× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Custom VPN?

Alaric50
Tutor

Memes about Waiting forever

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 51 of 143
mierwins
Guide

I suspect one of the older posts was correct.  Netgear site now showing XR700 coming soon.  It'll probably have this feature and those of us who bought an XR500 recently will be stuck with a model that doesn't get any more updates.  

Message 52 of 143
kendrix
Tutor

If that turns out to be true. This would be my last Netgear purchase again.
Message 53 of 143
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

I can confirm this is 100% NOT the case. We'll be rolling out the same features across all DumaOS platforms and we've got a tonne of stuff planned. You won't be disappointed.

Message 54 of 143

I have a request into Amazon to return mine.  I'm going to wait for the new one.

Message 55 of 143
BeerMonger
Tutor

Yeah, I called it in my last post. XR700 is scheduled for release on 10/19 for $500....yes, you read that right, $500

XR700 via Amazon

You noticed that NetDuma didn't even attempt to counter my last statement, because their only response is "Netgear is working on it, you guys are going to love, it's going to packed with awesome features"...deflection, point the finger, zero accountability...they should all go to work for the Trump adminstration, because it appears deception is the ONLY thing they're good at. 

Message 56 of 143

$500 !!???

I bet you $500 the VPN doesn't work.

Message 57 of 143
Alaric50
Tutor

I suppose you're right.
There is no mention of a VPN client in the RX700 manual, only a VPN-server.
Netgear support told me they were working on a VPN-client allready when I bought my R7000 - some years ago!
Then I ended up with DD-WRT instead when I finally gave up.

From the XR700 manual:
"VPN SUPPORT—OpenVPN Connect app on iOS and Android®
VPN allows remote secure access to the home network".

Message 58 of 143
helpmepls321
Aspirant

may i have the beta also ? pls

Message 59 of 143
helpmepls321
Aspirant

may i have teh beta  testing also plss

Message 60 of 143
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

Not available just yet but when it is I can provide it to you.
Message 61 of 143
mierwins
Guide

Please add me to the BETA list as well.  

Message 62 of 143
EzReboot
Aspirant

Please add me to the beta testing as well plz

Message 63 of 143
JonathanK
Aspirant

Can I have the beta too please
Message 64 of 143
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

^Noted - thanks all.

Message 65 of 143

To All XR500 owners,

There is no Beta and there will be no Beta.  If you read this entire thread you'll find that it's full of empty promises.  I'm not sure where you purchased but you can still get a refund from Amazon if you provide them with the details.

I'm so disappointed with Netgear.   First it was the faulty Arlo cameras that had to be replaced. (2 of the 3 that came with the kit) . Then the base failed.  The app has always been weak and full of bugs.  I recently tried the new Arlo Pro 2 cameras and still I am having issues.  

Now I have this XR500 that I purchased for the VPN features.  I caved in and purchased a HMA account so I can use some of the VPN features.  That was a mistake.  The HMA servers are too slow to handle the load.  HMA is still the only option for this router and it's still all or nothing.  I have to send the entire network through my HMA VPN and it's just too slow.  So on top of regretting this router purchase I now am regretting my HMA account.

For what its worth, my R9000 with DDWRT firmware is working.  I spent countless hours getting the config right because the netgear firmware was insufficient.  

Who has time to buy and test all these routers?  Lies, false advertisement on the merchandise packaging and then more false advertisement on the Netgear Community website.  I don't understand how they get away with it.  Maybe because good quality hardware is too expensive?  So we are all stuck with this crap hardware?

Sorry about the negative rant.  I hope you all have a better Netgear experience in the future.  I hope they start shipping finished product.
Message 66 of 143
helpmepls321
Aspirant

hi any update about vpn? do the new 

Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR700 Router have vpn ?

Message 67 of 143
helpmepls321
Aspirant

last question on my netgear xr 500 it have VPN Service  do that work on my  NordVPN ?

Message 68 of 143
schumaku
Guru

@helpmepls321 wrote:

last question on my netgear xr 500 it have VPN Service  do that work on my  NordVPN ?

@helpmepls321 wrote:

hi any update about vpn? do the new 

Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR700 Router have vpn ?

Same limited VPN Server plus some HMA only. Message 2 and 68 of this thread by @Netduma_Jack still apply to all Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR roputer models. One day one might see the Hybrid VPN promised.

Message 69 of 143
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

VPN server is not dependent on a VPN provider, you can use it without. It has a different purpose than a VPN Client. VPN Hybrid is coming soon, still waiting on Netgear to finish testing.
Message 70 of 143
DLlasa
Aspirant

This was also a key feature in my decision to purchase the XR500 4-5 months ago. Im disappointed that its still no where to be found. But what is really bothersome, is that it is very much known by the Netdumo and Netgeat team that this feature doesnt exist on the XR500, and hasnt in a long time, why is it still advertised as existing?

i litterally just checked the amazon page listing and it still shows:
"Gaming VPN - Support your existing VPN service"

knowing that there is apparently no known date, you might save yourself from an increassing pool of frustrated customers if you all stop advertising features that dont exist, or at least note they are (coming soon) whatever soon means.. it at least makes it clear its not an existing feature.. im very disapointed with this purchase and will seriously consider this when i look at future purchases.

Message 71 of 143
schumaku
Guru

@ChristineT yet another biiig problem for Netgear's Pro Gaming Router (DumaOS based). On 24 January 2018, the NetDuma CTO Iain posted http://forum.netduma.com/topic/23376-vpn-client/ this:

"Sorry for the misunderstanding on the VPN feature. NETGEAR have already agreed to include our VPN feature in future firmware. It is a prioritised feature as well so should be available in less than a month. I'm not sure if you've returned it already but we can give you early access to the VPN feature as soon as we develop it. The VPN feature in DumaOS is even more powerful as we have much more advanced DPI so you can pick by device and/or most applications which go through the VPN.

Finally in terms of how DumaOS roadmap the best explanation is DumaOS consists of two parts. A top half and a bottom half, the top half conssits of all our R-Apps and bottom half consists of drivers that control the hardware. The reason I mention it is that any top half feature we add will automatically work on all platforms. So NETGEAR will defintely get all our top features, and the road-map ahead is very rich."

We're writing almost October 2018, and the promised Hyper VPN is still nowhere on the XR routers. Both Netgear and NetDuma reps repeated about the same in this community - obvious without any deliverables yet. My list for prospect one-way Timbuktu ticket recepients is growing fast.

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 72 of 143
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

It's not advertising the VPN Hybrid, it's advertising the existing VPN client
Message 73 of 143
schumaku
Guru

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
It's not advertising the VPN Hybrid, it's advertising the existing VPN client

The "existing" does point ot the What is a gaming VPN and how do I set it up on my Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router? KB entry - where _one_ unnamed(!!!!) VPN provider is implemented when I have it right. The problem Netgears customers are complaining is based on the non-availability of a feature your CTO Iain announced on January 24 2018 in the Netduma forum for the Netgear routers, and several Netduma reps repeated the "coming up" Hybrid VPN, promised "soon Beta", blah blah - just scroll up. Now Netgear's ignorance and worst in class product management does start to hit Netduma and DumaOS reputation - not "just" Netgears Business BU, too. I'm talking about virtually hundreds of problems on the Nighthawk and R6xxx and DSL Router and Cable Router devices somebody tries to ignore or pint fix on one or the other box. Yes, I am very disappointed about Netgear Consumer Business unit! Enough said. @ChristineT hurry up before it's to late and the layers start to send claims to the courts.

Message 74 of 143
DLlasa
Aspirant

"It's not advertising the VPN Hybrid, it's advertising the existing VPN client"

So you are trying to tell me that the item i highlighted in the attached screenshot is valid??

Message 75 of 143
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7