× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Custom VPN?

EmmaParker
Aspirant

I have PureVPN, so can I configure my VPN on this router? And the malware 'VPNFilter' attacked many routers so if I confiure a VPN on it, so does it add a security layer? or would you like to recommend me something else?

Message 26 of 143
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

No just yet but when VPN Hybrid is available then yes. I don't believe the XR500 was on the list of affected routers but here is some advice provided by Netgear on the matter: https://community.netgear.com/t5/General-WiFi-Routers/Security-Advisory-for-VPNFilter-Malware-on-Som...
Message 27 of 143
EmmaParker
Aspirant

Thanks 🙂

Message 28 of 143
RichardWilliams
Aspirant

Hi,

Any news when the Beta version will be released so I can try it out please?

Cheers

Message 29 of 143
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Not yet but we might look into doing one for people if Netgear are fine with it
Message 30 of 143
Xolhid
Apprentice

Fraser, I do appreciate all the hard work you guys have done, but would you guys please refrain from telling customers "next firmware". You guys have a long history and bad reputation of giving false feature release firmware/dates. I have lost count how many features you guys said would be in the "next firmware" that didn't happen. Thank you.

Maybe just use "future release". It encompases a larger time frame without putting you in a corner.

Message 31 of 143
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Thanks for the feedback, I have stopped saying that now 🙂
Message 32 of 143
BeerMonger
Tutor

So I've been lurking this thread since my purchase of the XR500 back in April. My decision to purchase was based on the information provided by the NetDuma rep which as of 6/28/18 has proved to be FALSE. This pending FW update is nothing more than vaporware at this point and since I'm out of my return window, I'm very unhappy.

As a systems administrator, I'm responsible for the procurement of anywhere between $50-75K per quarter on servers,computers and various network appliances. I will make it a mission to NEVER purchase a NetDuma network appliance within my current/future environments and I will gladly share this information with my industry colleagues as well. 

I flat-out refuse to use HMA given the reputation of bending over backwards for local / state / goverment law enforcement. So I've moved back to my faithful Asus AC5300 and the XR500 has been shelved until NetDuma follows through on their promise...but I'm not getting my hopes up...

Message 33 of 143
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Sorry to hear you feel that way but as someone in the industry you must understand there are delays when multiple development teams/SQA teams are working on a project. We're looking into getting beta versions out for people but requires approval from Netgear.
Message 34 of 143
Giggity
Aspirant

Any word when we will be able to use a VPN other then "HideMyAss".  If a release doesnt come soon (before my return date) Im shipping this router back to amazon and I will leave a horrible review.  I was completly mislead with this router and the VPN capabilities. 

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 35 of 143
BeerMonger
Tutor

I also understand the importance of overpromising on something you have yet to deliver on. If you want to assign blame on Netgear makes no difference to me, but that's not going to help your partnership going forward. 

If a beta does exist send it to me, I'll test it, report my findings and sign an NDA if necessary. 

Message 36 of 143
Killhippie
Prodigy

The hybrid VPN will be ready when its fully cooked, untill then you have to be patient, This constant berating of the Netduma team is not helping anyone. Deadlines slip and if Netgear who are the hardware providers and also have thier own firmware on this router want more testing done then you have to wait, along with the rest of us.

Message 37 of 143
Killhippie
Prodigy

You were not misled, dates slip and developing software/firmware is complicated. Also other issues may become more important to fix first for stability over new functionality which is the same with all products of this kind. Netduma have to squash bugs that may appear with different configurations and setups and work along side Netgears firmwares writers too.

Netgear I imagine have the final say in release dates and since there was an update 3 weeks, ago I would wait a while! Also saying you will leave a horrible review unless you get what you want is not the best way to approach the development team and certainly wont get you what you want any faster. The hybrid VPN will be ready when you see it in the release notes and in your routers settings.

Message 38 of 143
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

The advertising you've seen has been for a VPN Client which it does have. I understand your frustration and I've contacted Netgear highly suggesting to them that we have a beta version available.
Message 39 of 143
Giggity
Aspirant

Where does it say you can only use only one VPN service and a horrible one at that???

Im send this back and Im going to leave a wonderful review to boot.  You can all choke on this misleading POS router.

Message 40 of 143
Killhippie
Prodigy

Considering All nighthawks use that same 'Horrible' VPN service you could have found out on easily by searching Google for instance, the Hybrid VPN is Netduma's own creation. The limitation is there on all Nighthawks and the XR500 will be the exception to the rule when the hybrid VPN is released. The only person that misled you, is ironically yourself because if you had done any research before the buying the XR500 you would have found all you needed to know. Good luck with your next purchase.

Message 41 of 143
kendrix
Tutor

when is this expected to be released? I have two vpn services that I utilize, and not the one that you can only use on this IOS??

Message 42 of 143
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

It's going through testing now and NETGEAR will confirm the launch date when they can. Shouldn't be long now.

Message 43 of 143
nickbayleys
Aspirant

Not all VPNs allows you to use unlimited devices. I've used Express VPN with 3 devices, but a month ago I bought Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ for Kodi and I had to switch to Surfshark just to be able to connect the 4th device. Which VPN provider do you use to browse online?

Message 44 of 143
flips55
Aspirant

Hello,

The last update I saw for the firmware update that supports Open VPN was on 8/4/18.  Do you have an update on when we can expect that firmware release?  

Thank you

Message 45 of 143

Hello,

Is there anyway to be notified when the VPN-Hybrid will be avilable for this XR500 router?  I'm one of the fools who purchased the router back in April and have been waiting for this update. 

For 4 months now, they keep saying... "almost there" ....  "just a little longer" .... "it's going to be in the next release".

This is very misleading.  If there anyone out there who actually knows?  I understand that software takes time but this feature has been on the NetDuma site for a very long time.  Is this not a priory for you?

Thanks!

Johnny

Message 46 of 143
BeerMonger
Tutor

I wouldn't hold your breath. Netduma is pointing the finger at Netgear, which is typical industry deflection. The XR500 was released in Q1 and we're halfway through Q3. I can almost guarantee that its successor is right around the corner and the hybrid-VPN feature will marketed as a key selling point. Then you will get a fully-fleshed out product, which means that XR500 owners are nothing more than paying beta customers.

I really wanted to give NetDuma the benefit of the doubt, but they've burned any trust with me going forward. The lack of accountablity on their part is astounding. Below is a post made on their official forums where the go out of the way to blame Netgear and YouTubers. They really could benefit from an actual PR department rather than shaming their paying customers for wanting features that they were promised to receive.

netduma.jpg

Message 47 of 143
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Both Netgear and ourselves will announce on this forum and our own as soon as it’s ready. We want to get it out to you ASAP but as it’s a complicated feature, it’s needed far more testing than usual firmware upgrades.

Please bear with us. There is absolutely no intention of holding this from you for the sake of it, we want you guys using it and enjoying it as soon as possible just as much as you do!
Message 48 of 143
mierwins
Guide

Any updates?  

Message 49 of 143
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Netgear are on top of it and should be finished testing it very soon.
Message 50 of 143
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7