of the VPN Client limitation but if a custom option is coming, I guess I can hold off on the return. I was disappointed to see only one Client but figured that HideMyAss must have paid to be the exclusive VPN Client for this router.

Message 3 of 143
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I totally understand and will be much more powerful than the standard VPN client that is currently used. You'll be able to select the individual devices that are VPN'd rather than applying to all devices. If you're interested it will be very similar to this: https://netduma.com/features/vpn-hybrid/

It will be available in March.
Message 4 of 143
racersimage
Guide

That's even better! 

I came from an Asus RT-AC86U with Merlin FW that allowed me to specify which devices utilized the VPN which was awesome. 

I didn't think this router had the capability to do that but that was going to be ok as long as I could continue using my VPN Client that I've already subscribed to but when I couldn't see an option, I was pretty dissapointed. 

Now to find out that the next firmware will support this, and the ability to specify which devices to use the VPN Client on, without requiring the use of a 3rd Party Firmware is excellent news!

Message 5 of 143
Alaric50
Tutor

So, it's the first of April and the new firmware was goint to be available in Mars.
Where do I donwload the new firmware where I can choose my own VPN-supplier?
I's why I bought it and I'm a bit disappointed as no-one mentioned that there was only one option for a VPN-supplier. 

Message 6 of 143
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The latest firmware is available here: https://kb.netgear.com/000055520/How-to-safely-update-your-XR500-Nighthawk-Pro-Gaming-Router-to-firm... it doesn't have the VPN Hybrid. I was under the impression it was to be released sooner than thought. I don't think it will be long until it's released.
Message 7 of 143
racersimage
Guide

I ended up returning mine because I needed to be able to use my own VPN. I’m guessing Netgear, not Netduma, was paid off in order to only provide one VPN option.
Message 8 of 143
Naxterra
Apprentice

Hello

I have EdgeRouter X + XR500. There are no issues when using both of them at the same time. I only encountered one issue, and that was low speed. My speed was stuck around 350-400mbps but my ISP was saying they already set to 700. Today a technician came to my flat, put his laptop directly to ISP output and he received full speed. 

To see what is wrong with my setup, I first removed XR500 and connected my PC directly to EdgeRouter X. I received slow speed. Then I put XR500 and removed EdgeRouter X, I received full speed. I thought EdgeRouter X was faulty but then I searched forums a bit. I found on one topic my solution. Hardware offloading must be enabled. After enabling it, my speed turned to normal. 

Also here is required commands for it;

configure
set system offload hwnat enable
commit
save
exit

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006567467-EdgeRouter-Hardware-Offloading-Explained 

Message 9 of 143
1234kdy
Aspirant

Hi I just bought the etgear xr500 I saw in store that it was a vpn client and I thought thats cool I could really use that as I ussally just use a vpn app or openvpn. But I can't figure out how to choose a differnt VPN server than HideMyAss. No where on the box does it say HideMyAss vpn client. I would like to use this router in china and HideMyAss VPN I have heard doesnt work there. I use NordVPN how do I put that in the VPN client as my VPN server. Very disappointed that it did not say HideMyAss vpn client only on the box if there is no other way to use a differnt vpn. So I could make a more informed on the spot in store decision. As I was asking the store clerks and they were not sure cause it was a new product but told me it should work for me as new routers now have vpn options.  😞 

Firmware Version V2.2.1.10

Message 10 of 143
racersimage
Guide

You could go with a two router solution as others have mentioned or just return it and buy a router with OpenVPN that doesn’t require you to use their own paid VPN service. That’s what I did.
Message 11 of 143
1234kdy
Aspirant

Yea I returned it going to get a different router and going to research a router that fits my needs instead of an impulse buy. Im looking at the routers recommend by my vpn provider. Like flashed routers with the vpn provider.
Message 12 of 143
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear your disappointment. Netduma's VPN solution will be coming and should allow more free choice of VPNs that can be used.
Message 13 of 143
Prolific
Aspirant

Like others I bought this device with the understanding that I could use VPN on the router just as advertised.  Hidemyass is known to keep and share your logs despite their own advertising.  After spending $300 on this device I should not have to purchase an additional router to do the job yours claimed it would do.  When can we expect a firmware upgrade that will implement these features since we are well beyond the originally projected March release?

Message 14 of 143
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

As far as I am aware the VPN was very vague in advertising and achieves what it was said it could do. We (Netduma) are working on the VPN Hybrid solution that will allow you to use other VPN providers if you have their OpenVPN configs. We don't have a date yet for this.
Message 15 of 143
lushka
Guide

Greetings! Any updates with respect to the relevant firmware that would support third party VPN providers?

Thank you

Message 16 of 143
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Hi lushka, it's currently undergoing testing and tweaking but not sure when it will be available to users.
Message 17 of 143
RichardWilliams
Aspirant

Any more news on when this release is coming?

I am just curious, is point 6 in this article a lie or am I mis-reading something or completely got the wrong article? Or am I mising some firmware? I just can't seem to select any servers apart from 'HideMyAss'

https://kb.netgear.com/000053077/What-is-a-gaming-VPN-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-XR500-Nighthawk-g...

Message 18 of 143
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

I believe originally there were 2 providers in the list, not sure why one was removed.

We're testing VPN Hybrid at the moment and I think Netgear will want to do more in depth testing as its a completely new feature.
Message 19 of 143
RichardWilliams
Aspirant

I think I am now completely confused with a few points.

1. Why does this article state that you can select 'your' vpn provider from the list, which is not true?

2. On the netduma sight you have video's etc stating that you have VPN-Hybrid but its not on my firmware, 2.2.1.10, why? Am I missing something?

3. If only now you are testing vpn-hybrid why does it seem from netduma sight that it already exists?

4.I bought this router believing that I could select my vpn provider, is this correct or can I not select the vpn provider yet and if I can not why are there articles from March stating that I can?

Message 20 of 143
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hi Richard,

VPN Hybrid is on the previous version of our firmware, which is currently on the Netduma R1. This is why it is advertised on our website.

We have finished developing it for DumaOS (and it's even better than it was on the R1) so hopefully testing won't take too long and it will be released soon. I'll check with NETGEAR but once there is a stable version of the firmware we could send it over to you for beta testing if you are interested? Let me know if so and I'll look into this for you.

On your first point about why it says 'your VPN', that's a very fair point. Definitely bad wording. I'll pass it on.

Message 21 of 143
wub901
Guide

is there any programme you have to sign up for beta testing fimrmware ?

Message 22 of 143
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No, no specific programme.
Message 23 of 143
RichardWilliams
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

Looks like I bough the wrong router then 😞 I must have missed that there was an R1 router, I would have bought that if I had seen it.

Yes I would be very much interested in taking a beta version please 🙂

Is this VPN-Hybrid allow you to select the VPN I use for all of my devices?

Message 24 of 143
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

XR500 is superior hardware to the R1. We'll send it once we can! Yes it'd enable you to apply it to individual devices/services.
Message 25 of 143
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7