× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: XR500 Custom VPN?

divinebug
Aspirant

Ha ha, at least your R7000 had DD-WRT support 😞 my R6900 doesnt even have that so i'm stuck with it.

Message 76 of 143
schumaku
Guru

@DLlasa put the screenshot in as an attachment - the in-line pics take much to long to be moderated. Meanwhile, there must be some fire under the roof at various Netgear sites.

Another difficult item to change this ***** config on this wonder of SaaS @ChristineT 8-/ 

Message 77 of 143

Please add me to the beta. It's been nearly 7 months since this thread was started and still absolutely nothing about when this feature will be released...just what seem to be empty promises along the lines of "it'll be here soon!". 

Model: XR500| Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 78 of 143
helpmepls321
Aspirant

true sadface thinking about sellin my netgear soon 

Message 79 of 143
DLlasa
Aspirant

Yea suprisingly i have considered selling it as well and just trying to find some solid hardware for dd-wrt or something, at least it would do whats on the tin.
Message 80 of 143
Netduma-Fraser
NetDuma Partner

We're waiting on Netgear for final approval, they want a few things changed which won't take us long. They may want to then test again before a release. We will keep people posted and provide a version to users pre release when available.
Message 81 of 143

FYI - I was able to return my XR500 to Amazon but I had to pay a $30 restocking fee.  I'm going to try to find an affordable replacment.  Good Luck All!

Message 82 of 143
Matranti
Initiate

Not posted on here before but having followed multiple threads on the VPN or lack thereof, is there any update as to when support will be provided for VPNs other than HMA?

I feel that after 10 months of 'progression' that in fact support will not be provided until the XR700 has been sold to enough customers for an undoubtedly massive profit.  What is dissappointing is that the XR500 was not cheap but has blatantly been missold to consumers.  Currently I can not reccommend this router to anyone owing to the fact of it lacking a key feature it was advertised to have.

If anyone is interested in buying this router then mine will be on a popular auction site shortly should the firmware we are led to believe is in existance not be released in the very near future.

Message 83 of 143
kendrix
Tutor

I hear you, and agree. I have made my last Netgear purchase due to the false advertisement of this overly expensive paperweight.
Message 84 of 143
Maniacal
Guide

Agreed. Never going Netgear again and will be communicating my experience on every social media platform if and when relevant. 

Edit - just for anyone reading this thread, thinking that Netgear may still be operating with integrity. 

"I can confirm this is 100% NOT the case. We'll be rolling out the same features across all DumaOS platforms and we've got a tonne of stuff planned. You won't be disappointed.@Netduma_Jack on the 6th Sept

http://forum.netduma.com/topic/26285-xr700-firmware-1012-with-hybrid-vpn/ - Netduma forums - 

"Noticed this is now up in Netgears download section, of more interest is it says it supports the Hybrid VPN feature, which the XR500 does not! Hope the XR500 does not end up trailing behind the XR700 but I'm wondering if Netgear will push certain features to its higher end device after seeing this."

"We'll follow this up with NETGEAR immediately. Certainly was no intention for one NETGEAR model to trail another in terms of features. A key component of DumaOS is that our features can be rolled out across multiple hardware at the same time because of how well it's designed."

"If you read the above comments by myself and Netduma you will have read that it was Netgear who failed to add it to the last F.W release not Netduma. Netduma have contacted Netgear to have it added on the next firmware release."

So we can clearly see that Netgear are the ones who have failed to add the feature, and have been notified of this issue for over a month now with no actions to resolve (considering this issue has been going on for months as this thread illustrates). Deceptive and misleading Netgear, and as said, that will be my response whenever I'm asked. 

Message 85 of 143
Matranti
Initiate

I have absolutely no doubt that this is all on netgear. It's annoying and amusing that they have announced the feature in a firmware update on an unreleased product whilst we're waiting for it to be released on the actual product the consumer was sold.

As per the thread you linked, I'll be contacting net gear for a model upgrade should they skip the xr500 for the hybrid vpn.
Message 86 of 143

It has now been a month and a half since my first post and still absolutely nothing from Netgear on this. The only person I see replying to this thread is Netduma-Fraser and this is the Netgear forums!!! What is wrong with Netgear support? Where are you guys at? You have several angry customers who feel like they've been deceived after buying your product. You need to get this fixed ASAP! At least let us know you still somehow care...
Message 87 of 143
Rogers8842
Tutor

Netgear doesn't care. Last Netgear router I buy. All over some silly upsell scheme for a VPN feature.
Message 88 of 143
schumaku
Guru

@Netduma-Fraser wrote:
We're waiting on Netgear for final approval, they want a few things changed which won't take us long. They may want to then test again before a release. We will keep people posted and provide a version to users pre release when available.

This was on 1 October 2018. Any update from Netgear on the subject please @ChristineT @Christian_R ? 

Message 89 of 143
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Don't want to overtsep the mark and make promises on NETGEAR's behalf, but it really shouldn't be long at all now!

Message 90 of 143
Maniacal
Guide

Sorry @Netduma_Jack, no one has any credibility anymore as far as I’m concerned. This a post from Feb, and there have been various other promises along the way. VPN Hybrid is live in the XR700, and now we’re supposed to believe there are significant changes enough  to send it back to testing phase for the XR500? I call BS and Netgear simply trying to delay launch so they don’t screw with the XR700 sales. Either that or NetDuma were way off saying that their software was robust and built well enough so that features could be rolled out across multiple models. 

“I totally understand and will be much more powerful than the standard VPN client that is currently used. You'll be able to select the individual devices that are VPN'd rather than applying to all devices. If you're interested it will be very similar to this: https://netduma.com/features/vpn-hybrid/

It will be available in March.

Message 4 of 90”
Message 91 of 143
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Hey man - could you post in this thread please to let us know you would like to test Hybrid VPN. http://forum.netduma.com/topic/26143-vpn-users-required/

If NETGEAR do a field test, then we can make sure you will be one of the first to get it.

Message 92 of 143
Maniacal
Guide

@Netduma_Jack already there mate, under Korbz from a few days ago. 

Message 93 of 143
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Nice one. Thanks

Message 94 of 143
NickSTL
Tutor

So, where can I download this promised firmware that allows me to configure a custom VPN?

Message 95 of 143
mierwins
Guide

Oooooh! I can answer this one for you.

It will be available very very soon! LMAO! Best joke ever. It’s like the Fyre festival! Maybe we can get some hot models to post that on their Instagram too.
Message 96 of 143

It was finally released in firmware 2.3.2.40

https://kb.netgear.com/000060464/XR500-Firmware-Version-2-3-2-40

Message 97 of 143
Netduma_Jack
NetDuma Partner

Message 98 of 143
mierwins
Guide

Thanks for the update and adding us to the beta as you said you would. Communication is just terrible.
Message 99 of 143
mierwins
Guide

I downlaoded this last week and it's still not a custom VPN.  It's a VPN for two providers which was increased from one.  Seriously?  What a waste of a feature since it does nothign to support custom VPN settings.    There's a myriad of open source VPN clients you could have integrated into your build.  Why has this still not been completed?

You should be ashamed of dragging everyone on this thread out for so long and then releasing a half-baked solution.  Unbelievable!

What's everyone else using now instead of this highly overpriced, feature lacking router?

Message 100 of 143
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7